Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientist investigates phone call telepathy

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

Dr. Rupert Sheldrake conducted a study to see if we really can tell who is calling before picking up.

If you've ever received a phone call out of the blue that you weren't expecting but somehow found that you knew who was on the other end before you even picked up the phone then you aren't alone - the phenomenon of 'telephone telepathy' is not a new one.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-call-telepathy

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    gatekeeper32

gatekeeper32

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

I would be telepathic too.  Skipped work boss will eventually call. Going to the bar all night, wife will call.  Late on bills, the devil of collections will call.

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,777 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

Interesting,  mine works in that when a take a shower or lay down for a nap, the phone rings.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#4    sam_comm

sam_comm

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

That's looks interesting, especially if positive results above that of mere chance probability can be replicated independantly in riguorous conditions. Though seperating the possible effect of a 'telepathy' from that of a 'precognition' is extremely difficult in this kind of experiment, as precognition:

is a type of extrasensory perception that would involve the acquisition or effect of future information that cannot be deduced from presently available and normally acquired sense-based information.

Source:  http://en.wikipedia....ki/Precognition

Edited by sam_comm, 01 July 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

I do this all the time based on I know who calls at what time of day, and on which days of the week. It is still guessing though.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,261 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 01 July 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

I do this all the time based on I know who calls at what time of day, and on which days of the week. It is still guessing though.

You took the words out of my mouth, its a process of elimination followed with an educated guess...

Also nobody goes on about the time they guessed wrong, so a bit of selective memory is chucked in for good measure.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#7    Talion78

Talion78

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yep - easy in my house.......at certain times wife's mother another time slot, wife's father.........any other time sales......and I'm not psychic.

#8    sam_comm

sam_comm

Psychic Spy

• 1,003 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Not so easy here at home. We do have unexpected calls quite frequently from relatives and friends which fits into no particular and precise timeframe. We might at best try to ''guess'' who it could be while the phone is ringing without any definitive idea but as for myself, right answers don't rise above what mere chance probability will permit.

Edited by sam_comm, 01 July 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#9    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,168 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

I only have to look at my phone to know whose calling lol

#10    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

For any multiple choice of 4, just pick C.  It's been proven that you will be correct more than the 25%.  .

Edited by paperdyer, 02 July 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#11    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,763 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

That never happened to me for phones, but I did manage to blow my friends' minds on a few occasions for radio. I'd be sing a tune that pops in my mind. Then soon after, someone will turn the radio on (because my singing skills are frowned upon). Oddly enough, if they switch a few stations around, the song I was muttering was playing.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#12    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• 1,099 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

View Post:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, on 02 July 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

That never happened to me for phones, but I did manage to blow my friends' minds on a few occasions for radio. I'd be sing a tune that pops in my mind. Then soon after, someone will turn the radio on (because my singing skills are frowned upon). Oddly enough, if they switch a few stations around, the song I was muttering was playing.

This has happened to me more times than I can count, so many times a song will be stuck in my head before hopping into my car and as soon as the car cranks up wham! the song is on the radio. I would normally attribute this to listening to the same station often and them just having a certain playlist, however I have a pretty eclectic taste in music and listen to a variety of stations so it's really just coincidence... or is it? :alien:

#13    sam_comm

sam_comm

Psychic Spy

• 1,003 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:19 AM

View Postseeder, on 02 July 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

I only have to look at my phone to know whose calling lol

Many people these days register as ''Caller ID Unknown'' so it's not always easy. :sm

Edited by sam_comm, 03 July 2014 - 03:20 AM.

#14    FizzPuff

FizzPuff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

I've had this happen a few times, I'll admit. It's weird really. You think you feel your phone vibrate and nothing is there, but you still get a call or text later.

#15    Saitung

Saitung

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• We are today, the sum totality of all our life's decisions.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

Great Post, Dr. Sheldrake has done some great ground-breaking work and studies in the areas of animals and human non-verbal communication.
See: When Animals Talk with Dr. Jane Goodall.

The TRUTH is never pure and rarely simple. [Oscar Wilde]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users