Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama reflects on gun control's failure

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,154 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

The president has given up on gun control, now the rest of the liberals just need to step in line.

From the article:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A year ago, on the day a gun control push in the Senate went down in flames, President Barack Obama stood with former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and parents of Newtown victims in the Rose Garden and declared, "This effort is not over."
On Tuesday, a mournful president conceded he was ashamed as an American and terrified as a parent that the United States can't find it in its soul to put a stop to rampant shooting sprees. Barring a fundamental shift in public opinion, Obama said, "it will not change."
"My biggest frustration so far is the fact that this society has not been willing to take some basic steps to keep guns out of the hands of people who can do just unbelievable damage," Obama said.
No developed nation on earth would put up with mass shootings that happen now once a week and disappear from the news within a day, Obama said — no nation except America.
It was a moment of bleak reflection and weary resignation for Obama, who thought universal background checks were the least the country could do after a 20-year-old with a semi-automatic rifle shot his way into a Connecticut elementary school in 2012 and massacred 20 children.
"We should be ashamed of that," Obama said, hours after yet another deadly school shooting, this time in Oregon. "There's no place else like this."

Sounds like he's ashamed to be an American.  Oh well, I'm ashamed he's an American too.

Read it here

#2    scorpiosonic

scorpiosonic

Still Skeptical

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

He's got ALOT more to be ashamed of! :yes:

#3    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,279 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:20 AM

View PostOverSword, on 10 June 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:

On Tuesday, a mournful president conceded he was ashamed as an American and terrified as a parent that the United States can't find it in its soul to put a stop to rampant shooting sprees.
"My biggest frustration so far is the fact that this society has not been willing to take some basic steps to keep guns out of the hands of people who can do just unbelievable damage," Obama said.
No developed nation on earth would put up with mass shootings that happen now once a week and disappear from the news within a day, Obama said — no nation except America..
"We should be ashamed of that," Obama said, hours after yet another deadly school shooting, this time in Oregon. "There's no place else like this."

Truer words have never been spoken. Maybe the gun nuts will kill themselves.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,154 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

View Postninjadude, on 11 June 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

Truer words have never been spoken. Maybe the gun nuts will kill themselves.
I can see how some would believe that.  Not the part about the gun nuts but the section you quoted from the top.

Edited by OverSword, 11 June 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#5    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

We should all be ashamed and appalled at these shootings. What is happening in our country that people think a solution is to pick up a gun and shoot a child? And when we see posts that reflect no grief for the victims and their families, but just another opportunity to attack our President, as if a child's death is besides the point unless it presents another opportunity to be scornful of a politician, as if contempt and scorn is the most pertinent thing? And no suggestions about possible solutions, no, of course not, because apparently that's besides the point, too.

Edited by Beany, 11 June 2014 - 05:05 AM.

#6    scorpiosonic

scorpiosonic

Still Skeptical

• Closed
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

You do bring a good point Beany...and we can also blame our do-nothing Congress for not doing anything.

But so many ppl own guns here, it may be too late for any realistic gun controls. :unsure2:

There are responsible and irresponsible gun owners.

What about the story just out: 2 Men grab a 16 yr old girl in front of her house, hold her a gun-point to make her go back into her house!!! BUT, Her Dad and Mom had seen what was going down, so they grabbed their guns. The Father shot them both, killed one on the spot, the other scrambled away, but was later arrested while in Hospital.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Interesting to note that the forum was hosted via Tumblr and involved its CEO - you know Tumblr one of the largest disseminators of sexual and violent images targeted at children and young teens on the internet.  Just for fun I just did a search for "school shootings" on Tumblr and could barely get off the first page before I started seeing posts from people who wanted to m********e to the images of the shooters/victims and just generally glorifying the shooters.

But yeah, guns.

Edited by Rafterman, 11 June 2014 - 10:39 AM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#8    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

seems in line with his cabinet tactic.  first he wanted to punish all for crimes of few, not that we did not let him, he blames us all for things few do.

yet not a word on mental health problem we see getting bigger and bigger.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

Also funny how he didn't mention that the rate of shootings and especially mass shootings continues to decrease.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#10    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostRafterman, on 11 June 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

Also funny how he didn't mention that the rate of shootings and especially mass shootings continues to decrease.

Where'd you get that information? I'd like to see the stats. If it's true it's decreasing, I wonder why? Could it be the aging male population, us baby boomers, who have decreased levels of testosterone that often drive violent behavior? Is it declining across all age groups, or just some? All ethnic groups, socio-economic groups, etc? You statement is simple & straightforward, but it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

That shootings continue to decrease is of little comfort to the families of victims. And we need to figure out how to stop attacks on our school children, the most vulnerable segment of our population, who rely on adults to keep them safe. In this regard, as a nation, we are failing our children.

Edited by Beany, 14 June 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#11    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,154 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

I don't own any guns and yet despite the truth of beany's 2nd paragraph, am adamant in my wish that the government in no way impede the ability of any qualified American to own a gun or to narrow the description of who is qualified.

#12    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 2,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

View PostRafterman, on 11 June 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

I don't really think anything involving mass shootings is funny...but ok...

#13    preacherman76

preacherman76

Ntwadumela- He who greets with fire

• 12,665 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

First thing I support from this man. Good move. Walk away defeated.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#14    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

An interesting series of statements from Barack.

Pardon the cynical view, but I cannot help but wonder if he actually believes the fable of Newtown, or does he actually know that it was a training exercise, a staged event?

Working toward the end of his administrations, I wonder if other moments of candor like this will be forthcoming?

#15    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• 1,842 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostOverSword, on 14 June 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

I don't own any guns and yet despite the truth of beany's 2nd paragraph, am adamant in my wish that the government in no way impede the ability of any qualified American to own a gun or to narrow the description of who is qualified.

What are your views on concepts like background checks or restrictions on gun ownership for people who've been diagnosed with mental illnesses which predispose them to violence?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users