Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Titan: Clue to 'Magic Island' mystery

saturn titan ligeia mare cassini nasa

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

Titan: Clue to 'Magic Island' mystery on Saturn moon

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Scientists have outlined their best explanations for a mysterious feature dubbed the "magic island", which has been spotted on Saturn's moon Titan.

The Cassini spacecraft captured the "island" during a flyby, but it had vanished by the time of the next pass.

The bright splodge is seen in Ligeia Mare, one of the seas of methane and ethane found at Titan's north pole.

Icebergs, waves and gas bubbling up from the sea bed are all possibilities, the scientists say.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,179 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

I read this article in the news, its quite interesting... Im just glad its not come up in the ET section :lol:

from the article:

"This is just further evidence, if we need it, that we just must go back to Titan with a dedicated mission, ideally to land in one of Titan's seas - a Titan Sea Probe. And then we can understand what is happening on the seas of this incredible place."

Well I for one hope they do!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#3    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,386 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

View Postseeder, on 23 June 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

I read this article in the news, its quite interesting... Im just glad its not come up in the ET section :lol:

from the article:

"This is just further evidence, if we need it, that we just must go back to Titan with a dedicated mission, ideally to land in one of Titan's seas - a Titan Sea Probe. And then we can understand what is happening on the seas of this incredible place."

Well I for one hope they do!

Cassini is due for flybys on July 20th, August 21st, September 22nd, October 24th and December 10th http://saturn.jpl.na...aturntourdates/ with the last one being as close as 609 miles.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,179 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostMerc14, on 23 June 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Cassini is due for flybys on July 20th, August 21st, September 22nd, October 24th and December 10th http://saturn.jpl.na...aturntourdates/ with the last one being as close as 609 miles.

Cheers Merc, will keep an eye out for it :tu:

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,386 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

View Postseeder, on 23 June 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

Cheers Merc, will keep an eye out for it :tu:

I know it isn't the mission you mean but at least it is something and the results should be interesting to see.

Edited by Merc14, 23 June 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#6    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Crazy, it's really unbelievable how much we've left to discover about our own solar system. I cannot wait until technology allows us to delve deeper into these mysteries.

#7    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

It's Fantasy Island. Tattoo is waiting for you.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#8    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:08 AM

View Postancient astronaut, on 23 June 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

It's Fantasy Island. Tattoo is waiting for you.
I was thinking the same thing. "The Rocket boss, the Rocket"

#9    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,763 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:01 AM

Maybe Titan has its own "Nessie?" :whistle:

#10    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Psychic Spy

• 1,683 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:26 AM

We invested so much money in a deserted mars looking for life as we know it when life as we not know it might be somewhere else. On titan for instance!

Edited by qxcontinuum, 24 June 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#11    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,386 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:44 AM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 24 June 2014 - 02:26 AM, said:

We invested so much money in a deserted mars looking for life as we know it when life as we not know it might be somewhere else. On titan for instance!

We didn't go to Mars to find living creatures, we went to see if life may have once existed, which would be an amazing find.   As far as life on Titan, the placid lakes on Titan's surface are comprised of liquid ethane or liquid methane, the surface temperature is -179 Celsius and the possible subsurface water is fully mixed with ammonia. There may be some form of primordial life on Titan but it isn't flying spaceships around like you may wish.

Cassini Huygens landed a craft, the Huygens probe, on Titan in 2005 and Cassini is still actively exploring Titan with its myriad instruments.  My point is the we certainly aren't ignoring Titan as we have been actively exploring it for nearly a decade and will continue doing so until near the end of the decade at least.

#12    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Psychic Spy

• 1,683 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:30 AM

View PostMerc14, on 24 June 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

We didn't go to Mars to find living creatures, we went to see if life may have once existed, which would be an amazing find.   As far as life on Titan, the placid lakes on Titan's surface are comprised of liquid ethane or liquid methane, the surface temperature is -179 Celsius and the possible subsurface water is fully mixed with ammonia. There may be some form of primordial life on Titan but it isn't flying spaceships around like you may wish.  

Based on what we have discovered so far on Mars, inclusing river beds, earth like alkalinity, has had atmosphere and organic compounds, can we just say Mars has hosted life before , closing the exploration chapter and move to Titan already? The whole Mars thing it is becoming too expensive , too long , looks like some details photographed are often ignored or improperly analysed what's the point anyway continuing doing .
Sooner the world war 3 will start and will wipe out civilisation as we know it . Here is our change to quickly explore everything we can faster as long we still have money and time. Graduated steps and safe planning might not bring a good turn over.

Edited by qxcontinuum, 24 June 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

View Postseeder, on 23 June 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

Hydrocarbons? I'm sure Exxon will foot the bill...

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    Lotus_Blossom

Lotus_Blossom

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

• "We live by the sun. We feel by the moon."

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

Its Morla the tortoise from The NeverEnding Story. :yes:

#15    Silent Trinity

Silent Trinity

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

• Conspiracy Theorist: Nothing more than a derogatory title used to dismiss a critical thinker

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

Fascinating, be interested to see if there are some tidal forces being exerted on those hydrocrabon oceans, or if the atmosphere coupled with the actual liquid has another effect we have not seen before.... or they could have found the Titan-ness monster (joke lol) :w00t:

Posted Image

"That is the essence of science: ask an impertinent question and you are on the way to a pertinent answer..."

- Jacob Bronowski

Also tagged with saturn, titan, ligeia mare, cassini, nasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users