Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

GM 'Super-Banana' Could Prevent Blindness

vitamin a deficiencies super banana genetically modified bananas blindless

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,027 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Genetically modified bananas from Australia could stop thousands of Ugandan children from going blind and dying from Vitamin A deficiencies.

The genetically modified 'super-banana', which has increased levels of vitamin A, has been engineered by researchers at the Queensland University of Technology.

https://uk.news.yaho...35.html#cdd01xB

Posted Image

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

That's fantastic news.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#3    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Cool beans man

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,788 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

The fruit, grown near Innisfail, about 90km south of Cairns, is now on its way to Iowa State University in the US for further trials at a cost of $10 million, funded by the Gates Foundation.

https://uk.news.yaho...35.html#5ryPGmi

HOW MUCH? They could built decent housing with running water and sanitation with that.
Not forgetting a few condoms.

Edited by freetoroam, 17 June 2014 - 02:16 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,387 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

Why not just hand out multivitamins tablets?

#6    HappyMonkey

HappyMonkey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 17 June 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

The fruit, grown near Innisfail, about 90km south of Cairns, is now on its way to Iowa State University in the US for further trials at a cost of $10 million, funded by the Gates Foundation.

https://uk.news.yaho...35.html#5ryPGmi

HOW MUCH? They could built decent housing with running water and sanitation with that.
Not forgetting a few condoms.
Or you know, providing a easy growing crop that answers nutritional needs. There's that too.
Not much point in having housing if you can't survive to use said housing.

View PostEldorado, on 17 June 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

Multivitamins can't be planted and grown and reproduce, and can't be manufactured using the technology available to these people.
Making a replenishable resource that can be handled by the people that need has better benefits.
I also recall reading that supplements aren't the best way to get your needed vitamins and minerals.

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,788 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostHappyMonkey, on 17 June 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Or you know, providing a easy growing crop that answers nutritional needs. There's that too.
Multivitamins can't be planted and grown and reproduce, and can't be manufactured using the technology available to these people.
Making a replenishable resource that can be handled by the people that need has better benefits.
I also recall reading that supplements aren't the best way to get your needed vitamins and minerals.

They built Las Vegas in the desert, surely after all the money which has been given to Africa they could have found a way to get water to some of those areas. Oil pipes get built, why not water?

When you have this kind of researching,then why can you not have it in areas where there are humans living and in need of help?

It is possible to grow plants on Martian soil, researchers in the Netherlands have found.
In an experiment conducted over a period of 50 days, at least 14 plant species, including food plants, were grown on artificial Martian and lunar soil provided by Nasa, according to Xinhua.
About 4,200 seeds were planted in 840 pots stuffed with an imitation of Mars and Moon regolith, unconsolidated surface sand of the respective planets

http://www.ibtimes.c...rs-find-1432658

Edited by freetoroam, 17 June 2014 - 06:52 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    HappyMonkey

HappyMonkey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Cool. Next time tell Bill Gates to hire Nasa.
To pipe in water you have to have to pump it from somewhere else.
Martian soil and the Moon's soil are mineral rich. They don't have like here on earth the process which make use of those minerals.  It's much easier to adapt a already existing crop than trying to introduce a new one that will likely require more maintenance in its new environment.  As to your point about the money sent to Africa. Africa is a continent, filled with countries. Some of which we help, some of which we don't, and some of which don't need or don't want our help.

#9    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,387 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

View PostHappyMonkey, on 17 June 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Why should I trust a monkey's opinion when the topic is bananas?

I demand a neutral expert to set me straight!

Edited by Eldorado, 17 June 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#10    HappyMonkey

HappyMonkey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Let me get Doc Rat for you.

#11    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

what, a GM thread, and no-one's turned up shouting 'stop playing god' or 'GM food is the work of satan'??
maybe there's hope for humanity yet....
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#12    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,629 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

This is all well and good but there is a serious fungal disease problem that is destroying banana crops in several areas of the world, at least some of the more commonly grown table bananas. It would be a shame to get a culture dependent on a crop for nutrition only to have it disappear. Hopefully they can breed some resistance into these crops as well.

#13    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,629 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

View Postshrooma, on 18 June 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

what, a GM thread, and no-one's turned up shouting 'stop playing god' or 'GM food is the work of satan'??

I'm not a geneticist, but I think the concern voiced by people is that when you make new strains of plants or animals using gene splicing, as opposed to hybridization (breeding) you MAY end up with novel proteins and other substances our bodies were not designed to break down. And it's not just putting genes or bits of genes from one plant into another, we have put the genes of bacteria and animals into plants, something impossible with normal breeding techniques. Any perceived health risks may be a bunch of hooey or it may not; we don't yet know what multiple decades of consumption of these products may do; they are relatively new parts of the human diet. It could be completely harmless, it could lead to cancer, it could merely lead to indigestion as the body copes with something new or in the case of these bananas it can provide an essential nutrient. I think only time will tell. I do know that at some cancer centers they recommend as much organic, non-GMO food for their patient's diets as possible. I assume they have good reasons for this.

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,795 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

That is what I am waiting for also. :tu:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,939 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostEldorado, on 17 June 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

Because it would be seen as a conspiracy to sterilise Africa through secret ingredient sterilisation tablets rather than improving health...

Its late, and we have to digest the sterilisation conspiracy first.

Anyway, I though Banana's had been sentenced to death due to reliance on a certain strain/breed and they were on there way out. Its a roller-coaster ride being a banana...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users