Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Pope calls exploitation of nature a sin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,727 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Reuters said:

(Reuters) - Pope Francis called for more respect for nature on Saturday, branding the destruction of South America's rain forests and other forms of environmental exploitation a sin of modern times.

In an address at the university of Molise, an agricultural and industrial region in southern Italy, Francis said the Earth should be allowed to give her fruits without being exploited.

"This is one of the greatest challenges of our time: to convert ourselves to a type of development that knows how to respect creation," he told students, struggling farmers, and laid-off workers in a university hall.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

"Francis, who took his name from Francis of Assisi, the 13th century saint seen as the patron of animals and the environment, is writing an encyclical on man's relationship with nature."

I have yet to read anything from him speaking about animal ethics. The only related announcement was his admonition for people to stop adopting cats and dogs and make human babies instead, the more the better.

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 06 July 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Hard to dispute that the stewardship of the earth should be undertaken wisley.

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Forgive me father for I have sinned. I dug a foundation for my house and a well. Please forgive me!

Edited by DieChecker, 06 July 2014 - 07:14 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

View Postredhen, on 06 July 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

The only related announcement was his admonition for people to stop adopting cats and dogs and make human babies instead, the more the better.

Interesting! Sounds like at least one Catholic practice is not changing... Make those babies people.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 06 July 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

Interesting! Sounds like at least one Catholic practice is not changing... Make those babies people.

Yup, no surprises there.

Edited by redhen, 06 July 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#7    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

Make those babies people.

Gotta keep the new recruits coming.

#8    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

Ha ha I thought it said "exploration" was a sin. I was about to post a WTF comment.

View PostOverSword, on 06 July 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

Hard to dispute that the stewardship of the earth should be undertaken wisley.

Not that hard, judging from the "Drill baby, drill!" crowd.

Edited by MysticStrummer, 08 July 2014 - 08:14 PM.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users