Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Chess: Once viewed as a dangerous game

chess

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,279 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

Although chess has been played for centuries, it wasn't until the 19th century that the game really took off in Europe and the U.S. Yet not everyone had a favorable view of this crazy new fad. Several critics decried chess as a source of intellectual laziness and anti-social behavior that could even provoke violence.

http://io9.com/chess...iety-1588675766

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,562 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

I've noticed in life that anything and everything can cause fights.  I once witnessed two stamp collectors brawling over a book at a jumble sale.

#3    Kenemet

Kenemet

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

I actually had a man throw a chess piece at me after I beat him (at a ranked tournament.)  He was really angry that a woman beat him (as opposed to "better player"... because in his world women couldn't play chess.)

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,562 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

The chess grandmasters of the 70s and 80s all hated one another, did they not?

#5    JVG

JVG

Poltergeist

• 2,422 posts

• Live and learn.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:50 AM

I can't tell you the last time a played a game of chess but I loved trying to anticipate the next couple of moves. I still have my chess set and think I should dust it off and try to teach my grandson.  He will probably beat me in no time, the kids today are so smart and up on everything..

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,279 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

My brother taught me how to play chess when we were kids. I've still got his chess set, wooden figures in a wooden box with a slide off lid to open and close. He wrote his name inside the lid, it has great sentimental value for me as my brother died 40 years ago.

The last time I played chess was when I took part in UM's chess tournament we had a few years ago. I enjoyed that :)

Posted Image

#7    JVG

JVG

Poltergeist

• 2,422 posts

• Live and learn.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 13 June 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

My brother taught me how to play chess when we were kids. I've still got his chess set, wooden figures in a wooden box with a slide off lid to open and close. He wrote his name inside the lid, it has great sentimental value for me as my brother died 40 years ago.

The last time I played chess was when I took part in UM's chess tournament we had a few years ago. I enjoyed that :)

Still Waters my chess is wood also and it is priceless to me it was a Christmas gift from my wife and I hope to pass it on to one of my 4 grand kids...

#8    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

I see the article drew comparisons between criticism of chess 150 years ago and criticism of roleplaying games 20 years ago.

But Warhammer 40K? Now that's a whole different basket of fish...! ;-)

#9    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,893 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostPeter B, on 15 June 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

I see the article drew comparisons between criticism of chess 150 years ago and criticism of roleplaying games 20 years ago.

But Warhammer 40K? Now that's a whole different basket of fish...! ;-)
Well of course. Chess and most RPGs are turnbased, but an RTS is not. An RTS game is more like fencing.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#10    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,411 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

Any game can be viewed as dangerous if you put the word Russian in front of it...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,602 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

One should not play chess.  It uses up immense amounts of time that could be better spent doing something else.

#12    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,028 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 June 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

One should not play chess.  It uses up immense amounts of time that could be better spent doing something else.

Agreed... One should not... But two's okay...

#13    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,823 posts

• No matter how hard you try, there will always be people who judge and criticize you.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 June 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

Same thing could be said for almost anything. Don't read books because it takes up time when you could be working over-time.
Don't go to the park because it takes up time when you could be working another job...it goes on and on.

Don't do anything that takes time because all that time belongs to the world of commerce and you should be working all the over-time you can get so when you retire you have lots of money even though your body is shot. What a deal, eh?

#14    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 3,006 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

"some people thought it caused antisocial behavior or intellectual laziness" From the article

Funny how some things never change. So basically what some people say about video games today is what they said about chess in the past :innocent:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,411 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 23 June 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

"some people thought it caused antisocial behavior or intellectual laziness" From the article

Funny how some things never change. So basically what some people say about video games today is what they said about chess in the past :innocent:

The older I get the more I see the circle of life... Its all just repetition, just slightly pushing the boundaries a little more with each repetition.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

Also tagged with chess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users