Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Hover cars to be built in Tel Aviv by 2015

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,105 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

Hover cars to be built in Tel Aviv

A 500m loop will be built on the campus of Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) followed by a commercial network, according to skyTran, the company that will build it.

Two-person vehicles will be suspended from elevated magnetic tracks, as an alternative transport method to congested roads, the firm promised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-27995437

Now when I read this I was hoping it was 'proper hover' ability, so Im a little disappointed, BUT...the picture was pretty cool

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,115 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Sounds like a variation of the kind of maglev monorail system they use in a few places like airports and so on, although I wouldn't mind betting that the IDF is funding research into hover cars as we speak. They'd make pretty good all terrain vehicles, wouldn't they.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

Have you seen the debris those hovercraft whip up?  Litter in the streets is bad enough without it being blown all over the place by hover cars.  Not to mention pebbles.

A hoover hover sounds kinda cool though.

Edited by Eldorado, 25 June 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,105 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostEldorado, on 25 June 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

Have you seen the debris those hovercraft whip up?  Litter in the streets is bad enough without it being blown all over the place by hover cars.

:lol:  And the noise from REAL hovercraft is awful too, I think the article misleads somewhat, I mean really, all they are building is a new form of cable car

Posted Image

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

I wonder if the magnetic part of this could cause people with pacemakers problems....  I suppose it would depend on how powerful the magnetic field is,
and if it's shielded or not...  Still, a pretty cool idea...

#6    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,404 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostTaun, on 25 June 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

I wonder if the magnetic part of this could cause people with pacemakers problems....  I suppose it would depend on how powerful
the magnetic field
Good question.
Good answer:
http://www.transrapi...maker&r_index=2

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#7    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostTaun, on 25 June 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

I wonder if the magnetic part of this could cause people with pacemakers problems....  I suppose it would depend on how powerful the magnetic field is,
and if it's shielded or not...  Still, a pretty cool idea...

I just imagined people with metal pins in their limbs being stuck to the ceiling etc.  lol

#8    Taun

Taun

• 7,568 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

View Posttoast, on 25 June 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Good question.
Good answer:
http://www.transrapi...maker&r_index=2

Thanks...

#9    alfonso

alfonso

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

its just an updated bus/train like service really ,  your going to be limited to where you can on these things if its on any sort of track

#10    Mr. ET

Mr. ET

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

One step closer to the jetsons.

#11    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 4,269 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:43 AM

Obligatory joke about those guys being too good for the ground now........no, must avoid temptation......but on a side note, that is freaking awesome and I can hardly wait to see how it works out in reality.

#12    TheGreatBeliever

TheGreatBeliever

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

• Nanotech!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

Building hovering vehicles is still better. With no strings attached it gets u anywhere

#13    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Seems much less cost and energy-efficient than our MRT/LRT system. Why make a sky-rail with each car having a max seating capacity of 2 people when they can just build it like this?!

Posted Image

Edited by Ashyne, 26 June 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#14    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

While sounding great, it will, unfortunately, just be a target for terrorists.

#15    Taun

Taun

• 7,568 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 26 June 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

While sounding great, it will, unfortunately, just be a target for terrorists.

At two people a pop?... No they will want to strike at something that affects mass numbers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users