Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Can any scents induce deeper meditation?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,952 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

More than likely they will be a distraction; either the pleasure or the irritation as the case may be.  However, I see no harm in it.  There are plenty of other distractions anyway and concentrating on a scent is better than concentrating on an ache or an itch.  I guess I'm pretty basic and like concentrating on my breathing.

#17    sutemi

sutemi

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hi Frank, Like the post. Here is a quote from a fellow country man, Thich Nhat Hanh.
‘Thoughts come and go like clouds on a windy day, Conscious breathing is my anchor’

#18    sutemi

sutemi

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hi Meoyoatey, If you can keep focused for 10 minutes you are doing really well, but then what is it that judges? I have a friend who recently started meditating and he was joking about, saying how good it was for his D.I.Y. jobs as every time he sat to practice he would think of all those little jobs he had not finished or bothered with and had done them all in an effort to shut up his noise maker. I don’t judge my practice any more, I just practice and go about my day. As the old Zen saying goes ‘Before enlightenment I chopped wood and carried water, after enlightenment I chop wood and carry water’ We all can get lost in trying to achieve some preset goals we have heard of or read somewhere, but everyone is unique, so in the end it is about what’s good for you. I do formal meditation mostly in the morning and so take the peace found in meditation into my day but for someone  else another time of day may be better. Don’t strive to achieve some ideal just practice and enjoy life in a way that best suits you. Many people think that meditation turns one into a sort zombie but in fact it works in exactly the opposite way it opens one up to the fine detail of everyday life, there’s no need to go to a mountain top or shave your head, give up sex or even having a drink. Judgement is a barrier to feeling Peace, for just like ‘good teeth’ Peace can be missed, how often are you aware of your teeth? Peace is the same, you are in the heart of Peace right now! It is the fundamental base of your very Being! Right here right now, but it’s covered up by all the Noise of Mind, you are already ONE, you just haven’t realized it yet, but it will come to you if you desire union.  Can I relate a short personal experience,  It was during the birth of my second daughter, she was delivered and was whipped away to be cleaned and checked (our first daughter had died after just 2hrs and the nursing staff were being very careful with the second) the nurse let me go with her, we went to another room and the nurse said she had forgotten something and she left me alone with this new human being, I was enthralled and totally captivated just looking at her, laying there quiet and breathing, I realised something, that this new being had no language, no nationality, no favourite foods, no particular preference for anything really, she had no ‘stuff’ filling her head, she was just life itself. And now? she’s 33, she is Claire, she is British, she speaks English, she loves Pizza, she dislikes prunes, she loves dancing, she loves travelling, etc, etc. BUT really if we strip away all these likes and dislikes, all the programming, ideals, wants and desires, she is still exactly what she was at the moment of Birth, just life itself and we are ALL the same,  we are all, just life itself, right now beneath all the programming. There is no need to add anything, we only need really to take away all that ‘stuff’ and return to the act of breathing and experiencing this gift of BEING in this human body on this amazing planet. As one of my teachers told me, when you wash a shirt you don’t put Clean into it, you just wash the contaminates /dirt out and the shirt returns to being clean. So set your goal to just practice meditation every day and it will bear fruit in the long term. I’ll shut up now, I have gone on far too long. Take care.

#19    Anton25

Anton25

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

Real cannabis scent if you have never smoked before ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users