Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

‘Anti-homeless’ spikes outside London flats

metal spikes london flats southwark bridge road homeless people metal studs

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,363 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Metal spikes installed outside a complex of plush London flats, apparently to stop homeless people from sleeping there, have sparked outrage.

The 17-inch long metal studs are embedded in the floor outside a block of luxury flats on Southwark Bridge Road in central London.

http://metro.co.uk/2...utrage-4753547/

Posted Image

#2    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,113 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

POPULAR

I see a hazard for children and a trip hazard with those things. Its stupid. Maybe they should put money into shelters instead of spikes.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#3    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Out of sight out of mind,deter the homeless from sleeping in the view of the public and pretend the problem doesn't exist.

#4    MissJatti

MissJatti

SuperNatural

• 1,983 posts

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

a danger to children, the drunkard, and local animals, and anyone else who are not a homeless person (physically that is)

Edited by ThesillyfunnyguyIDK, 08 June 2014 - 12:00 PM.

Posted Image

#5    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

Psychic Spy

• 1,392 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostThesillyfunnyguyIDK, on 08 June 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

a danger to children, the drunkard, and local animals, and anyone else who are not a homeless person (physically that is)

I like the idea of keeping away undesirable types. No one wants to see them sleeping in their area, leaving dirty needles and empty vodka bottles lying about. To avoid injuries to others maybe the studs should be coated in rubber?

#6    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostRabidMongoose, on 08 June 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

I like the idea of keeping away undesirable types. No one wants to see them sleeping in their area, leaving dirty needles and empty vodka bottles lying about. To avoid injuries to others maybe the studs should be coated in rubber?

Of course. Because anyone homeless is a drug addict or drunk. Idiot. Tell you what, you spend just one night on the streets and you can comment on where people should and shouldn't sleep.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#7    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

Psychic Spy

• 1,392 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostSetton, on 08 June 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Of course. Because anyone homeless is a drug addict or drunk. Idiot. Tell you what, you spend just one night on the streets and you can comment on where people should and shouldn't sleep.

Why exactly should we put up with them sleeping on our property? Its not their right.

I agree that not all are alcholics and drug addicts but I think you need to accept that the majority are. WIth no income, or at most Jobseekers, I think you should also realise the amount of crime they commit to feed their habits. Let me ask you if you were a parent would you:

Want your kids finding their dirty needles?
Want the break-ins and thefts from your property?
Want your property prices to decline because no one wants to live in an area litered by tramps?

There are shelters for them, that is where they go, not peoples doorsteps. Studs, rubber coated, save the Police a lot of time having to remove them.

Edited by RabidMongoose, 08 June 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#8    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

View PostRabidMongoose, on 08 June 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Why exactly should we put up with them sleeping on our property? Its not their right.

Because you're a human (albeit only technically) and they are fellow humans who need help?

I agree that not all are alcholics and drug addicts but I think you need to accept that the majority are. WIth no income, or at most Jobseekers, I think you should also realise the amount of crime they commit to feed their habits. Let me ask you if you were a parent would you:

Want your kids finding their dirty needles?
Want the break-ins and thefts from your property?
Want your property prices to decline because no one wants to live in an area litered by tramps?

Data? Or is this just your preconceptions? Perhaps if more people like you stopped blaming people and tried helping them, this wouldn't be an issue.

There are shelters for them, that is where they go, not peoples doorsteps. Studs, rubber coated, save the Police a lot of time having to remove them.

Do you have any idea how much of a difference there is between the number of shelter spaces available and the number of people without a home?

Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. It's cold and raining, you've not eaten today but hopefully sleep will give you a short break from the constant ache. Thankfully, you find a covered doorway. The floor's as hard and uncomfortable as anywhere else but at least it's dry. But some b******'s put metal spikes on it simply because they don't want you spoiling the ambience of their exclusive apartments. Oh but it's all fine because these metal spikes are covered in rubber!

'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#9    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,521 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 08 June 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

Metal spikes installed outside a complex of plush London flats, apparently to stop homeless people from sleeping there, have sparked outrage.

The 17-inch long metal studs are embedded in the floor outside a block of luxury flats on Southwark Bridge Road in central London.

http://metro.co.uk/2...utrage-4753547/
They are nowhere near 17 - inches long! from the photos they are no more than 1,5 inches long and blunt.

I do not want people sleeping on my property, and would take measures to ensure that my environment was safe and secure for my family. There are other options available to the homeless whereby shelter is available, if they are illegal immigrants then they can always hand themselves into the authorities and be housed prior to their eviction from the country.

Any that ARE drug addicts who leave their paraphernalia and needles where children can find them, are no better than vermin

For the indolent I would welcome a return to the Workhouses (modified to be less strict and regimented) whereby food, clothing, education and shelter was given in return for a fair day's work

Edited by keithisco, 08 June 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,911 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

I can hear injury compensation lawyers rubbing their hands.

Some nice rose bushes would be a better idea..  Those spikes are an eyesore as well as an accident waiting to happen.

Edited by Eldorado, 08 June 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#11    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 08 June 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

They are nowhere near 17 - inches long! from the photos they are no more than 1,5 inches long and blunt.

Think it's meant to say 17 inch-long. As in 17 spikes, each of which is one inch long.

I do not want people sleeping on my property, and would take measures to ensure that my environment was safe and secure for my family. There are other options available to the homeless whereby shelter is available, if they are illegal immigrants then they can always hand themselves into the authorities and be housed prior to their eviction from the country.

For the indolent I would welcome a return to the Workhouses (modified to be less strict and regimented) whereby food, clothing, education and shelter was given in return for a fair day's work

Read above. Many of these people are not homeless out of choice but because their homes became untenable, often through no fault of their own. If you don't want people sleeping on your property, how about putting the money that you'd spend on spikes or mantraps into a homeless charity to help them get off the streets?

At any rate, I foresee much suing ahead. Could be a pretty good redistribution of wealth actually :)

Edited by Setton, 08 June 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#12    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

Psychic Spy

• 1,392 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostSetton, on 08 June 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

Because you're a human (albeit only technically) and they are fellow humans who need help?

I can imagine a few people, a few geniune cases, where someone ends up homeless through no fault of their own. However most are down and outs who made poor life choices. I dont care for people like that and find your insults amusing.

Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. It's cold and raining, you've not eaten today but hopefully sleep will give you a short break from the constant ache. Thankfully, you find a covered doorway. The floor's as hard and uncomfortable as anywhere else but at least it's dry. But some b******'s put metal spikes on it simply because they don't want you spoiling the ambience of their exclusive apartments. Oh but it's all fine because these metal spikes are covered in rubber!

Sadly some people learn their lessons the hard way.

#13    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

Psychic Spy

• 1,392 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 08 June 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

Any that ARE drug addicts who leave their paraphernalia and needles where children can find them, are no better than vermin

They should be put in workhouses. I suspect that the behavioural and criminal problems a lot of them have would lead to them even ruining that opportunity.

Your reply mirrors my thinking, I agree with you.

Edited by RabidMongoose, 08 June 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#14    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostRabidMongoose, on 08 June 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

I can imagine a few people, a few geniune cases, where someone ends up homeless through no fault of their own. However most are down and outs who made poor life choices. I dont care for people like that and find your insults amusing.

I repeat: try looking at actual data not your own prejudices.

Sadly some people learn their lessons the hard way.

Quite so. I look forward to the day that applies to you. Assuming you manage to learn anything.

#15    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,521 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostSetton, on 08 June 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

Think it's meant to say 17 inch-long. As in 17 spikes, each of which is one inch long.

Read above. Many of these people are not homeless out of choice but because their homes became untenable, often through no fault of their own. If you don't want people sleeping on your property, how about putting the money that you'd spend on spikes or mantraps into a homeless charity to help them get off the streets?

At any rate, I foresee much suing ahead. Could be a pretty good redistribution of wealth actually :)

You do not know me so do not assume I do not make charitable donations where I live... I support an orphanage, a charity that rehouses people whose homes have been repossessed by banks, and a charity that provides Vacation Relief to families without the means to do so because their income is so low. These are all in my own area of Spain. It comes to 3 - 5000 euros a month ie more than 15% of my own disposable income, for which I get no Tax Relief.

How about you? Plenty of words, how about your contribution to those in needs as a percentage of your income?

You have now included "Mantraps" in your list of measures against indolents sleeping where they are not welcome, where in the article do I see "Mantraps"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users