Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 1 votes

5 Reasons That Make It Clear We Are Not Alone

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#1    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

One of the most popular questions today is “are we alone in the universe?” Believe it or not, you’re in the minority if you believe that absolutely no intelligent life exists in the universe. In the United States alone, at least half of all Americans say that we’re not alone in the universe. Fifty percent of Americans already believe that there is some form of life on other planets, while only seventeen percent think that there isn’t. A quarter of Americans believe that intelligent extraterrestrial visitors have already come to Earth and have been doing so for a long time.

Cont:
http://www.wakingtim...alone-universe/

• "The article contains information about not being alone 'n stuff.  The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such."
  • "Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, SP does not represent, warrant, undertake or guarantee ... that the information in the newsletter is correct, accurate, complete or non-misleading."
  • "SP will not be liable to you in respect of any special, indirect or consequential loss or damage."
  • "If a section of this disclaimer is determined by any court or other competent authority to be unlawful and/or unenforceable, the other sections of this disclaimer continue in effect."

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,037 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

I think most here would agree with that, although where the Skeptics of course would differ would be with the quarter who believe that the extraterrestrials have been visiting. i have no opinion one way or the other, of course. :innocent:

Edited by Admiral Rhubarb, 24 June 2014 - 03:59 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

I'm unable to view the link due to being at work, though I am curious about these 5 reasons. If possible could someone copy paste unless it's too long?

#4    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

1. The size of the universe.

How big does the universe have to be to have two planets with life on it? No one knows.

2. Whistle Blowers.

Yep, they've seen aliens running around and caused all those scandals which never happened because they're liars.

3. The Evidence of UFO's.

Yes, false radar returns and misidentifications are evidence of UFO's. The article, like all UFO articles, simply recycles UFOlogy's Greatest Hits from the past few decades, most of which have been explained.

4. Mass Mainstream Media Attention.

Yessir, you can't go to the CNN web site without a new revelation about alien life every day. Oh, I just checked and couldn't find anything since the UFO report at O'Hare from over eight years ago. Not exactly Watergate coverage.

5. Personal Experience and Video Footage.

Isn't this the same as #3? Meaning worthless?

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,173 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostCuriousRey, on 24 June 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

I'm unable to view the link due to being at work, though I am curious about these 5 reasons. If possible could someone copy paste unless it's too long?

The 5 Reasons given are:

1. The Size of the Universe
2. Whistle Blowers
3: The Evidence of UFOs
4. Mass Mainstream Media Attention
5. Personal Experience and Video Footage

None of the reasons make it clear...that we are not alone at all.  You will see I bolded point 1. I agree, as do millions of others, that life most probably exists elsewhere... but there is nothing to suggest its a fact.. Points 2-5 are forever being argued over in forums just like this, and he hasn't presented anything NEW...that anyone here couldn't know about just by reading the threads

Anyway here is the source of the OP's link, it may work for you
http://www.collectiv...n-the-universe/

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#6    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,406 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

The article offers some good circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. That said, such evidence just isn't definitive. So, while I can say it's quite possible that ETs have scoped us out in their UFOs, it's far from being factual. What we need is Hazzard's famous exhibit "A" (a alien space craft or an ET).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,953 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostCuriousRey, on 24 June 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

It's WAY too long but here are the five: size of the universe, increasing numbers of accredited whistleblowers, physical evidence, mass mainstream media attention to the issue and personal anecdotes and video footage.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

POPULAR

View Postseeder, on 24 June 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

None of the reasons make it clear...that we are not alone at all.  You will see I bolded point 1. I agree, as do millions of others, that life most probably exists elsewhere... but there is nothing to suggest its a fact..

Don't forget that millions of Americans also believe that Earth is less than 10,000 years old. I don't consider mass agreement to be anything to rely on.

#9    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• 1,099 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

View Postseeder, on 24 June 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

The 5 Reasons given are:

1. The Size of the Universe
2. Whistle Blowers
3: The Evidence of UFOs
4. Mass Mainstream Media Attention
5. Personal Experience and Video Footage

None of the reasons make it clear...that we are not alone at all.  You will see I bolded point 1. I agree, as do millions of others, that life most probably exists elsewhere... but there is nothing to suggest its a fact.. Points 2-5 are forever being argued over in forums just like this, and he hasn't presented anything NEW...that anyone here couldn't know about just by reading the threads

Anyway here is the source of the OP's link, it may work for you
http://www.collectiv...n-the-universe/

Thanks for everyone who psoted the reasons, and I completely agree that only #1 has any merit whatsoever. I think it is mathematically impossible for their not to be some form of life elsewhere in the universe, however whether or not we will ever find said life or whether that life will be intelligent I guess only time will tell.

#10    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

For the most part the article regurgitates the likes of Hellyer and Mitchell,neither of which can prove their claims,then on to the dreaded Greer and the National Press Club event which we discussed here recently.The Mexican Air Force video that turned out to be oil platform burn off flares..
It seems that the believers are in a rut and just as the writer of this article proves all we're getting for evidence is repetition of the same old stories,no wonder ufology is dead on its feet

#11    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostCuriousRey, on 24 June 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

I think it is mathematically impossible for their not to be some form of life elsewhere in the universe,

No, we don't have all the values for all of the variables so there is no mathematical way to determine if it's impossible.

#12    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• 1,099 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

View Postscowl, on 24 June 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

No, we don't have all the values for all of the variables so there is no mathematical way to determine if it's impossible.

Touche, well then to reword my earlier statement, In my humble opinion I think it is damned near impossible for there not to be some kind of life out there in the universe besides what we know here on Earth. Just my opinion though! :tu:

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,471 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Due to the (reason no 1 ) size of the Universe, it would be extremely frightening to think that we humans are the only " intelligent " beings out here. Surely we are not the most intelligent beings? considering we are now becoming more and more reliant on technology and the intelligent ones are becoming few and far between.

Example:
The chances of there not being intelligent life in the Universe, would be like England being the only decent team in the World cup.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#14    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,499 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

I believe there is life on other planets.    I won't go as far as saying there is intelligent life out there.    I certainly don't believe they have been and are visiting us.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE-
5 Reasons That Make It Clear We
Are Not Alone
(for a given value of 'clear').....

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users