Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What Would Jesus Do About Gun Control

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1    epicdarkness

epicdarkness

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

I am curious to hear what Jesus would do about gun control, welfare,racism and illegal immigration. I myself am an atheist so I will not be commenting, but wish to hear the responses of believers out there.

#2    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Why don't you ask him yourself?

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 18 June 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#3    Kenemet

Kenemet

Psychic Spy

• 1,927 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Nothing, as far as I can tell.

#4    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,090 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

"Verily I say unto thee, lest a man carry the rifle of assaults he shall not enter unto the kingdom of heaven"

Seems pretty clear to me :gun:

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#5    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

What would Jesus do about gun control? What would Jesus do about GM's recalls for faulty vehicle ignition switches? What would Jesus do about genetically-modified foodstuffs? What would Jesus do about the preservation of a portion of the Pacific Ocean for environmental conservation? What would Jesus do about the ascendancy of the ISIL (ISIA)? I can only suggest that Jesus would be on the side of justice, and we all know what a rare item that thing is. . . You'll find arguments wherever you look for them, and especially where you don't.

Edited by DeWitz, 18 June 2014 - 03:32 PM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#6    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,090 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostDeWitz, on 18 June 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

What would Jesus do about gun control? What would Jesus do about GM's recalls for faulty vehicle ignition switches? What would Jesus do about genetically-modified foodstuffs? What would Jesus do about the preservation of a portion of the Pacific Ocean for environmental conservation? What would Jesus do about the ascendancy of the ISIL (ISIA)? I can only suggest that Jesus would be on the side of justice, and we all know what a rare item that thing is. . . You'll find arguments wherever you look for them, and especially where you don't.

I have to reply to this because DeWitz has exactly one more post than I do.

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#7    Gary Meadows

Gary Meadows

Like your uncle, only better

• 1,434 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Oh, he says that's commie nonsense.

Then he flew to the moon and straightened the 'Merican flag.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,764 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

As close as I can tell the only place he came close was in admonishing Peter that those who live by the sword would die by it.  Nothing inherently evil about having a tool to protect one's life and family.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#9    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 18 June 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

I have to reply to this because DeWitz has exactly one more post than I do.
What would Jesus say?

#10    Perceptivum

Perceptivum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

• Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Regarding gun control: Jesus states in Matthew 26:52 “For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.”  This passage comes after the ear of a servant of the high priest was cut off by one of those who were with Jesus in Gethsemane.  It refers to an egregious act done by the sword not the ownership of the sword per se.  There is no mention of Jesus prohibiting sword ownership, so we can safely assume ownership is fine.  However, it is the control that is in question isn’t it?  Jesus, by the passage in Matthew 26, clearly believes that one should control the use so that not to use it to hurt others.  Furthermore, in Matthew 12:31 Jesus states that there is no commandment greater than: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”  If we assume a gun owner holds to this command, then control of the gun is likely therefore ownership shouldn’t be a problem.

Regarding welfare: in Acts 6 we find that a complaint by the Greek-speaking Jews arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution (i.e., welfare).  The early Christians did not ignore the complaint, rather the apostles appointed seven men to oversee this duty.

Regarding racism: Jesus states in Matthew 12:31 “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Regarding illegal immigration: see Matthew 12:31

There's probably more citation in the Bible that would confirm what I wrote, however this is the best I could do off the top of my head.

"Even if you are in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth". - Ghandi

"A conspiracy is a truth awaiting revelation." - Me

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

View Postepicdarkness, on 18 June 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

I am curious to hear what Jesus would do about gun control, welfare,racism and illegal immigration. I myself am an atheist so I will not be commenting, but wish to hear the responses of believers out there.

Your question hits right at the root as to why I am so opposed to religion.  Where else do so many feel the need to consult the opinion of a man who lived (maybe) 2,000+ years ago to solve modern day problems?

It would be like receiving a cancer diagnosis from your physician and then him/her turning around and consulting the Ebers Papyrus to determine a course of treatment.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#12    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,566 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

I think he'd be either fascinated or scared by the existence of guns.

#13    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,517 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

He'd say it's not a matter who control the guns, but it's a matter how do you use them

Edited by FlyingAngel, 18 June 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#14    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,332 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Probably die, if he tried to take a Texan's gun away from him.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#15    JimmyK

JimmyK

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

• "....but now I see."

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

View Postepicdarkness, on 18 June 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

Greetings,

With the exception of racism, each of the questions seem to be in reference to what a government does. To that end, He would do nothing that I can see. As to racism God has spoken and man was created in His image. Racism is an accusation against the creator and not very wise.

Hope this helps.

Regards

JimmyK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users