Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The U.S. spent $3 million on boats

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,462 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

Washington Post said:

The United States spent more than $3 million on eight patrol boats for the Afghan police, according to an internal audit released Thursday.
That sentence is surprising for a few reasons:

1. Afghanistan is landlocked.
2. Not a single boat has arrived in Afghanistan, even though the purchase was made in 2010.
3. That works out to be more than $375,000 per boat. Similar boats in the United States are typically sold for about $50,000.

According to the report from the U.S. Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), the boats were meant to be used to patrol the Amu Darya River running between Afghanistan and Uzbekistan. They were bought to move government supplies and “to deter smuggling and illegal entry into Afghanistan,” according to Gen. Harold Greene.

Read more

And I always thought that the minimum requirement for a higher ranking military was the ability to read a map.....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 13 June 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

And I always thought that the minimum requirement for a higher ranking military was the ability to read a map.....

Boats can be used on river too. I'm fairly certain there are rivers in Afghanistan. Looking (reading) a map of Afghanistan lo and behold I see rivers.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,303 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

Well Switzerland is landlocked too but they have a Merchant Navy.

Edited by spud the mackem, 13 June 2014 - 03:37 PM.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

lets try deterring illegal entry into our own country!

And I hope for $375K they got the extended warranty.

#5    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,079 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

what makes you think higher ranking military has anything to do with it?? it is 99,9% bribe that was put on military tab by politicians.

Edited by aztek, 13 June 2014 - 04:16 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#6    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,995 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

War is good for business, even the boat business.  I thought everybody knew that by now.

#7    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,493 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostBama13, on 13 June 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Boats can be used on river too. I'm fairly certain there are rivers in Afghanistan. Looking (reading) a map of Afghanistan lo and behold I see rivers.

but,  as questionmark listed....

2. Not a single boat has arrived in Afghanistan, even though the purchase was made in 2010.  

So in other words, it was just one more example of war PROFITEERING.

Edited by lightly, 15 June 2014 - 11:49 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,462 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

View Postlightly, on 15 June 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

but,  as questionmark listed....

So in other words, it was just one more example of war PROFITEERING.

And there is only one river in 'Stan that has water all year: The Kabul River...in the center of the country....

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

My father had a nice boat.  He called it his hole in the water into which he shoveled money.  The Afghans are lucky they never arrived.

#10    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

I am the only one having an *Independence Day* flash back with, paraphrased "what did you think they spent $380 on tiolet seats?"

“The cat is such a perfect symbol of beauty and superiority that it seems scarcely possible for any true aesthete and civilized cynic to do other than worship it.”
; H.P. Lovecraft

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,125 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

I think we can all agree that military spending is ripe for criticism, but to take that angle is a bit silly in my opinion.  The 8 boats were intended for river patrols, but were never sent.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#12    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,995 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostRafterman, on 18 June 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

I think we can all agree that military spending is ripe for criticism, but to take that angle is a bit silly in my opinion.  The 8 boats were intended for river patrols, but were never sent.

Yes, and the $ was paid and received, rest assured.

But for whatever reason, the boats were never delivered.  The military industrial complex was apparent in Vietnam when I was there, just kind of an accepted relation between private contractors and military personnel.  Of course it's much easier to see, in retrospect.

#13    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 18 June 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yes, and the $ was paid and received, rest assured.

But for whatever reason, the boats were never delivered.  The military industrial complex was apparent in Vietnam when I was there, just kind of an accepted relation between private contractors and military personnel.  Of course it's much easier to see, in retrospect.

The boats were not delivered because the Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan that asked for them canceled the request. Since the boats were almost finished they went ahead a completed them.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#14    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,995 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Bama.

So what DID become of the tax payer dollars then?  Or to the boats?

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,462 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 20 June 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Thanks Bama.

So what DID become of the tax payer dollars then?  Or to the boats?

The boats are in storage and unless there is an invasion of a country with larger rivers will most probably end as present to an "allied government". If all that fails you will soon be able to buy them as Armed Forces Surplus (at 1% of its original cost) because it does not seem that any forces branch needs any.

Edited by questionmark, 20 June 2014 - 07:02 PM.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users