Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Queen names UK's biggest warship

royal navy aircraft carriers warship rosyth dockyard hms queen elizabeth

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,346 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

The UK's largest warship marks "a new phase in our naval history", the Queen has said, as the vessel was officially named in her honour at a ceremony at Fife's Rosyth Dockyard.

A bottle of whisky was smashed on the hull of the 65,000-tonne HMS Queen Elizabeth - the first of two new Royal Navy aircraft carriers being built.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28146412

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,278 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

So the future looks bright then NOT! No peace is on the cards if they feel they need  new WARships.
What a waste of a bottle of whisky, and could they not have stretched to a bottle of champagne?
This is what our tax payers money is going on and where in the world is this ship going to show off its "greatness" ?
How about spending the money right here in GREAT BRITAIN and keep us safe from the criminals who have been flooding this country from all corners of the world?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,683 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 05 July 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

So the future looks bright then NOT! No peace is on the cards if they feel they need  new WARships.
What a waste of a bottle of whisky, and could they not have stretched to a bottle of champagne?
This is what our tax payers money is going on and where in the world is this ship going to show off its "greatness" ?
How about spending the money right here in GREAT BRITAIN and keep us safe from the criminals who have been flooding this country from all corners of the world?

The saying goes the first rule of government is to protect its citizens - We live in a challenging and ever changing world were threats to our stability, economy, trade and interest in the world will be challenged - to meet these challenges and to that end you have to be able to project power around the world. the aircraft carrier is the perfect asset for this, the Royal Navy is patrolling all the major trade routes, 98% of our trade and goods arrive by sea.

The United Kingdom as a duty to not only ourselves but to our overseas territories. take the Caribbean for example - ever year during the Hurricane season the Navy send send ships to assist incase of a natural disaster/humanitarian crisis.

As for the use of Whiskey instead of the traditional champagne, it was symbolic, with the ship being built in Scotland. Champagne as not always been used in the past either.

At the end of the day if someone is going to hit you with a stick, its always better to hit them back with a bigger stick. and military equipment such as the Aircraft carriers aren't built overnight.

If we followed you logic back in 1982, we'd never had been able to liberate British citizens from Argentine invasion and aggression of the Falkland Islands.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    Subsonicjourno

Subsonicjourno

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

• https://www.facebook.com/Unconqueredseries

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

I'd rather the gov spent my tax money on building more warships and building up the army than throw it away on foreign aid and art projects. The world is getting increasingly dangerous and we need to be ready for it.

#5    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

We need plane cover and a platform from which to launch them for when we decide to steal other peoples oil.

Or had you forgotten? lmao.

#6    Red Howler

Red Howler

Angry werewolf girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

A cruise ship would've been nice.

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,278 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

We live in a global world now, a lot different from the days when little Islands and certain areas of the world  had no connections to the outside world other than what was being told to them by "visitors".
Our own land needs protection first, and I have a bad feeling that those who insist on this kind of "protection" have only their own interests at heart, they do not give a damn about England, they want the GREAT Britain status to go with their big bucks warships, but really? if today the way to peace with other countries is to show them who have the biggest knobs, then we truly are living in a sad world and have learned NOTHING from all the wars and deaths of the past.
This war ship will not protect us from the likes of fanatical suicide bombers, it will not protect us from selling our businesses to foreign countries, it will not protect this country full stop!
We are not in a position to take on the worlds problems on our own, there is no need, if there is a crisis in another country then all those who can help...should help and that includes all the multi mega rich Indians and Africans out there. But once again, our big knobs in the high places have to make themselves look mighty at the tax payers expense.

I am anti war, and do not see how building bigger guns is on the path to a peaceful world, but others will deny this as it seems the way to a peaceful world is kill them before them try and kill you...well they should have thought about that before invading other countries and at the same time allowing the enemy to flourish here!

I wonder how many people living in England today would be prepared to stand up and fight for this country if we got invaded? If the likes of a muslim country wanted to invade us, how many muslims here would fight against them? How many non muslim foreigners would stay here and fight with us instead of deciding to go back to their country of origin where its safer?
Times have changed A LOT, we are not as Great as some think and throwing our weight around with bigger war ships is not going to make us more friends.
Every country has a duty to help those in need, not just England. We are not the riches country in the world, so giving it the billy does not impress many today,
Helping others should be a JOINT thing.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:59 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 05 July 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

I am anti war, and do not see how building bigger guns is on the path to a peaceful world, but others will deny this as it seems the way to a peaceful world is kill them before them try and kill you

Not kill them necessarily, deterrence is preferred. And you do that with strength.

edit: which reminds me of a funny story I read once. Supposedly there was a high ranking tour of the SAC headquarters (Strategic Air Command, (1946-1992). Some joker altered the SAC motto on a wall plaque;

"Peace is our Profession"

(war is just a hobby).

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,278 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

View Postredhen, on 06 July 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

Not kill them necessarily, deterrence is preferred. And you do that with strength.

edit: which reminds me of a funny story I read once. Supposedly there was a high ranking tour of the SAC headquarters (Strategic Air Command, (1946-1992). Some joker altered the SAC motto on a wall plaque;

"Peace is our Profession"

(war is just a hobby).
I know, to a certain extent I am just kidding myself, I suppose. Too many enemies have been made throughout history, too much want of power, too much greed and far too much religious indoctrination has set the stance, but it does not make it right to arm yourself to the teeth to "enforce" peace in the world....its very very sad and something I can never agree with, although its here to stay now the presidence has been set......as my comment shows below, men of power do not believe peace is posible without making sure they have the arms to back them up first.
Power over others has never been something I desire, suppose thats what makes me different, but it certainly does not make me weak,  I just can not back up those who use the threat of weapons as a force of power, but thats mankind for you.
But we must never forget the forces of nature are far more powerful than man, we surely do not need warships to be sent to help others when nature shows its wrath?  Seems we still do. (Very sad )

#10    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,844 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

i think that's what it's for.
They used whisky because it was Scotland.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#11    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,844 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 July 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

But we must never forget the forces of nature are far more powerful than man, we surely do not need warships to be sent to help others when nature shows its wrath?  Seems we still do. (Very sad )
yes, because the Navy has the skills and the manpower and the equipment to be able to get assistance where it might be needed quickly, and to get things done quickly and professionally. Helicopters are very useful for disaster relief, not to mention the medical and communication facilities available on a warship.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,278 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostAdmiral Rhubarb, on 06 July 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

i think that's what it's for.
They used whisky because it was Scotland.
Yep, for sure, but still a waste of whisky, I do hope it was not Glenfiddich. :no:

#13    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Maybe if we didn't have lunatics like the Argentinian President constantly threatening our territories we wouldn't need to have built them.

Great Britain has a history of running down it's armed forces only to get caught out badly when some lunatic goes on a rampage.  Just look at WW2 for instance when the RAF faced a force almost 4 times it's size just to defend our home.  

The Falklands could have gone badly wrong too. When Illustrious set sail with the task force the Harriers had no ordinance.  Careful negotiations with the USA had to take place to get the Sidewinder missiles supplied for the fighters.

I am personally glad to see we are not being so complacent this time.

Posted Image

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,278 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostAdmiral Rhubarb, on 06 July 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

yes, because the Navy has the skills and the manpower and the equipment to be able to get assistance where it might be needed quickly, and to get things done quickly and professionally. Helicopters are very useful for disaster relief, not to mention the medical and communication facilities available on a warship.
Thats because they have made it that way, the RNLI do not use warships or armed helicopters  to save people.

#15    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,844 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 July 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Thats because they have made it that way, the RNLI do not use warships or armed helicopters  to save people.
The RNLI would be somewhat out of area in the Caribbean or Indian Ocean. Perhaps a kind of global International Rescue would be a nice idea, but in the absence of that, it's down to the expertise of navies (and the US Navy and most others do as well) to provide such help.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users