Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

starving

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

There are people straving to death in this world. What we are doing about this? In The USA we turn half of our corn crop into bio feul. Now ford motor company is going to make tomatoes into plastic.  The federal government throws away enough food to feed everyone. Further Brazil  grows auger cane for bio fuel.

Edited by danielost, 14 June 2014 - 09:20 AM.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,338 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Some humans keep insisting on having more and more children while some keep insisting on getting richer and richer, the two do not sit together nicely.

#3    Gromdor

Gromdor

Poltergeist

• 2,178 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

View Postdanielost, on 14 June 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

There are people straving to death in this world. What we are doing about this? In The USA we turn half of our corn crop into bio feul. Now ford motor company is going to make tomatoes into plastic.  The federal government throws away enough food to feed everyone. Further Brazil  grows auger cane for bio fuel.
We are going to encourage war and sell arms to the world.  It's what we do best.

#4    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

Not to come across as uncaring and cold but why is it the Wests job to feed the world? Especially an over populated world? Nature will find a sustainable balance with us humans, as it does with all species that grow bigger then their env. carrying capacity. :/

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,338 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 14 June 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Not to come across as uncaring and cold but why is it the Wests job to feed the world? Especially an over populated world? Nature will find a sustainable balance with us humans, as it does with all species that grow bigger then their env. carrying capacity. :/
Considering some of the riches men are on the middle east and Africa has its share of rich people.

#6    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 14 June 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Why because we are our brothers keeper.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#7    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

View Postdanielost, on 14 June 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Why because we are our brothers keeper.

In that case can you please send me your life savings. I need money for a new place and since we're all "brothers" you surely won't mind helping me out? :) cheers.

#8    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 14 June 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

In that case can you please send me your life savings. I need money for a new place and since we're all "brothers" you surely won't mind helping me out? :) cheers.

Don't think it would help I only have a hundred dollars.

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

View Postdanielost, on 14 June 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

Charity/donations to organizations who get the food to the hungry is one possible solution.   A lot of corn isn't really suitable for human consumption, and so the numbers can be deceiving.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#10    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostYamato, on 14 June 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Charity/donations to organizations who get the food to the hungry is one possible solution.   A lot of corn isn't really suitable for human consumption, and so the numbers can be deceiving.

Your correct a lot of corn doesn't help a lot.  But, we could use those fields to grow other foods.  But we are greedy bio fuels pay better than food.

I agree that we should help people help themselves if possible.

Edited by danielost, 14 June 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#11    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,167 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

Despite what was said about corn above, the truth is that edible corn has gone up since the USA started using it to produce bio-fuel, the effect this had was since corn is a main dietary staple in Mexico, especially amongst the poorest segment of the population, that the prices for those people to feed their family doubled overnight.  But no big deal as long as we can have cheaper fuels and can afford to drive more and further poluting that air the entire time.  The whole system really would appear a bit nuts when looked at from the outside.

Edited by OverSword, 14 June 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

It is nuts looking at it from the inside too

#13    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:41 AM

People are always going to starve.

There is nothing to be done about it, if you give food to a people, that just means more people live to the potential age to breed.

Short of restricting the number of offspring a person has, all that is being done by giving food to the starving is making more people, who will then starve.

I said nothing can be done.  In reality, nothing needs to be done. This is nature, things without resources die, the others live on and reproduce.

In this instance the things just happen to be humans

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#14    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,489 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:18 AM

Let them eat cake.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#15    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,167 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:33 AM

View PostScheming B, on 15 June 2014 - 02:41 AM, said:

People are always going to starve.

There is nothing to be done about it, if you give food to a people, that just means more people live to the potential age to breed.

Short of restricting the number of offspring a person has, all that is being done by giving food to the starving is making more people, who will then starve.

I said nothing can be done.  In reality, nothing needs to be done. This is nature, things without resources die, the others live on and reproduce.

In this instance the things just happen to be humans
And yet we resist nature all of the time don't we?  Ever been to the doctor?  It's likely several people that read this would have died without medication at some point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users