Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The world in upheaval 3000 B.C.E

UM-Bot

Leonard Farra: As I mentioned, in previous articles, extraordinary things were happening on our planet 5,000 years ago . There was a major climate change, and flooding, and this was followed by the rise of advanced civilisations. However, there is another fascinating side to this story and its been a major influence on many aspects of human life ever since. The Quelccaya Ice Cap, in the high Andes Mountains in Peru, is the largest glaciated region in the tropics and Lonnie Thompson, Professor of geological sciences at Ohio State, who conducted scientific research there, made the discovery that something had abruptly happened, around 5,200 years ago, and that it influenced climate over a large area.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

The Masoretic text of Genesis would place Noah's flood at around 2350-2450 BC. However, the Septuagint version found in the New Jerusalem Bible would place it 600 years earlier. This is another reason I prefer the more realistic Septuagint for dating purposes.

An interesting piece--until the great flood, ancient aliens and alternate historians crept into it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting piece--until the great flood, ancient aliens and alternate historians crept into it.

I agree, and quoting Thor Herdahl as a source is not very enlightening. His theories have been discredited by mainstream scientists.

I would like to see more authoratative sources on what, on first reading, is an interesting post.

It was an interesting piece until I started looking at the citations, which referenced different dates than 3000 BCE negating their usefulness to support the article...

• 4 years later...

I agree with Hammerclaw, but as an 'alternate historian' I dislike being put in the same box as 'ancient aliens'. To discuss climate change 5k years ago is legitimate, but to link it with ancient aliens is just daft. I also believe in aliens and I am sure they have been around a lot longer than us - but they are not needed in a discussion of ancient climate. This is just a case of an author putting as many key-words as possible in an article so that it comes out on more Google searches. It doesn't detract from the validity of the cited sources or the validity of ancient climate change.

• Like 1