Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are you an unwitting karma yogi ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• News Writer
  • 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Sandy Chase</strong>
Image credit: Sandy Chase
Brendan D. Murphy: As personalities, we were all "born" from the One timeless consciousness — the Eternal/Absolute/Brahman — and it is back to this awareness that we all wend our unique paths. There are as many paths back to Reality as there are people—and we all arrive in the end. The yogi philosophy teaches that the best way to accelerate one's personal spiritual evolution and thus, the journey home, is through the practice of yoga. There are considered to be three primary sub-categories of yoga: Raja yoga, Gnani yoga, and Karma yoga.

We're going to focus on Karma yoga here, because in a fast-paced and materialistic world where many people feel burdened by a sense of powerlessness, misfortune, heavy responsibility, and/or dreary obligations, the option of sitting, meditating and living like a yogi may seem neither practical nor appealing.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Martin0315

Martin0315

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

• "We're not allowed to know."--character "Alexander Leek" in the movie The Mothman Prophecies

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

There was one major yoga which was left out:  Bhakti Yoga, the yoga of love and devotion.  Christianity is a prime example of Bhakti Yoga, according to the way some Hindu/Vedantic thinkers interpret it.  As I understand it, a prime example of Jnana Yoga would be Buddhism, which stresses direct knowledge of the Ultimate Reality without relying on devotion to a personal God.  (However, Buddhism does have a Bhakti Yoga and Christian Gnostics stress direct knowledge of the Divine, or Jnana Yoga.) These two Yogas are on the surface diametrically opposed, but they are said to lead to the same Goal.  The seeker is free to choose his particular Yoga according to his conscience and his capabilities.  A person might not be suited for Karma Yoga, for instance, but he might be able to progress quickly in Jnana Yoga or Bhakti Yoga.

Needless to say, I've been greatly influenced by Vedantic teachings for most of my life.

Edited by Martin0315, 13 June 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#3    John Wesley Boyd

John Wesley Boyd

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

• "A reverence for life does not require a man to respect Nature's obvious mistakes." Robert Heinlein

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

No, I.m A Dharma bum.

"I wonder how harmless such people are? To what extent civilization is retarded by the laughing jackasses, the empty-minded belittlers?"  Robert Heinlein from Have Spacesuit--Will Travel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users