Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA's 'flying saucer' tested successfully

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

An experimental saucer-shaped vehicle designed to be used on Mars has undergone a successful test flight.

Intended as a mechanism for slowing down spacecraft landing on Mars, NASA's Low Density Supersonic Decelerator (LDSD) was lifted high in to the Earth's atmosphere on Saturday using a balloon that took it to 120,000ft before releasing it.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ed-successfully

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    alfonso

alfonso

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

did anybody actually see and report it?? haha

#3    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,201 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

I bet during the tests, the number of ufo flying saucers have been topping a new record...

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 29 June 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

I bet during the tests, the number of ufo flying saucers have been topping a new record...

How exactly?

This has been flown a grand total of once, from under a balloon, over the ocean. How is that going to have raised UFO sightings?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,201 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

Just saying...from this type of tests ufo sightings are often sparked.
If i will be happening to walk around and see in the sky something looking like what was posted in the buletin I would believe for a few hours in alien driven UFO's

Edited by qxcontinuum, 30 June 2014 - 05:16 AM.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 30 June 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:

Just saying...from this type of tests ufo sightings are often sparked.
If i will be happening to walk around and see in the sky something looking like what was posted in the buletin I would believe for a few hours in alien driven UFO's

Soo you are often fooled into believing balloons are alien spacecraft are you? Just saying.

Read the article, the test vehicle is released at 120,000 ft over the ocean, you would not be able to see it at that altitude.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,413 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

Test Vehicle Powered Flight vid:
https://www.youtube....eoeBF8QMGE#t=22

Other LDSD test vids here:
http://www.nasa.gov/...sd/telecon2014/

Edited by toast, 30 June 2014 - 08:00 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#8    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,564 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

Did I read the chute was of a new design they were testing ? Just  wondering what the modifications were .

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

View PostROGER, on 30 June 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Did I read the chute was of a new design they were testing ? Just  wondering what the modifications were .

I don't think it is so much the design as the size and materials it is made of. I have failed to find much detail on the chute (NASA call it a Supersonic Disk Sail {SDS} Parachute) apart from the fact that it is massive and designed to open at Mach 2.

Posted Image
Click on button

#10    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,564 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

OK , here's a video from a few weeks ago . If I understand the ring's worked fine , but the cute out of the CAN didn't deploy as expected . I'm thinking the slight spin may have tied up a cord coming out . We will see . https://www.youtube....h?v=Rf-twIwantU

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

#11    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

LDSD Test Vehicle Returns

NASA's saucer-shaped test vehicle, the Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator (LDSD) was recovered from the ocean and returned to Port Allen, Kauai, on June 29, 2014.

Credit: NASA/JPL

Source: NASA/JPL - Videos

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users