Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Old Windows software - when should I recycle?

microsoft windows

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

I have been using Windows since the 1990's.  In the meantime, I have managed to acquire a lot of Windows CD-ROM software, especially from friends and family.

Now I noticed that Windows 8 won't run a lot of these, even if an earlier compatibility mode is set.

Is there a general rule regarding when these programs should be gotten rid of?   There is a business nearby that will recycle the CD-ROMs.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

There is no general rule, just a general trick: have a copy of an older OS and use your old software there. I still have a CP/M system, a OS2 system, a MSDOS system and a Windows 98 system (That has only one real use, my Cakewalk composing program).

If your old software is still useful keep it, if not those CDs make a hell of a mobile to hang on the ceiling.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

There is no general rule, just a general trick: have a copy of an older OS and use your old software there. I still have a CP/M system, a OS2 system, a MSDOS system and a Windows 98 system (That has only one real use, my Cakewalk composing program).

If your old software is still useful keep it, if not those CDs make a hell of a mobile to hang on the ceiling.

Wow - OS/2 - I haven't seen that since the 90's.  They used it at one job I had but I didn't get to work with it too much.   When I was a kid we had the old Radio Shack TRS80 MS-DOS computers in school.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

If you want to be greener than questionmark's suggestion of making a mobile, try this site: The CD Recycling Center of America

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 01 July 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

I have been using Windows since the 1990's.  In the meantime, I have managed to acquire a lot of Windows CD-ROM software, especially from friends and family.

Now I noticed that Windows 8 won't run a lot of these, even if an earlier compatibility mode is set.

Is there a general rule regarding when these programs should be gotten rid of?   There is a business nearby that will recycle the CD-ROMs.

Noooo, never get rid of them! I still have an old cd case with tons of older windows games/programs including my original redneck rampage cd :w00t:  They're relics! keep them even if they don't work.

Edited by CuriousRey, 01 July 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#6    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:41 AM

View PostCuriousRey, on 01 July 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Noooo, never get rid of them! I still have an old cd case with tons of older windows games/programs including my original redneck rampage cd :w00t:  They're relics! keep them even if they don't work.

Too late, I already got rid of some of them.  No resale value online on eBay.   :innocent:

#7    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• 1,099 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 02 July 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

Too late, I already got rid of some of them.  No resale value online on eBay.   :innocent:

Aww shucks, I tried. :cry:

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,769 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Our neighbors just gave us a bunch of children's books that their kids had outgrown and in the bag was an UNOPENED copy of Windows 95 - complete with a free 30-day AOL coupon.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,953 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 01 July 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Sell them rather than throw them.  Some people (myself included) got addicted to certain games on PC that cannot be played on newer machines/OS's
Having backup software for one of those older machines is worth $ to some people.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#10    DefenceMinisterMishkin

DefenceMinisterMishkin

It won't bite!

• 2,108 posts

• It's what your right hand's for!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

For the love of god hang onto them, the way operating systems are going you might want to format the harddrive and install good old XP :tu:

Posted Image

#11    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,238 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

I still have a lot of my old floppy discs. I like them better then USBs because i don't lose them all the ******* time. When i need them......

#12    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,499 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

View Poststevemagegod, on 31 July 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

I still have a lot of my old floppy discs. I like them better then USBs because i don't lose them all the ******* time. When i need them......

Those old floppy discs only hold 1.44 mb.    They would not be of much use to me.   Many pics are more than that.

#13    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

I got rid of some but kept a few favorite games and software.   Got rid of old things like Corel Draw from 1996, since there are probably better free alternatives today.

Most of these still work on Windows Vista and 7, so there were some major structure changes going to Windows 8.

I converted all my floppy disks to CD-ROM, but I still keep an old floppy drive. Someone, somewhere might need a file saved.

Edited by little_dreamer, 31 July 2014 - 02:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users