Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

first amendment: left vs right concept of

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,956 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

The first amendment has three rights in it.  Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press.

The left concept of freedom of speach ,  you have freedom of speech as long as I agree with you.
The rights concept of freedom of speech, I disagree with you but will defend your freedom of speech.

The lefts concept of freedom of religion, as long as you keep it behind closed doors.
The rights concept of freedom of religion, you can practice it in the public square as long your not trying to cause a riot.

Both concept of freedom of press, control it.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,667 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

There are actually six specific things mentioned in the first amendment, not three. Why not read it before trying to bait people into an agruement in your thread?

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,124 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

The rights concept of freedom of religion, you can practice it in the public square as long your not trying to cause a riot as I agree with it (and it's Christian).

Edited by Rlyeh, 04 July 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#4    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,841 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 04 July 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

There are actually six specific things mentioned in the first amendment, not three. Why not read it before trying to bait people into an agruement in your thread?

Wouldnt meantioning the other 3 just make it that much worse? I agree with his analisis so far. I agree with Rlyeh as well. Many Christians do seem to have a problem with other's expressing their religious freedoms in the public square. Not that they try to stop it, but often feel they have to counter it basically in protest. Which is within their rights, but strange none the less.

Edited by preacherman76, 04 July 2014 - 04:08 PM.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#5    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,108 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

View Postdanielost, on 04 July 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

The first amendment has three rights in it.  Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press.

The left concept of freedom of speach ,  you have freedom of speech as long as I agree with you.
The rights concept of freedom of speech, I disagree with you but will defend your freedom of speech.

The lefts concept of freedom of religion, as long as you keep it behind closed doors.
The rights concept of freedom of religion, you can practice it in the public square as long your not trying to cause a riot.

Both concept of freedom of press, control it.
Rarely have I seen more self serving BS

#6    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

Oh, the left sucks? Very original and thought provoking thread.

You need a hobby.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#7    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,320 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

The six rights of the first amendment: 1) Prohibiting any law respecting the establishment of a religion
2) The right to free exercise of religion
3) The right to free speech
4) Freedom of press
5) Right to peaceful assembly
6) Right to governmental redress of grievances.

#8    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,320 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

I do have to ask though. If the right wing is as you say Danie, then why are they fighting the satanic statue in Oklahoma?

#9    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,667 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 04 July 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Wouldnt meantioning the other 3 just make it that much worse? I agree with his analisis so far. I agree with Rlyeh as well. Many Christians do seem to have a problem with other's expressing their religious freedoms in the public square. Not that they try to stop it, but often feel they have to counter it basically in protest. Which is within their rights, but strange none the less.

He started from an incorrect premise. No law respecting an establishment of religion is a pretty big thing to leave out as it ties directly to his mention of practicing religion in the public square.
Free assembly is another big right that he decides not to mention, along with petitioning the government for a redress of grievances, though even I find that one laughable today.

Besides, this is just another "I hate the left" thread. This is more suited to a blog post than a thread that has no real merit in discussing.
We get it already. There are people on here that don't like liberals.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 04 July 2014 - 05:57 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#10    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,956 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 04 July 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

The rights concept of freedom of religion, you can practice it in the public square as long your not trying to cause a riot as I agree with it (and it's Christian).

The only religion their trying to keep out of the public square is christian.  It also says the government shall not establish a religion,  Atheism is a religion.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#11    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,956 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 04 July 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

He started from an incorrect premise. No law respecting an establishment of religion is a pretty big thing to leave out as it ties directly to his mention of practicing religion in the public square.
Free assembly is another big right that he decides not to mention, along with petitioning the government for a redress of grievances, though even I find that one laughable today.

Besides, this is just another "I hate the left" thread. This is more suited to a blog post than a thread that has no real merit in discussing.
We get it already. There are people on here that don't like liberals.

It also says government cannot stop a religion from being practiced.  Which would include if it is in the public square.  You want to stop Christians and out prayer sinks in for the Muslims.  So they can wash their feet before praying.

#12    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,667 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

View Postdanielost, on 04 July 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

It also says government cannot stop a religion from being practiced.  Which would include if it is in the public square.  You want to stop Christians and out prayer sinks in for the Muslims.  So they can wash their feet before praying.

What?

#13    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,108 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

View Postdanielost, on 04 July 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

The only religion their trying to keep out of the public square is christian.  It also says the government shall not establish a religion,  Atheism is a religion.
Atheism is absolutely not a religion.

#14    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,601 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Let's make it a Religion:

Lots of problems with this.   Making all kinds of jabs about how one's personal beliefs are different from the establishment beliefs is well and good.   But if atheists really wanted to challenge religion, making atheism a religion would be one way to do it.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#15    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,108 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

If atheism is a religion, not being sick is a disease

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users