Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Can you hear this?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,446 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

Just a question really.. and some discussion if you like..
Can you hear this image?

Posted Image

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,620 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:03 AM

Nope, I can hear the word "clap" in my mind ..... sort of, not in an auditory way.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

In my mind i'm thinking off, when viewing this soundless image

"WE WILL, WE WILL, ROCK YOU"

Posted Image

#4    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:23 AM

Nope can't hear it. Interesting test

#5    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,474 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

Queen

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#6    Whisperer

Whisperer

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:53 AM

Nah...deaf as a door nail but yeah, Queen...

I be Ra...The river of life, the ebb and flow of summer tides...
Make not an image of me, nor offer unto me the limitations of form...
For I be Soul....and I will not be limited...

#7    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,364 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

I can't "hear" it, but yeah, I can remember the Queen song very clearly.

Oddly enough, the mental image I get is the opening from the movie Knight's Tale.

#8    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,166 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

Greetings, Professor

Yes.

Posted Image

#9    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,503 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

I don't hear it but I feel it in my ears where the noise should be.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#10    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,913 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

I don't hear it if I don't want to, but I can if I do want to. It's interesting that we can 'hear' sounds in our heads, like clapping or other sounds when we want to. Then again, we can 'see' images internally as well. Where are these sounds and images located when we experience them? Our consciousness is such an etherial thing.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

Nope

I was never able to hear the sound of one hand clapping either.

Edited by Frank Merton, 22 June 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#12    Meridian O

Meridian O

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 22 June 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

I don't hear it but I feel it in my ears where the noise should be.

I couldn’t think of the right words to explain it but… What SpiritWriter stated is close enough.

It’s almost as if the eye movement (from observing different shades and patterns) is having a residual effect on the ears.

#13    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,446 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

Interesting responses, thanks guys..

I guess one can consider this hearing with your eyes.. or perhaps the minds ear as opposed to the minds eye..

I consider the image is a visualization tool, that one can learn from I suppose.. The image evokes sounds to mind, and the sounds invoke song, which brings deeper meaning or individual memories and meanings.. Visual cue's triggering Auditory responses, or something of that nature.. From there on in, your consciousness has all it needs to build a picture, like aquatus1 did with the opening scenes of a Knights tale, or most others did by recalling Queen "we will rock you"

@ Spirit Writer, Meridian O.. I'm no expert, but don't you think that having a physical feeling in the ears where the sound should be suggests that maybe you order your major senses differently? Most people go Visual, Sound, then the rest... Your two however may order by Visual, Tactile, then the rest?

@ Frank... Have you heard of Queen in your country? "Buddy your a boy, make a big noise, playin in the street gonna be a big man some day!" I guess if the sound has never been heard before then the trigger doesn't exist..

@ ibstaK... Minds Ear, :tu:  "in a non auditory way"

@ Everyone else..
Rock on..

Edited by Professor T, 22 June 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#14    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,446 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 22 June 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

I don't hear it if I don't want to, but I can if I do want to. It's interesting that we can 'hear' sounds in our heads, like clapping or other sounds when we want to. Then again, we can 'see' images internally as well. Where are these sounds and images located when we experience them? Our consciousness is such an etherial thing.

Funny that.. Once I saw the image and got it I couldn't turn it off.
I dunno if I can answer this, but the minds eye IMO isn't just an internal seeing thing.. and I think "etheral thing" is a very good description.. When our attention is taken by a soundless image but the image evokes a sound, I think the mind's ear fills in the missing.. I can't look at the image without being drawn into hearing it.

#15    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,364 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

This is really an interesting topic, and it touches on how the brain stores memory and how humans in general remember things.

I tend  to lean towards the notion that the human brain stores sensory information prioritized by the particular sense that a person tends to favor.  In other words, the senses serve as "tags" for any given piece of information, and when triggered, reconstruct the context and scenario relevant to that information.  In other words, memory is less a data retrieval system, and more of a cladistical system, like an internet search engine, where data is returned based on relevance and priority.

What is interesting, however, is what determines that relevance and priority.  For people who react strongly to the Queen song, scenarios (the music video, movies, etc) are the first things brought up.  For those who aren't that familiar with the song, they still get the pattern, but it doesn't mean much more than that.  Generally speaking, the mind prioritizes scenarios by which is easiest to remember, not by which is most common.

And, of course, there is the data storage itself.  People tend to favor a given sense.  If you think of it in terms of getting a soda from a vending machine, a visual person is the one who will look at all the buttons, look at the change in their hand, and watch for the can.  An audio person is going to be forcefully pressing the buttons, slamming the change in to hear that "ching" sound when the coin strikes the slider, and probably won't look down till he hears the can drop.  A touch person will have their fingers lingering on the machine the entire time, feeling the vibrations and movement.  An intuitive person might not even look at the machine while carrying out their actions, putting in the coins, pressing a button, and leaning down for the can, taking a moment before he notices that he didn't put in enough money or that his choice is sold out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users