Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Sin and Creation

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,833 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

Many Christians do not believe the Creation myth, as an ex-Christian/creationist I wonder what is the explanation of humanity's fundamental flaw? Both the OT and NT imply human nature is wicked, more than just freewill they are incapable of following God's laws.
Did God even create humans at all?

Edited by Rlyeh, 25 June 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,241 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 June 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

Many Christians do not believe the Creation myth, as an ex-Christian/creationist I wonder what is the explanation of humanity's fundamental flaw? Both the OT and NT imply human nature is wicked, more than just freewill they are incapable of following God's laws.
It's a very good question.  I have no idea the answer but I've often wondered if we were intentionally created with such a flaw so that we could grow. If we were created perfectly then we would not be dynamic would we?  It seems there has to be tension (if that's the right word) or opposition for things to strengthen and have scale or perspective.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Poltergeist

• 3,030 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

If I was a Christian, but still recognized the evidence for Cosmology and Evolution to be true?

I would see the fall of Man as a metaphor as wanting to leave the protection of God by being tempted by the physical realm.Picture a Child asking the parent to drive a Car, but in this instance the parent being God says "Here's the Keys".Now everyone is on a wild ride limited to the nature of the vehicle.Everyone is just driving causing all sorts of mayhem.

Posted Image
"I am Caesar and no king" - Gaius Julius Caesar
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Why The Gospels Are Myth"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=mwUZOZN-9dc <-- "Why I Think Jesus Didn't Exist"

#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,833 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 25 June 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

If I was a Christian, but still recognized the evidence for Cosmology and Evolution to be true?

I would see the fall of Man as a metaphor as wanting to leave the protection of God by being tempted by the physical realm.Picture a Child asking the parent to drive a Car, but in this instance the parent being God says "Here's the Keys".Now everyone is on a wild ride limited to the nature of the vehicle.Everyone is just driving causing all sorts of mayhem.
However that doesn't mean everyone wants this outcome. In Christian dogma, humans are incapable of meeting God's standards even if they wanted to, Christ had to come down to them.

When I was a Christian, the Creation myth explained it somewhat; the humans being corrupted by the talking serpent or satan. Since discarding creationism, my Christian beliefs followed.

As much as I dislike creationism, I see it more compatible with the Christian dogma than theistic evolution.

Edited by Rlyeh, 25 June 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

I'm not a big Dawkins fan but I agree with his statement that evolution is incompatible with Christianity.

Edit: I don't necessarily agree that Christian theistic evolutionists are deluded, they're trying to reconcile their faith with scientific evidence.

Edited by Rlyeh, 25 June 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#6    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Poltergeist

• 3,030 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 June 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

However that doesn't mean everyone wants this outcome. In Christian dogma, humans are incapable of meeting God's standards even if they wanted to, Christ had to come down to them.

When I was a Christian, the Creation myth explained it somewhat; the humans being corrupted by the talking serpent or satan. Since discarding creationism, my Christian beliefs followed.

As much as I dislike creationism, I see it more compatible with the Christian dogma than theistic evolution.

Yes I can understand what you are saying.

The thing is you can make anything fit when you want to believe.Sin and punishment is a very powerful tool that still works to this day.

When you are convinced of a made up disease, you will seek the fake cure.If all people looked for real answers, and were able to handle some unknowns, then Religion would be out.

Posted Image

#7    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Poltergeist

• 3,030 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 June 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

I'm not a big Dawkins fan but I agree with his statement that evolution is incompatible with Christianity.

Edit: I don't necessarily agree that Christian theistic evolutionists are deluded, they're trying to reconcile their faith with scientific evidence.

Since you brought up Dawkins.

Does a Young Earth Creationist have more faith than an Evolution believing Christian?

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=TjxZ6MrBl9E

Posted Image

#8    Perceptivum

Perceptivum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

• Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 June 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

Fascinating question and I have recently asked myself that on several occasions.  Although the Apocryphon of John is questionable, after reading it I wondered if Yaltabaoth wasn't the actual creator the earth, mankind, and was the god of the Old Testament.

Although I am a Christian, I do not believe the earth and everything on it (including man/woman) was created in 6-days.  Simply impossible in view of the substantial evidence.

"Even if you are in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth". - Ghandi

"A conspiracy is a truth awaiting revelation." - Me

#9    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

View PostPerceptivum, on 25 June 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

Fascinating question and I have recently asked myself that on several occasions.  Although the Apocryphon of John is questionable, after reading it I wondered if Yaltabaoth wasn't the actual creator the earth, mankind, and was the god of the Old Testament.

Although I am a Christian, I do not believe the earth and everything on it (including man/woman) was created in 6-days.  Simply impossible in view of the substantial evidence.
When I became sceptical of Christianity I found Gnosticism and the concept of the demiurge fascinating but not completely believable.

#10    Perceptivum

Perceptivum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

• Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 June 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

...Gnosticism and the concept of the demiurge fascinating but not completely believable.

I would agree.

"Even if you are in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth". - Ghandi

"A conspiracy is a truth awaiting revelation." - Me

#11    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,410 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

The whole disconnect with nature and science is what really what did it for me with the Abrahamic religions and made my atheist father a happy man.   The idea that we special and are not part of nature is ludacrest.  The only sin our ancestors did was climbing down from the trees.  The Earth was here along time before we came along and it will be here long after we are gone.  

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#12    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,056 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

View PostPerceptivum, on 25 June 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

Because there's no time in spirit, you are correct. Six days to spirit is a looong time.

#13    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Poltergeist

• 3,030 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

Obvious Bronze age mumbo jumbo is obvious.

Posted Image

#14    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

• "If you can't say something nice, be creative."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 25 June 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

Edited by DeWitz, 25 June 2014 - 09:41 PM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#15    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,056 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 25 June 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

Cant talk now,  gotta get back to the forge.
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users