Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Blood minerals replacing blood diamonds?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,127 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

New Scientist said:

A crackdown in the US is forcing technology firms to come clean about the source of the minerals used in their smartphones and electronics

SMARTPHONE makers would prefer not to talk about it. The tiny components that make your phone work could contain materials that are financing a number of bloody conflicts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The vast natural wealth of the country has helped fund decades of fighting between armed groups that has forced more than 2.75 million people from their homes, in addition to ongoing killings, torture and abductions.

Last week the US Securities and Exchange Commission's deadline passed for 1200 US-listed companies to report on whether any metal in their microchips comes from mines controlled by these militias. But while a few, like Intel, provided independently audited reports to the SEC, the majority filed reports saying their sources of tin, tungsten, tantalum and gold – collectively known as the 3TG metals – were "DRC conflict indeterminable".

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

REAL first-world problems...

Edit to add--

I encourage people to recycle their old devices instead of just hucking them. The materials go right back in to production and that translates to obvious benefits here

Edited by Dark_Grey, 13 June 2014 - 08:36 PM.

""If we are going to move forward with technology, we're going to have to hand the self destruct button to every person on the planet and trust them not to push it."

Aaron Frank

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,291 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 13 June 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

Edit to add--

I encourage people to recycle their old devices instead of just hucking them. The materials go right back in to production and that translates to obvious benefits here

I would, but I'm paranoid about any personal information they might be able to get even after a factory reset.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users