Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Would ET contact challenge religious faith ?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Theologian Robin Lovin doesn't believe that discovering alien life would cause a 'crisis of faith'.

Few could doubt that the revelation that we are not alone in the universe would have significant and far-reaching consequences for society. Not only would it be one of the most important events in human history but it would also lead us to question our place in the universe and to see ourselves as a species in a new light.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...religious-faith

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Good question!  I think die-hard Christians like my mother would just cling more closely to her Bible and take ET contact as the proof that God created the entire universe, not just this planet.  Whereas I see the Bible as the story of the Jews, she sees it as so much more.  Of course, she is almost 100 and was a Bible School teacher for a very long time.

#3    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

You can twist the bible to fit virtually any scenario or belief.I have no doubt if we found alien life some christian would pull a line out of the bible that supposedly makes reference to them.

#4    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 3,853 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

First I am glad this guy had a revelation that occurred to the Rand Corp. in the 60s.

And if there is one thing that history teaches us it is that we can compel our beliefs upon others no matter the destructive cost to their culture or well-being.

#5    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,411 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Man is very egocentric and has often tried to "do away with" God, because of the implication is, that if we are created beings and not products of random chance and evolution, we might be accountable to our Creator.

We have ideas about how our world is put together, once the earth was flat, now we know better. Once the sun and solar system revolved around the earth, again ditto. We often set forth human traits that supposedly separated us from the beasts. Language was one, but then we found animals with complex languages such as cetaceans. Then we proudly said man is the only animal that uses tools, but we found birds like crows and the famous Woodpecker Finch, Sea Otters, along with our closest relatives the apes, also use tools. Douglas Adams in his famous Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, said that man did away with God, making him disappear in a "puff of logic" and then went on to prove that, "black was white and white was black, but was then summarily "run over at the next Zebra crossing." But despite attempts, the notion of a high being is still very much with us today. Sometimes that notion is misused to be sure, but neither scientific inquiry, nor communism, nor the writings of skeptics and atheists like Voltaire, Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins have done away with God. God is still very much apart of our culture, and not our's alone; believers in some form of deity vastly outnumber those who do not believe.

Now alien contact would be something of a different order of magnitude but I don't see such contact doing away with God or the concept of God. We are talking about a Being that created the entire universe and everything in it. If Earth and our solar system is any example, God is a God of variety and creativity. He made a big universe, mind-bogglingly big, and we have discovered many alien worlds, some possibly capable of sustaining life. Whether sentient, intelligent and technological life exists outside our solar system is an open question. Whether we or such life can breech the light-speed barrier and transverse incredibly vast distances is another unknown.

Such contact would change our perspective on our place in the cosmos, but again I do not see it "doing away with God."

#6    gatekeeper32

gatekeeper32

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

My question is what would happen if they shared the exact same beliefs?

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,377 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

View Postdr no, on 23 June 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

You can twist the bible to fit virtually any scenario or belief.I have no doubt if we found alien life some christian would pull a line out of the bible that supposedly makes reference to them.
You are somewhat correct.  In fact there is a large and growing group of Christians who are concerned about just such a scenario. 2 Thessalonians 2:11
"For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false,"
Many now think that this may refer to an alien visitation.  The bible doesn't clearly reference aliens so if some show up, doing things that seem supernatural, they might readily be accepted as gods by most of humanity.  Christ laid out some specific circumstances surrounding his return.  If Luke Skywalker shows up first then I plan to keep moving and let the rest flock to him in joy ;)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#8    Kenemet

Kenemet

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

Not mine, but then I'm Pagan.

#9    Mr. ET

Mr. ET

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Wait....didn't the Catholic Church come forward and say something about this already? I think they said something like God is bigger than just humanity. I am not Catholic of course but I think thats a good way to think about it. I believe in a god I am just not fond of belonging to any religion.

#10    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,113 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

View PostSundew, on 23 June 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

Man is very egocentric and has often tried to "do away with" God, because of the implication is, that if we are created beings and not products of random chance and evolution, we might be accountable to our Creator.

No, it's the lack of evidence.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was killed, hung on a Hook, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3K yo Tablet saying this is proof that it happened. :D

#11    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,002 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Yup, you just walk right up there with your book, lets see what kind of firepower they got.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#12    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,113 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Aliens probably use a scale of the inhabited Planet's superstition percentage as a decision for formal contact.

This Planet is still child like as a whole.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
Inanna the Goddess of love was killed, hung on a Hook, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3K yo Tablet saying this is proof that it happened. :D

#13    maximusnow

maximusnow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Science is a road trip and facts are the photos we take on the way, the fuel that propels us is ignorance.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

I am a Christian and it would not challenge my faith in Christ. If I took all of the parts and gears of a functioning pocket watch and placed them in a paper bag and shook the contents for a billion years, I would never open the bag and find a working pocket watch. The odds of finding a working pocket watch are better than the Earths creation by chance in chaos. I respect all other beliefs but this one is mine. Jesus said, he is not from this world, so by our definition, he is an Alien / ET.

Edited by maximusnow, 23 June 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#14    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,113 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

View Postmaximusnow, on 23 June 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

I am a Christian and it would not challenge my faith in Christ. If I took all of the parts and gears of a functioning pocket watch and placed them in a paper bag and shook the contents for a billion years, I would never open the bag and find a working pocket watch. The odds of finding a working pocket watch are better than the Earths creation by chance in chaos. I respect all other beliefs but this one is mine. Jesus said, he is not from this world, so by our definition, he is an Alien / ET.

Amen Brother!

Why Atheists think they would get a working Pocket Watch is beyond knowing except that God sent his strong delusion on them for being unGodly.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=k2iHNzNJkJw

Posted Image

#15    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 8,018 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostUM-Bot, on 23 June 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

Theologian Robin Lovin doesn't believe that discovering alien life would cause a 'crisis of faith'.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...religious-faith

It wouldn't for most of us, even the fundamentalist Christians out there, if put in the correct context.

Is the Idea of Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life Compatible with Conservative Judaism & Christianity?

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users