Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Okla. Tea Party GOP Candidate on Killing Gays

oklahoma politics religion gays intolerance tea party

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostAdmiral Rhubarb, on 18 June 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Yes, and the world (the part of it that likes to call itself Civilised, anyway) has learned since then. This gentleman appears not to have.

Ah, then what about China? I believe it wasn't more than 15-20 years ago that they decriminalized homosexuality. I believe that they considered homosexuality to be a form of mental illness until around 2001-2002. Are the Chinese not civilized?

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#32    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Interterrestrial Being

• 5,703 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Is this flying here? Are Oklahomans rallying in support of this guy since this came to light? If not, then much to the chagrin of our enlightened foreign friends, this statement isn't flying here either.

Two points here.

One is that, all told, people tht espouse these kinds of hatreds *usually* lose elections, it is sometimes a "typical" loss, not an overwhelming mandate or obvious rejection. It could be said his fiscal policy might just as well have been the deciding factor instead of this ugliness. This is more "Oh and he also said that stuff about gays, that's not good either, whatever it was". Like it's used more to just finalize a decision, rather than considering wanting to kill people different than himself to be the more important issue.

Two is the same you see in the US at large. This kind of thing is NOT automatically grounds for expulsion from not just your party, but from holding any public office. There are enough insane, evil people that this is, at worst, just a little more unpopular than say, Obamacare. The fact is, cretins wouldn't be encouraged to make these kinds of hateful statements and feel like they were supported and empathized with, if there wasn't enough of an audience to be somewhat welcoming or even merely indifferent about it. People here make all kinds of horrible statements and rulings, one after the other, that asbolutely should be grounds for removal from current office or being barred from running for one, but Oklahoma is so backward and xenophobic that some people just nod and say "I see what he's saying, finally someone is speaking for me!"

Edited by Paranormalcy, 18 June 2014 - 08:03 PM.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#33    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,918 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

View PostBama13, on 18 June 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Ah, then what about China? I believe it wasn't more than 15-20 years ago that they decriminalized homosexuality. I believe that they considered homosexuality to be a form of mental illness until around 2001-2002. Are the Chinese not civilized?
Like I said, I was talking about the countries that call themselves the "West". And anyway, I wasn't talking about America as a whole or even individual states, just this buffoon.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#34    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,615 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

hey, we have a subject here that wishes all gun owners would just kill themselves, i do not see it any different than what the topic is about.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#35    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,216 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I'd like to add that in neither his wiki nor his website could I find a single mention of the tea party or his connection to it. All mentions of the connection seem to be one web source parroting the next. The earliest mention I can find is an article from slate.com on June 11 and seems to be the source from which all others have copied. From what I gather, it is Slate who made the ill-contrived connection without a source to back it up themselves. I can't find a single other quote from Scott Esk or any other valid connection that says he represents the tea party. He claims to be a republican and a libertarian and that's it.

Posted Image

#36    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Interterrestrial Being

• 5,703 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

hey, we have a subject here that wishes all gun owners would just kill themselves, i do not see it any different than what the topic is about.

Well... you could approach it from the fact that "gun owners" are being combined into one group, represented by the irresonsible attention whores that go into restaurants and stores carrying assault weapons, and are essentially walking tragedies waiting to happen. It's an unfair generalization of course, but there ARE people that ARE like this, and are the most publicly visible because of their dramatic presence. And gun owners are still promoting the ability to react with literally lethal force - their whole thing is the ability to kill or use at least violent force if necessary (I'm not criticizing that specifically here, just pointing out the GULF of difference).

Contrast this with gays who ... well, let's see. They like kissing other people of their sex. And... um... let's see....

Again, I'm not supporting anyone publicly saying ANYONE should be killed or should kill themselves, but am I personally more or even equally concerned with the anti-gunman sentiment, compared to anti-gay sentiment? Honestly no, not for myself, because the two are NOT the same. Homosexuals are not by the nature of their source of people's hate of them, inherently DEADLY. So yah, there's pretty much no close comparison there. That said, legislation or social wise, I do agree that sentiment that either should die in any way, is wrong, and the same humane acceptance should be in place for both and any other people that aren't actively truly promoting truly endangering or life-threatening or rights-limiting activities (like kidnapping and keeping people in your basement, etc).

Edit: It may be that Esk isn't tea party, I don't know either way, I merely copied the headline from the particular site I linked to in the story, so if he is not, then that should be noted and I'd change it if I were able, as I don't think things or people should be misrepresented, no matter how much you disagree with them. I do think it's funny that his "now, this might go against libertarian principles" comment seemed to be tossed out as a peacemaking measure, like he didn't realize it sounds like, "Now, I know some Libertarians might be against campaigning for the brutal death of innocent people...", as if somehow this liberal view by the Libertarians felt like a restriction to him. I kinda hope all parties and sentient beings have this "platform".

Edited by Paranormalcy, 18 June 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#37    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,615 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

View PostF3SS, on 18 June 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

I'd like to add that in neither his wiki nor his website could I find a single mention of the tea party or his connection to it. All mentions of the connection seem to be one web source parroting the next. The earliest mention I can find is an article from slate.com on June 11 and seems to be the source from which all others have copied. From what I gather, it is Slate who made the ill-contrived connection without a source to back it up themselves. I can't find a single other quote from Scott Esk or any other valid connection that says he represents the tea party. He claims to be a republican and a libertarian and that's it.

it does not have to be truth for people to beileve in it, and more often than not they believe lies, and spread them.

Edited by aztek, 18 June 2014 - 08:15 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#38    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,216 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 18 June 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

Two points here.

One is that, all told, people tht espouse these kinds of hatreds *usually* lose elections, it is sometimes a "typical" loss, not an overwhelming mandate or obvious rejection. It could be said his fiscal policy might just as well have been the deciding factor instead of this ugliness. This is more "Oh and he also said that stuff about gays, that's not good either, whatever it was". Like it's used more to just finalize a decision, rather than considering wanting to kill people different than himself to be the more important issue.

Two is the same you see in the US at large. This kind of thing is NOT automatically grounds for expulsion from not just your party, but from holding any public office. There are enough insane, evil people that this is, at worst, just a little more unpopular than say, Obamacare. The fact is, cretins wouldn't be encouraged to make these kinds of hateful statements and feel like they were supported and empathized with, if there wasn't enough of an audience to be somewhat welcoming or even merely indifferent about it. People here make all kinds of horrible statements and rulings, one after the other, that asbolutely should be grounds for removal from current office or being barred from running for one, but Oklahoma is so backward and xenophobic that some people just nod and say "I see what he's saying, finally someone is speaking for me!"

A few points here to add...
First, nothing to really worry about so long as they keep losing.
Second, if they do get in and turn a bill in that calls for the death of gays you can believe that it'll never make out of his office for longer than it takes the next guy to read it not to mention that's just blackmail gold for any opponent or politician trying to sway his vote on a matter.
Third, I'm sure he didn't gain his launching support by exclaiming this stoning policy as one of his main adjectives. Maybe he's anciently old-school but he's also probably full of fake smiles and rehearsed lines. Paying attention to the op article and all those that copy and pasted it in the online media world will show that this statement came from a year+ old Facebook post so I'm sure that he doesn't proclaim it often. On top of that, he did confirm that he holds that position on a radio interview but had no plans to introduce it into law. Why would he? See point number two above. One thing you'll have to give him is that he's honest. Any real politician would've dodged and spun around that question.
I'm not condoning this guy in any way. Just pointing out that all these manufactured worries about laws being introduced that stone gays and deny women and minorities the right to vote are simply absurd. They'll never pass even in the off chance that some bold idiot is lucky enough to win office and does introduce such a bill.

Posted Image

#39    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,216 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 18 June 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

Edit: It may be that Esk isn't tea party, I don't know either way, I merely copied the headline

I know and there's nothing you can do about it. The onus is on the large media publications who unwarrantedly made the statement and all the other lazy ass 'editors' at large firms like huffington blissfully copied and passed on as gospel. The smear there isn't really against Esk I hope you know. The intent of these organizations is to blast the TEA Party, not the candidate.

Posted Image

#40    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,615 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 18 June 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

Well... you could approach it from the fact that "gun owners" are being combined into one group, represented by the irresonsible attention whores that go into restaurants and stores carrying assault weapons, and are essentially walking tragedies waiting to happen. It's an unfair generalization of course, but there ARE people that ARE like this, and are the most publicly visible because of their dramatic presence. And gun owners are still promoting the ability to react with literally lethal force - their whole thing is the ability to kill or use at least violent force if necessary (I'm not criticizing that specifically here, just pointing out the GULF of difference).

Contrast this with gays who ... well, let's see. They like kissing other people of their sex. And... um... let's see....

Again, I'm not supporting anyone publicly saying ANYONE should be killed or should kill themselves, but am I personally more or even equally concerned with the anti-gunman sentiment, compared to anti-gay sentiment? Honestly no, not for myself, because the two are NOT the same. Homosexuals are not by the nature of their source of people's hate of them, inherently DEADLY. So yah, there's pretty much no close comparison there. That said, legislation or social wise, I do agree that sentiment that either should die in any way, is wrong, and the same humane acceptance should be in place for both and any other people that aren't actively truly promoting truly endangering or life-threatening or rights-limiting activities (like kidnapping and keeping people in your basement, etc).

Edit: It may be that Esk isn't tea party, I don't know either way, I merely copied the headline from the particular site I linked to in the story, so if he is not, then that should be noted and I'd change it if I were able, as I don't think things or people should be misrepresented, no matter how much you disagree with them. I do think it's funny that his "now, this might go against libertarian principles" comment seemed to be tossed out as a peacemaking measure, like he didn't realize it sounds like, "Now, I know some Libertarians might be against campaigning for the brutal death of innocent people...", as if somehow this liberal view by the Libertarians felt like a restriction to him. I kinda hope all parties and sentient beings have this "platform".
\
so according to you it is not that bad to want all gun owners to kill themselves, since their guns kill, is that what you meant??

Edited by aztek, 18 June 2014 - 09:00 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#41    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,653 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

He'll be one of the twits who insist on spelling "Sunday" "Sonday" because of Jesus won't he?
The fact that he's gotten to the "nomination" phase is what appalls me. Surely someone must have seen that he's bonkers and said "lets not go with this bloke". It speaks of a nasty undercurrent in whoever is putting this people forward for nomination that someone who suggests mass slaughter is a good idea.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#42    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,566 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 18 June 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

He'll be one of the twits who insist on spelling "Sunday" "Sonday" because of Jesus won't he?
The fact that he's gotten to the "nomination" phase is what appalls me. Surely someone must have seen that he's bonkers and said "lets not go with this bloke". It speaks of a nasty undercurrent in whoever is putting this people forward for nomination that someone who suggests mass slaughter is a good idea.

Anyone can run on a write in campaign. I've seen no evidence that his name will appear on any ballot or that he's previously ever held a government office.

Edited by Michelle, 18 June 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#43    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Interterrestrial Being

• 5,703 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

so according to you it is not that bad to want all gun owners to kill themselves, since their guns kill, is that what you meant??

I'll address this once, and say that I firmly believe that in my last post, I made my meaning, reasoning and overall assessment of the whole situation and comparison crystal clear, and I couldn't post anything now that would be anything other than a verbatim reproduction of that post. I'm not going to justify off-topic obfuscation and water-muddying trolling to overshadow the very real problem this thread brings to attention - a problem ANYONE should be concerned about.

This topic is about THIS individual, not the tea party or libertarians or republicans or even any political party (necessarily) or gun owners or anything else - this is about a reprehensible person and his hateful comments that inexplicably can, as noted, become an actual candidate and is ignorant or proud enough to make the statements he did. I believe to a large degree in States' rights, wrapped within an overall Federal oversight to make sure there is a basic level of decency, human rights and fairness and equality, but like some historical issues like segregation, there needs to be an established universal guarantee of a minimal level of guaranteeing safety and reason.

Edited by Paranormalcy, 18 June 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#44    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,216 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Ah no... Due to a technical oversight, as they often say in politics, the TEA Party is fair game in this thread. The oversight being the threads headline. Anyhow...

There is nothing inexplicable about this guy being a candidate. I don't even know what office he's running for. They don't seem to mention that in the op. To run for the US House, Senate or Presidency all one needs is $5000 and the ability to fill and file some forms. http://www.fec.gov/a...candidate.shtml The debate here is simple. Don't vote for him. He'll gain no influence and will only be supported by the like minded few.

Edited by F3SS, 18 June 2014 - 09:42 PM.

Posted Image

#45    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,253 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:36 AM

View PostMichelle, on 18 June 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

You and I must have a very different definition of shoving something down someone's throat. How does a window washer, with a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected, making an idiotic statement constitute shoving anything down anyone's throat? I'm thrilled he made his opinion known. He put the final nail in his own political coffin.

And the Tea Party candidate that knocked off Eric Cantor was supposed to lose by 30 points was he not?

When anyone aspiring to political office starts talking about the Biblical guidance, we should all be scared.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

Also tagged with oklahoma, politics, religion, gays, intolerance, tea party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users