Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Border Patrol will continue lethal tactics

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,944 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

From the article:

The US Border Patrol will continue to use lethal force against people throwing rocks, as well as people inside vehicles—ignoring a set of recommendations from an independent review of lethal-force practices at the agency.

Border Patrol Chief Mike Fisher told the Associated Press in an interview that the recommendations were “too restrictive” and that “just to say that you shouldn’t shoot at rock-throwers or vehicles for us, in our environment, was very problematic and could potentially put Border Patrol agents in danger.”

Twenty people have been killed by the Border Patrol since 2010, and last year sixteen members of Congress demanded an investigation into the death of Anastasio Hernandez Rojas, an undocumented immigrant who was tased and beaten by Border Patrol agents.

People on the Mexican side of the US border will often toss rocks at agents in order to create a diversion and open space in a nearby border area. The use of deadly force against people throwing rocks is an unfortunately common theme in these deaths; eight of the twenty people killed by the Border Patrol since 2010 were accused of throwing rocks at agents.

The Border Patrol reported 185 rock attacks last year, and in twenty-two cases lethal force was used. Another forty-two times, “less-than-lethal force” was used, which can include batons and pepper spray.

One particular case has galvanized activist anger against the Border Patrol: on October 10, 2012, a 16-year-old Mexican boy was shot eleven times by agents after they allegedly saw him throwing rocks in their direction. An autopsy revealed that all but one shot hit the teenager from behind.

Wow.  What a bunch of gutless bungholes.  Shooting and killing people because they are throwing rocks at you over a fence?  Shame on you cowards.

Read it here

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,984 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:48 AM

I'm not sure about the rock throwing, but they probably deal with drug dealers and traffickers fairly often, so holding the right to use lethal force on vehicles is just smart.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,546 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:09 AM

View PostWickian, on 11 June 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

I'm not sure about the rock throwing, but they probably deal with drug dealers and traffickers fairly often, so holding the right to use lethal force on vehicles is just smart.
I suspect that eventually the BP will be castrated entirely under this president. I don't agree that unarmed people should be gunned down but if rocks are being thrown in large numbers against BP agents then they should have the right to defend themselves with deadly force.  Anyone who thinks rocks are harmless should allow someone to cast a few in their direction - just for a little reality check.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#4    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

BP have every right to fight back

#5    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 1,510 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

Of course they should use lethal force.  In every gun control thread, there is the argument that a knife, fork, spoon, anything really (even rocks) can be used to kill.

#6    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,944 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

But shooting citizens in their own country from over the border is unacceptable and is actually an act of war.  I'm pretty sure you can stay 30 yards away from the fence and they can't easily hit you with a rock.  Also the case that has brought focus on this is where a boy was shot in the back 11 times for allegedly throwing rocks.  Sounds like murder to me.  Unfortunately many US police officers get away with murder far too often these days, and who cares anyways right?  After all it was a Mexican not an American.

#7    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostOverSword, on 11 June 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

Also the case that has brought focus on this is where a boy was shot in the back 11 times for allegedly throwing rocks.  Sounds like murder to me.  Unfortunately many US police officers get away with murder far too often these days, and who cares anyways right?  After all it was a Mexican not an American.

The article said that 10 of 11 bullets hit him in the back, not all 11. If the first one hit him and caused him to spin around the others would hit him in the back. Not saying this is what happened because I have no idea, but it seems possible to me.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#8    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,489 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

too many details are missing, there can be many explanations why it happened like that,

RESIDENT TROLL.

#9    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 1,510 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

View Postaztek, on 11 June 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

too many details are missing, there can be many explanations why it happened like that,

Of course they are missing.  The details would most likely remove the shock value of the article.

#10    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,944 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostBama13, on 11 June 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

The article said that 10 of 11 bullets hit him in the back, not all 11. If the first one hit him and caused him to spin around the others would hit him in the back. Not saying this is what happened because I have no idea, but it seems possible to me.

View Postaztek, on 11 June 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

View PostAgent0range, on 11 June 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

Of course they are missing.  The details would most likely remove the shock value of the article.
Yeah, you're probably right.  If somebody threw a rock at me and I was holding a gun it would no doubt be appropriate for me to shoot him once in the front and eleven times in the back.  After all if I had only shot him once he may have still had the capacity to throw another rock.  The only way I could be certain I was safe would be to kill him.  That'll teach the little punk to throw rocks.

#11    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,984 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostOverSword, on 11 June 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Yeah, you're probably right.  If somebody threw a rock at me and I was holding a gun it would no doubt be appropriate for me to shoot him once in the front and eleven times in the back.  After all if I had only shot him once he may have still had the capacity to throw another rock.  The only way I could be certain I was safe would be to kill him.  That'll teach the little punk to throw rocks.
Shooting him may be wrong if all he did was throw a rock, but come on.  What kind of idiots decide to go and throw rocks as military personnel holding assault rifles?  It's just plain stupid.

#12    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,489 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

View PostWickian, on 11 June 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

Shooting him may be wrong if all he did was throw a rock, but come on.  

well, thing is, if you let them throw rocks, and do nothing, next time they will throw "molotov special", or hand granade.  you can take risk like that, if it was up to me, i'd shoot anyone that threw anything at BP,  you got to let them know hard way, not to throw anything. or you will be killed. do not care if they are behind the fence on their side, their rock is flying over the fence, so should bullets.

Edited by aztek, 11 June 2014 - 08:07 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 11,645 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

View PostOverSword, on 11 June 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

From the article:

The US Border Patrol will continue to use lethal force against people throwing rocks, as well as people inside vehicles—ignoring a set of recommendations from an independent review of lethal-force practices at the agency.
Border Patrol Chief Mike Fisher told the Associated Press in an interview that the recommendations were “too restrictive” and that “just to say that you shouldn’t shoot at rock-throwers or vehicles for us, in our environment, was very problematic and could potentially put Border Patrol agents in danger.”
Twenty people have been killed by the Border Patrol since 2010, and last year sixteen members of Congress demanded an investigation into the death of Anastasio Hernandez Rojas, an undocumented immigrant who was tased and beaten by Border Patrol agents.
People on the Mexican side of the US border will often toss rocks at agents in order to create a diversion and open space in a nearby border area. The use of deadly force against people throwing rocks is an unfortunately common theme in these deaths; eight of the twenty people killed by the Border Patrol since 2010 were accused of throwing rocks at agents.
The Border Patrol reported 185 rock attacks last year, and in twenty-two cases lethal force was used. Another forty-two times, “less-than-lethal force” was used, which can include batons and pepper spray.
One particular case has galvanized activist anger against the Border Patrol: on October 10, 2012, a 16-year-old Mexican boy was shot eleven times by agents after they allegedly saw him throwing rocks in their direction. An autopsy revealed that all but one shot hit the teenager from behind.
Wow.  What a bunch of gutless bungholes.  Shooting and killing people because they are throwing rocks at you over a fence?  Shame on you cowards.
Read it here
We're being bombarded by thousands of missiles.   So it's time to blockade Mexico from land, sea and air and build new colonies on Mexico's prime hilltop real estate.   :w00t:

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#14    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:00 AM

One of the articles I read stated the reason for the rock throwing was to distract the border patrol agents while their friends snuck across the border.  If they are stopping to shoot at them I am going to say the strategy is working.

#15    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,719 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

View PostOverSword, on 11 June 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

But shooting citizens in their own country from over the border is unacceptable and is actually an act of war.

Apparently not.  No one seems to think of this as anything other than an act of self-defense, including Mexico, who would be the one responsible for declaring Casus Belli.

I'm pretty sure you can stay 30 yards away from the fence and they can't easily hit you with a rock.

Pretty difficult to catch suspected drug mules by staying 30 yards away.

Also the case that has brought focus on this is where a boy was shot in the back 11 times for allegedly throwing rocks.  Sounds like murder to me.

Well, sure, but that you, so automatically we know there must be more to the story.

Unfortunately many US police officers get away with murder far too often these days, and who cares anyways right?  After all it was a Mexican not an American.

Did you know the guy who shot him 15 times in the back was a Mexican?

Did you know it was actually his own brother?

Did you know he secretly snuck into the United States and posed as a Border Patrol Guard for 2 years in order to find and kill his brother for involving their family with a drug cartel that ultimately resulted in the stray gunfire death of his little sister and his mother, making the whole thing a case of family honor?

True story.  Really.  Don't bother checking up on it or nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users