Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Mars One seeks experiments for 2018 mission


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

    News, media and articles

  • 6,196 posts
  • Joined:21 Mar 2001
  • Gender:Male

  • Beep Boop

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

The non-profit organization is now accepting proposals for scientific payloads that it can send to mars.

Quote

With its controversial plan to send humans to live on Mars in the not-too-distant future, the Netherlands-based Mars One has been raising more than a few eyebrows of late with critics arguing that the technology and resources available simply aren't sufficient for it to make good on its promises.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...or-2018-mission

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Sundew

Sundew

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,422 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:An island by the sea.

  • Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

The most basic one I can think of is taking Martian soil, adding water and see if plants will germinate and grow. Any colony is likely far into the future, but we can't shuttle all our food back and forth to Mars; growing some of it will be essential at some point. If the plants do grow, then the next experiment should be to analyze them for nutrient uptake and nutritional value, because many component elements necessary for human nutritions may be sorely lacking on Mars. I have the feeling that growing crops will be a long uphill battle since there are no organics in the soil (i.e like compost on Earth) so you would be working with a purely mineral based soil.


#3    maximusnow

maximusnow

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Science is a road trip and facts are the photos we take on the way, the fuel that propels us is ignorance.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

Let me get out my check list, 1)My super fine wife 2) Cable TV Hi Def 3)Two lazy boy delux recliners 4)Two year supply of Coca-Cola and comfort foods 5)Guns and Ammo(U never know!)6) A little somethin fer me Nerves.


#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

    Space Cadet

  • 33,890 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bexleyheath, Kent, UK

  • We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

    Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

View Postmaximusnow, on 01 July 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Let me get out my check list, 1)My super fine wife 2) Cable TV Hi Def 3)Two lazy boy delux recliners 4)Two year supply of Coca-Cola and comfort foods 5)Guns and Ammo(U never know!)6) A little somethin fer me Nerves.

Wonderful, but what exactly does this have to do with experiments for an unmanned mission to Mars?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    maximusnow

maximusnow

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Science is a road trip and facts are the photos we take on the way, the fuel that propels us is ignorance.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 01 July 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Wonderful, but what exactly does this have to do with experiments for an unmanned mission to Mars?
Bas Lansdorp. "We're not only looking for scientific proposals but also for outreach or educational ones."
This would be my list of items to send in advance, for me to successfully thrive on the red planet. He said there not just looking for scientific stuff. I know, sorry, this is serious, my bad.


#6    paperdyer

paperdyer

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Joined:04 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Carolina

  • "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostSundew, on 01 July 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

The most basic one I can think of is taking Martian soil, adding water and see if plants will germinate and grow. Any colony is likely far into the future, but we can't shuttle all our food back and forth to Mars; growing some of it will be essential at some point. If the plants do grow, then the next experiment should be to analyze them for nutrient uptake and nutritional value, because many component elements necessary for human nutritions may be sorely lacking on Mars. I have the feeling that growing crops will be a long uphill battle since there are no organics in the soil (i.e like compost on Earth) so you would be working with a purely mineral based soil.
I'm sure any scientific study will include the evaluation of fertiziers, either brought on the trip or produced on site. (If you know what I mean!) :rofl:


#7    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

    Aqualish Dude

  • Member
  • 5,785 posts
  • Joined:28 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

  • I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

These Mars One threads are not drawing the comments they used too. I wonder if this is a reflection of peoples interest in the project or the likelihood of it succeeding.


#8    skookum

skookum

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Sussex, UK

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 02 July 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

These Mars One threads are not drawing the comments they used too. I wonder if this is a reflection of peoples interest in the project or the likelihood of it succeeding.

Well all we get is claims and timelines yet were is the action?  The timeline they have given themselves is very ambitious and if it is to succeed they really need to show some action.

I want to know how they going to get a Rocket, command vehicle and lander designed, tested and built to get people on Mars in the timescale.  Can't wait until we get those details.

Then you have the environment suites, habitation, whether Mars is even capable of growing crops on in they scale they will be needed.

Edited by skookum, 02 July 2014 - 12:21 PM.

Posted Image

#9    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

    Aqualish Dude

  • Member
  • 5,785 posts
  • Joined:28 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

  • I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

View Postskookum, on 02 July 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Well all we get is claims and timelines yet were is the action?  The timeline they have given themselves is very ambitious and if it is to succeed they really need to show some action.

I want to know how they going to get a Rocket, command vehicle and lander designed, tested and built to get people on Mars in the timescale.  Can't wait until we get those details.

Then you have the environment suites, habitation, whether Mars is even capable of growing crops on in they scale they will be needed.

The project is ambitious regardless of timeline before factoring in all that you mention, but timelines are a lot easier to create than missions to Mars.

If successful the knock on effects would be inspiring. I just can't shake the feeling that this is a media stunt that will never get off the ground, literally. Either way I get the feeling someone will be making a profit.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#10    skookum

skookum

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Sussex, UK

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 02 July 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

The project is ambitious regardless of timeline before factoring in all that you mention, but timelines are a lot easier to create than missions to Mars.

If successful the knock on effects would be inspiring. I just can't shake the feeling that this is a media stunt that will never get off the ground, literally. Either way I get the feeling someone will be making a profit.

It sounds like a media stunt to me but who knows.  If successful I think it will really open the gates for commercial space exploration and colonization for the future.  Problem is if it is all a hoax then it may impede people trying to get investment in the future.

Posted Image

#11    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined:15 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rivenspire

  • The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Experiments? What a waste of time.

Just plant flags and start fighting over who gets what.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#12    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

    Aqualish Dude

  • Member
  • 5,785 posts
  • Joined:28 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

  • I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

View Postskookum, on 02 July 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Problem is if it is all a hoax then it may impede people trying to get investment in the future.

As well as crushing the dreams of those who have signed up and others who have put time and effort into the project.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#13    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

    Jedi Master

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined:10 Jun 2014
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

  • "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

I certainly hope it is not a hoax and I hope I get to see some sort of implementation in my lifetime.


#14    spartan max2

spartan max2

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,504 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 02 July 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

These Mars One threads are not drawing the comments they used too. I wonder if this is a reflection of peoples interest in the project or the likelihood of it succeeding.

you'll see my attention once it actually happens. 4 years is a long way off

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#15    schizoid78

schizoid78

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Joined:07 Aug 2010

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

"non-profit organization"???? I missed this one.

How could a non-profit organization, tackle the biggest (and most costly) challenge of the century (or maybe the next) without investors???

How they will raise the money?

That is a joke, right!

Schizo





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users