Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

[Merged] Households must recycle 70% of all rubbish

recycle households rubbish european commission

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,340 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

British households will be forced to recycle almost three-quarters of their rubbish, under European Commission plans for a tough new target expected to be announced within weeks.

A leaked draft EC report obtained by the Telegraph shows that Brussels is planning to propose a legally-binding target for 70 per cent of all municipal - household - waste to be recycled by 2030.

http://www.telegraph...s-Brussels.html

Posted Image

#2    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,943 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

expect your council tax to go up to cover costs. - fancy the EU doing this when families are trying to manage in these economic tough times. another 3% on our bills easy.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#3    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

This is probably the only thing that Brussels have ever said that I agree with....we can't keep throwing away at the rate we do.

However, our own government should be forcing this through for the good of our own country, and shouldn't be waiting for Brussels to say anything.

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

The main part of the 'rubbish' problem is not that people are throwing away 'rubbish' (or trash as we call it here)... But that companies make packaging that is excessive for what is bought...
IMO packaging should be bio-degradable, as minimalist as practical, and eliminated where-ever possible...  For example: does a bar of soap really need to be in a cardboard box, wrapped
in plastic?... Does it really need to be wrapped in anything at all?

Cut down on the packaging, and you cut down on the 'rubbish'...

#5    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostThe Sky Scanner, on 15 June 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

This is probably the only thing that Brussels have ever said that I agree with....we can't keep throwing away at the rate we do.

However, our own government should be forcing this through for the good of our own country, and shouldn't be waiting for Brussels to say anything.
that is why we need the EU - since most countries would choose to pollute themselves and their neighbours rather than internalize the costs of solving the problem. The improvement in environmental standards has been the single greatest achievement of the EU and we would be a lot dirtier and unhealthier is we relied on our sovereign governments to lead the way.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#6    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostTaun, on 15 June 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

The main part of the 'rubbish' problem is not that people are throwing away 'rubbish' (or trash as we call it here)... But that companies make packaging that is excessive for what is bought...
IMO packaging should be bio-degradable, as minimalist as practical, and eliminated where-ever possible...  For example: does a bar of soap really need to be in a cardboard box, wrapped
in plastic?... Does it really need to be wrapped in anything at all?

Cut down on the packaging, and you cut down on the 'rubbish'...
EU legislation seeks to force companies to take responsibility for packaging - hence it is the companies who pay for the recycling infrastructure. There are also many obligations on companies to both reduce packaging and take back end of life products at their own cost. This places considerable pressure on companies to reduce waste. Again none of this would have happened under the UK soverign government initiatives.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#7    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 15 June 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

that is why we need the EU - since most countries would choose to pollute themselves and their neighbours rather than internalize the costs of solving the problem. The improvement in environmental standards has been the single greatest achievement of the EU and we would be a lot dirtier and unhealthier is we relied on our sovereign governments to lead the way.

Br Cornelius

Don't agree. We just need a government that makes a list of problems (like this) and then legislate to have them removed from the political arena, then make it very clear that these matters need addressing, they are not negotiable, and will remain so regardless of who is in power.

We don't need to EU for that, we simply need someone with the kahunas to say we need to take responsibility for ourselves and lead by example, not follow (and even then only because we have been told too).

Edited by The Sky Scanner, 15 June 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#8    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 15 June 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

expect your council tax to go up to cover costs. - fancy the EU doing this when families are trying to manage in these economic tough times. another 3% on our bills easy.

That's the sad thing.  When I take out the rubbish I always have a thought of how wasteful it is.  The recycling system is crazy, it has been going donkeys ages but I am still unsure what you can and can't recycle. Cardboard is surely cardboard but my bin is frequently left because it is the 'Wrong type'.

By sorting out the system and making the people more aware of what is and isn't recyclable would probably save a fortune.  However greedy councils will certainly see this as another cash cow to sting us to pay more money to pay for more £100k pa nothing jobs, horrendous sickness pay figures and pensions.

This is a brief snip of REAL jobs advertised by local authority paid by council tax!

Head of Polar Regions Unit
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
England
£54,788 - £115,616 plus benefits
Taking control of the policy-making Polar Regions Unit, you will lead the UK delegation to both the annual Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings and the Antarctic Fisheries Commission Meeting.

Most pointless job of the week

Strategic Director - Services for Older People
DERBYSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
Derbyshire
£102,951 - £113,247 per annum
Your challenge will be to lead the integration and development of our services for older adults. You will forge shared objectives, implement cultural change and evolve new working practices to meet the challenges ahead.

How to burn £1/2m a year

Director of Research, AUDIT COMMISSION, 3 people needed £90K
Director of Studies, AUDIT COMMISSION, 3 people needed £90K

Assistant clerk's job of the week

Assistant Director
BRIDGEND COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL
Wales
£74k plus benefits
You'll be a strong leader with the drive and vision to turn strategy into meaningful developments and used to building partnerships with people from a variety of backgrounds.

Other tax abusers

Director of Adult Social Care and Health
LEICESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
Leicestershire
£120,000 plus benefits
As Director, you will lead the Council's strategic response to the recent White Paper, embracing the public health agenda and building on our good relationships with the NHS.

Director - Children's Services
London Borough of Bromley
South London
c.£110k
You will be building on a very solid foundation as much has already been achieved by the existing team. If you have what we are looking for, you will receive our complete support in taking forward our integration agenda.

Chief Executive
North East Derbyshire District Council
Derbyshire, £106,000
You'll need to be a strategic thinker with the integrity to win the trust of colleagues and external partners alike. You'll also have the people skills - including a sense of humour - to work as a genuine member of the team.

Chief Executive
Mole Valley District Council
Surrey
£100k plus benefits
We are seeking an inspirational leader to take us into the future and further develop partnership working.

Strategic Director
Poole Borough Council
Dorset
£90,396 plus benefits
We need someone with a passion for local government and a real commitment to our long term plans. You will have a broad and mixed portfolio and should be ready for the challenges this will bring.

The pay rates are staggering and I bet the successful applicant will almost certainly have had connections with the council.

Here is some others

Commissioner for Victims and Witnesses
Veredus
West London
£120k
You'll: - champion the interests of victims and witnesses - advise the Government on how they should be supported - drive change and modernisation through the criminal justice system

Other tax abusers

Strategic Director - Children and Young People
Nottinghamshire County Council
Nottinghamshire
Circa £125,000 pa
We need now is an ambitious and determined professional to join our strategic directorate team and bring vision, make the decisions that matter, and provide the leadership that counts.

Corporate Director - Adult & Community Services
Durham County Council
Durham
£90k - £120k
It's a big job, covering adult social care and health, culture and leisure, adult learning and community safety. You would also work closely with our new Chief Executive on the overall strategic direction of the Council.

Edited by skookum, 15 June 2014 - 03:34 PM.

Posted Image

#9    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

View Postskookum, on 15 June 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

That's the sad thing.  When I take out the rubbish I always have a thought of how wasteful it is.  The recycling system is crazy, it has been going donkeys ages but I am still unsure what you can and can't recycle. Cardboard is surely cardboard but my bin is frequently left because it is the 'Wrong type'.

By sorting out the system and making the people more aware of what is and isn't recyclable would probably save a fortune.  However greedy councils will certainly see this as another cash cow to sting us to pay more money to pay for more £100k pa nothing jobs, horrendous sickness pay figures and pensions.

This is a brief snip of REAL jobs advertised by local authority paid by council tax!

Head of Polar Regions Unit
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
England
£54,788 - £115,616 plus benefits
Taking control of the policy-making Polar Regions Unit, you will lead the UK delegation to both the annual Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings and the Antarctic Fisheries Commission Meeting.

Most pointless job of the week

Strategic Director - Services for Older People
DERBYSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
Derbyshire
£102,951 - £113,247 per annum
Your challenge will be to lead the integration and development of our services for older adults. You will forge shared objectives, implement cultural change and evolve new working practices to meet the challenges ahead.

How to burn £1/2m a year

Director of Research, AUDIT COMMISSION, 3 people needed £90K
Director of Studies, AUDIT COMMISSION, 3 people needed £90K

Assistant clerk's job of the week

Assistant Director
BRIDGEND COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL
Wales
£74k plus benefits
You'll be a strong leader with the drive and vision to turn strategy into meaningful developments and used to building partnerships with people from a variety of backgrounds.

Other tax abusers

Director of Adult Social Care and Health
LEICESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
Leicestershire
£120,000 plus benefits
As Director, you will lead the Council's strategic response to the recent White Paper, embracing the public health agenda and building on our good relationships with the NHS.

Director - Children's Services
London Borough of Bromley
South London
c.£110k
You will be building on a very solid foundation as much has already been achieved by the existing team. If you have what we are looking for, you will receive our complete support in taking forward our integration agenda.

Chief Executive
North East Derbyshire District Council
Derbyshire, £106,000
You'll need to be a strategic thinker with the integrity to win the trust of colleagues and external partners alike. You'll also have the people skills - including a sense of humour - to work as a genuine member of the team.

Chief Executive
Mole Valley District Council
Surrey
£100k plus benefits
We are seeking an inspirational leader to take us into the future and further develop partnership working.

Strategic Director
Poole Borough Council
Dorset
£90,396 plus benefits
We need someone with a passion for local government and a real commitment to our long term plans. You will have a broad and mixed portfolio and should be ready for the challenges this will bring.

The pay rates are staggering and I bet the successful applicant will almost certainly have had connections with the council.

I think Head Of Polar Regions Unit is a worthwhile job....the rest seem a waste of money though.

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,707 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 15 June 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

Br Cornelius

Countries don't choose to pollute themselves, they choose to send their pollution elsewhere...see African "Recycling areas".

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#11    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Good cause, but I bet the weight will be put on the shoulders of those who dont really deserve it. It could make people more conscious of choosing between veggies, eggs and what meat & fish counter sells instead of taking plastic package meat from the shelves, the cheaper option. Let alone processed foods some eat because that's what they can afford.

If this goes through, they should offer a little initial relief for the poorest households or enforce this law very strictly (as if they would). People can get very crafty at circumventing laws if you give them enough room. Bank robbers for example circumvent the illegality of robbing a bank by not getting caught. It's legal if nobody catches you, because there's no repercussion then. People will say different to sound righteous, but when it's their own donkey at stake they act like that.

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#12    Border Collie

Border Collie

Just testing

• 1,380 posts

• Schrodinger's dog

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

View Postskookum, on 15 June 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

By sorting out the system and making the people more aware of what is and isn't recyclable would probably save a fortune.  However greedy councils will certainly see this as another cash cow to sting us to pay more money to pay for more 100k pa nothing jobs, horrendous sickness pay figures and pensions.

Is it up to your council to make you aware of what you can and can't recycle?  This information is very widely available to those who look.

Likewise the Government had to be forced by Brussels to take recycling seriously. Previously, most waste was just stuffed into landfill.

#13    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostThe Sky Scanner, on 15 June 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Don't agree. We just need a government that makes a list of problems (like this) and then legislate to have them removed from the political arena, then make it very clear that these matters need addressing, they are not negotiable, and will remain so regardless of who is in power.

We don't need to EU for that, we simply need someone with the kahunas to say we need to take responsibility for ourselves and lead by example, not follow (and even then only because we have been told too).
Dream on - meanwhile the EU has done just about exactly what you want.
Don't let political prejudice get in the way of acknowledging the benefit we have gained in a cleaner environment as a consequence of been members of the EU.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#14    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 15 June 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

Countries don't choose to pollute themselves, they choose to send their pollution elsewhere...see African "Recycling areas".
Many countries choose economic benefit for their industrial base over tackling pollution. Many countries in the EU are only just installing secondary and tertiary sewage treatment rather than pumping raw sewage into rivers and the sea, you can thank EU legislation for forcing them to do so. l  That means than many countries seek economic advantage through allowing their members and their local government to freely pollute. Thats just a fact of how many governments have handled pollution.

The EU will now fine you if you choose to export your rubbish to a third party where it is inadequately treated.

None of these policies were initiated by sovereign states in the EU before the EU compelled them to do it.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 15 June 2014 - 06:21 PM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#15    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 15 June 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

Dream on - meanwhile the EU has done just about exactly what you want.
Don't let political prejudice get in the way of acknowledging the benefit we have gained in a cleaner environment as a consequence of been members of the EU.

Br Cornelius

Wow...out of a few decades in the making it has produced one thing I want...but hey, don't let political prejudice get in the way eh! I'd think you were just posting for a laugh if I didn't have the misforttune of knowing better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users