Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Nigerian mall bombed 21+ dead

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,942 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

This is sad.  Apparently you just don't want to gather in public for a predictable crowd such as watching a cup match.

An explosion in a Nigerian shopping mall has killed at least 21 people just an hour before the national football team played Argentina in the World Cup.
Witnesses said the blast left body parts scattered around the Emab Plaza in an upmarket district of Abuja, as billows of black smoke could be seen from a mile away.
It turned what should have been a national celebration into a national tragedy as Nigeria secured its place in the World Cup's knockout stages for the first time since 1998.
It came a week after 14 people were killed by a suicide bomb while watching the Brazil v Mexico match in Damaturu, Nigeria.
Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi said after tonight's match: 'How much of a victory is football going to give for those lives? What are they doing these guys? They did it the first game, and they now they did it again, it is sad.'

Read more

Edited by OverSword, 25 June 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,837 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

The article goes on to say that the attack bears all the hallmarks of (guess who) Boko Haram. Yep, it's suspected that this is likely the work of the same terrorists who recently kidnapped a group of young school girls. These guys are pure evil.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,457 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

Looks like more Peace being spread by our friends in the Religion of Peace.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,837 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 26 June 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

No, this comes from those who are using religion for their own perverted goals. We need to keep in mind that terrorists aren't the majority of muslim people.

Posted Image

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostLilly, on 26 June 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

No, this comes from those who are using religion for their own perverted goals. We need to keep in mind that terrorists aren't the majority of muslim people.

It seems it has made quite a mark in some countries.
If one muslim can kill 21 innocent people because of their religion, then that is 21 innocent deaths too many and it is no excuse by saying "but they are not all like that". we know they are not all like that, but the murderer was still a  fanatical muslim.

Edited by freetoroam, 26 June 2014 - 10:37 AM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,837 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 26 June 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

If one muslim can kill 21 innocent people because of their religion, then that is 21 innocent deaths too many and it is no excuse by saying "but they are not all like that". the murderer was still a muslim.

And I highly suspect that many of the people killed in the shopping center and the girls that were kidnapped are muslim as well. The idea that an entire group/religion should be denounced due to the actions of a few is illogical and rather bigoted.

The bottom line is that not all muslims are terrorists. We need to keep this in mind.

Posted Image

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostLilly, on 26 June 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

And I highly suspect that many of the people killed in the shopping center and the girls that were kidnapped are muslim as well. The idea that an entire group/religion should be denounced due to the actions of a few is illogical and rather bigoted.

The bottom line is that not all muslims are terrorists. We need to keep this in mind.
I agree, keep it in mind, but we must also keep in mind that the terrorists fanatics are also muslims. Its a catch 22, we can see what is happening in some countries where the muslims are murdering each other. After all these years and there seems to be no end to the terrorism and murdering of innocent people, in fact, it seems to be escalating.
England has now a problem in certain muslim schools, what do we say? muslims are not all like that? how is it escalating here in a western country?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,837 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Terrorism is a global problem, but this particular thread is about the bombing at the Nigerian shopping center. In this case it's highly suspected that the Boko Haram group is behind the attack. What/who is behind other acts of terrorism certainly varies. However, we should try and keep the discussion on this particular bombing.

Posted Image

#9    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,717 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 26 June 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

"Terrorist aren't the majority of Muslim people" has made a mark in some countries?  Can you clarify this statement?

If one muslim can kill 21 innocent people because of their religion, then that is 21 innocent deaths too many

Why limit it to muslims?  The latest school shooting in the U.S. had 20 victims, and they don't get much more innocent.  Anyone killing innocents who have no idea why they are being killed has something wrong upstairs.

and it is no excuse by saying "but they are not all like that".

I agree, it isn't an excuse.  An excuse would assume that the accusation had validity to begin with.  What the statement above points out is that attempting to place the blame on something that is only generally associated with an evil act is as wrong for people on this side of the argument to do as it was for people on the bombers side to do.  Tangential association is never a justified reason for direct attack.

After all, that exact reasoning is why they bombed the mall in the first place.

we know they are not all like that, but the murderer was still a  fanatical muslim.

Yes, but the problem here is that you are emphasizing the religious angle, and specifically focusing on the muslim angle, where the problem is not with muslims.  The problem is with fanatics.

Religion, sports, politics, you name, it has its followers and it has its fanatics.  I don't have any numbers, but I would be willing to bet the number of people willing to do violence to innocents among the followers is nowhere near the percentage of the fanatics who are willing to commit violence.

Most muslims, like most anyone, are quite happy to go about their lives, with their religion playing a personally and socially significant role, but one best taken with moderation and not worth getting obsessive about.  Just because a muslim touches his head to the ground five times a day doesn't mean he is a devoted and devout follower, no more than going to church every Sunday means one is devoted to the church.  There are billions of people all around the world who take their religion with just enough seriousness to call it a religion, but not much more, and they like to go shopping ,and watch sports, and play with their kids.

And then you got the ***hat fanatics, who aren't happy unless everyone is as miserable as they are.  The guys who take their faith entirely too seriously (and I am not limiting this to religion either) are the ones who inevitably end up causing all the problems.  It boggles me how the same fanaticism allows a tiny group to control a larger group simply because the larger group doesn't consider the subject worth getting worked up about.

#10    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,055 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Boko haram warned that this would happen, they already bombed another group of soccer fans on the 18th June here is the
link

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t3

This is not going to stop and the venues where it is going to occur have already been highlighted by Boko bonkers so why is security not
all over it?  These latest victims should not have died.  Nigeria is doing absolutely jack about dealing with these nutters, it's frustrating
watching a government so inept at protecting it's citizens.

Edited by libstaK, 26 June 2014 - 02:36 PM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#11    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,562 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 26 June 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

With respect, they are extremist murderers spreading nothing but blood.  Nothing more.

Same as the 'heroes' who did this: http://en.wikipedia....i/Omagh_bombing

Edited by Eldorado, 26 June 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#12    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,942 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostEldorado, on 26 June 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

With respect, they are extremist murderers spreading nothing but blood.  Nothing more.

Same as the 'heroes' who did this: http://en.wikipedia....i/Omagh_bombing
Wait a sec El.  I didn't know the IRA were Muslim.

#13    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,562 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostOverSword, on 26 June 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

Wait a sec El.  I didn't know the IRA were Muslim.

They're not.  And neither are Boko Haram.  Calling yourself Muslim, or Roman Catholic does't make you one.  Your actions will determine that and if you murder indiscrminately you are no Muslim and no Christian.

#14    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,837 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostEldorado, on 26 June 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

They're not.  And neither are Boko Haram.  Calling yourself Muslim, or Roman Catholic does't make you one.  Your actions will determine that and if you murder indiscrminately you are no Muslim and no Christian.

El, I like your way of thinking here. Indeed, if anyone is going to proclaim that they're religious then go out and kidnap and murder...no way are they really religious people.

Posted Image

#15    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,942 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Exactly.  Too many people blame religion for the actions of humans.  You can often read in the religious forums ignorant spiteful people saying 'Christians/Muslims do or say that which prove Christianity\Islam are terrible.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users