Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

4th grader suing another for bullying

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: 4th grader suing another for bullying (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this lawsuit frivolous or needed?

1. Frivolous, let the kids handle it. (15 votes [39.47%])

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

2. A necessity as bullying is getting out of hand. (18 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. Who cares. (5 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,906 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

The parents of a 4th grader have filed a lawsuit on their son's behalf against anther 4th grader, his parents and the school district for "continuous" bullying.  Overkill or about time?
http://www.chicagotr...0,3148374.story

http://www.gopusa.co...g/?subscriber=1

Edited by Merc14, 20 June 2014 - 07:12 PM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#2    Thelaw1

Thelaw1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Honestly, there are only bad options when it comes to bullying. I would say it is alot better than shooting a school up. So yeah, it's not a good choice but faaaaaaaaaaar better than the alternative. If you can have the courts vindicate your rights instead of believing the entire world is out to get you, then maybe that will make kids go that route as opposed to other, horrific options.

Furthermore, I think it gives parents and school officials extra, monetary incentives for disciplining bullies. If you hit them in their wallet, they will be more hard pressed to stop the bullying.

As for anyone who will argue -wow, a lawsuit or shooting up a school, I fully understand that a small small small number of children who get bullied end up going on a rampage but even a small fraction is too large a number.

Edited by Thelaw1, 20 June 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#3    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

I honestly don't think that there can be any good response to bullying, I was bullied a great deal growing up and rather than retaliate or seek revenge I allowed it to help me build a tolerance to ignorance. Kids are ruthless, especially nowadays and I feel for anyone being subjected to such treatment. However, with the proper guidance and wisdom the children can overcome these trying times. Think I mentioned this movie in another thread, but the movie "Disconnect" comes to mind, really good one.

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

I remember when I was bullied in school... I eventually did what every other kid did that was bullied... I punched him - hard... We fought,
and it was pretty much a draw... but he became a friend and I was never bullied again...

sigh.... now lawyers are getting involved...  So this kids family sues the other kids family - and lets say they win... This kid will have to watch his back from then on,
because the "bully" will go out of his/her way to "get even" for getting him in trouble...  And if he loses the lawsuit, he'll be the laughing stock of that school
for years...

#5    Mr. ET

Mr. ET

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

I was bullied until I punched the guy in his jaw and it was over just like that. Bullies act tough usually they are not, come to think of it I don't think I was ever bullied again. You gotta have a backbone, I hate to resort to violence but I wont let people walk all over me either.

#6    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

If the reporting in the story is correct, I don't see how the mother has any other option. It was not an isolated event but the result of multiple attacks and apparently the school did little if anything to address the problem.

On a personal note, kids that are bullied just have to fight back a little. Bullies are bullies because the kids being bullied let them be. Any type of response will usually be enough to let the bully know your done and they'll move on to the next kid who won't stand up for themselves. And sadly, with remorse, I speak from experience.

#7    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Average male 4000% less effective in fights than he imagines:

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#8    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

I'm of two minds, and it's a very fine line...however.

It's hard to see someone getting bullyed, and my first reaction is to stand up for them and protect them.

But I can also see the point where sometimes you have to stand alone and face your bullies.   If we always step in, will people really learn to deal with tough situations?

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

View Postsupervike, on 20 June 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

I'm of two minds, and it's a very fine line...however.

It's hard to see someone getting bullyed, and my first reaction is to stand up for them and protect them.

But I can also see the point where sometimes you have to stand alone and face your bullies.   If we always step in, will people really learn to deal with tough situations?

The last sentence is the bottom line, kids have to learn to solve conflicts.

If we step in every time kids have a conflict they will never learn to solve it by themselves. So, if it does not look like anybody is about to get hurt we should stay out of it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#10    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

4th grade is like saying 4th year, so that means both kids are 9 years old??

In uk the age system works differently, I think

Posted Image

#11    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,866 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

What I think is there are so many levels to bullying and so many types of bullied kids and various levels of support for the bullied kids, that you can't stamp one solution on it: "Punch them in the nose!"  "Get over it!"  "Sue!"  "Move!" "Whah! Whah! Quit whining."

It really is a case by case basis. And if a parent gets involved and the situation is serious and warrants intervention then..

But again "serious" and a subsequent "solution" would vary from situation to situation, child to child.

My H punched his bully too. And viola! No more bullying and no one "told" on him. But this was years ago.

Are there zero tolerance policies for violence in some schools? So the bullied kid ends up with it on his school record (or if 18 worse) and expelled.

Somehow I don't think me, female, punching out my female bullies would have resulted in the same.

So my two-cents, it needs to be addressed, but there is no one size fits all bullying scenario or solution.

Certain kids are notoriously easy prey. Are they capable of handling it?

"Handling it yourself" or "keeping it to yourself and being tough" DOES NOT mean you ever get over it or it doesn't seriously effect your school performance and self worth and have long lasting effects.

The real problem is that parents have to resort to suing and some kids have to resort to violence (punching etc not just  mass school stabbings or shootings)  to get it to stop.

Yeah it's the way of the world, but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem. The phrases bully country and bully leader and bully boss get used too. Should we always just "Get over it" too?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 20 June 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#12    Mr. ET

Mr. ET

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 20 June 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Are there zero tolerance policies for violence in some schools? So the bullied kid ends up with it on his school record (or if 18 worse) and expelled

I had to do community service and pay for a dentist bill for a tooth that I broke. Not sure if its on a police record or not.

#13    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

I want to know what the school was doing while this bullying was going on.
Because I know full well here in Oz, any report of bullying is investigated by the teacher at the very least to get to the truth of the situation.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#14    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,906 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

Quitecontrary is correct, your kid hits the bully and guess who gets labeled violent.  If schools have a zero tolerance rule then they have to ensure a 100% no bully campus or suffer the consequences.  Is that possible?  No.  This is why zero tolerance is the stuff of dreams and was destined to lead to this ridiculous mess.  Hopefully the suit results in a huge fine and the district cancels zero tolerance because it isn't possible to achieve.

Edited by Merc14, 21 June 2014 - 01:11 AM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#15    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,577 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:49 AM

View PostTaun, on 20 June 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

I remember when I was bullied in school... I eventually did what every other kid did that was bullied... I punched him - hard... We fought,
and it was pretty much a draw... but he became a friend and I was never bullied again...

I've had almost the same situation occur, minus the becoming friends part...
Its not the same for kids today. The internet alone makes bullying a 24 hour activity. And kids can be vicious.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users