Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

China Thinks it can Defeat America

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Arkitecht

Arkitecht

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

• The trouble is you think you have time.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

So as im grazing on my raisin bran,i read the following and almost choked on my two scoops of raisin ritual.But before i give you the impression were sitting ducks,China does have at least one foot in reality...

http://m.theweek.com...erica-in-battle

Tempus Edax Rerum

#2    Arkitecht

Arkitecht

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

• The trouble is you think you have time.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Just a lil snippet from the article linked above...

For years, Chinese military planning assumed that any attack by the People's Liberation Army on Taiwan or a disputed island would have to begin with a Pearl Harbor-style preemptive missile strike by China against U.S. forces in Japan and Guam. The PLA was so afraid of overwhelming American intervention that it genuinely believed it could not win unless the Americans were removed from the battlefield before the main campaign even began.

A preemptive strike was, needless to say, a highly risky proposition. If it worked, the PLA just might secure enough space and time to defeat defending troops, seize territory, and position itself for a favorable post-war settlement.

Tempus Edax Rerum

#3    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,157 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

More of that peculiar combination of smugness about Overwhelming Military Might and paranoia that any country in the Axis of Evil you care to name might suddenly decide, out of sheer mad and evilness, to attack America, that's so characteristic of much of the mainstream American media there. Every country in the world has these strategic plans for whatever eventuality might arise, but naturally the Media, as excitebale as they always are, automatically sees it as proof that [in this case] China is plotting to attack America at the first opportunity it can get.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Of course they do.  So did the Soviets.

The problem with China, as the article points out, is that its economy is unsustainable and it will eventually crash under its own weight - the strains are already beginning to show.  They may end up consolidating some territory and power in their region, but I can't foresee anything more than another Cold War type situation when it comes to the US.

Besides, given what happened to the Chinese economy when the crash hit the US in 2008, they seem much more dependent upon good relations with us than we are with them.  If we're not paying back debt and buying $20 DVD players, things go very bad for them very quickly.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#5    Thelaw1

Thelaw1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Why why why do countries think they can do a sneak attack on us and think they can get away with it? Man.. our navy and air force is so incredibly powerful we would bring them to their knees relatively quickly. I hope we never have to do that though.

When the second most powerful country on earth begins to think it can overtake the most powerful country on earth, inevitably, war ensues. It has happened over the course of human existence.

#6    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostThelaw1, on 07 July 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Why why why do countries think they can do a sneak attack on us and think they can get away with it? Man.. our navy and air force is so incredibly powerful we would bring them to their knees relatively quickly. I hope we never have to do that though.

When the second most powerful country on earth begins to think it can overtake the most powerful country on earth, inevitably, war ensues. It has happened over the course of human existence.
you haven't being paying attention over the past few months? your air force is shrinking, its not about how big our military is, its about how to deal with economic implications

#7    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Well with our present "Commander" in Chief, Any military threat from anyone scares the **** out of me.

#8    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,689 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

meh Im not worried.

We have a history of when needed bulking up the military pretty fast and then beating the crap out of whoever

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#9    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,619 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 07 July 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

meh Im not worried.

We have a history of when needed bulking up the military pretty fast and then beating the crap out of whoever
lol, we had hard time dealing with insergents, that are half in stone age, i do not doubt china's army is a lot more capable.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#10    Thelaw1

Thelaw1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

View Postaztek, on 07 July 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

lol, we had hard time dealing with insergents, that are half in stone age, i do not doubt china's army is a lot more capable.

lol we defeated Saddam's army in a matter of hours the first Gulf War. This time was a bit different because Iraq was just a shell of its former self and we just kicked it in on itself. True, we had to fight insurgents but only because we stayed behind.

I doubt we would even try to attempt to land one marine on China's mainland. Just bomb them until they beg for relief.

Edited by Thelaw1, 07 July 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#11    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,619 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostThelaw1, on 07 July 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

lol we defeated Saddam's army in a matter of hours the first Gulf War. This time was a bit different because Iraq was just a shell of its former self and we just kicked it in on itself. True, we had to fight insurgents but only because we stayed behind.

I doubt we would even try to attempt to land one marine on China's mainland. Just bomb them until they beg for relief.

we bombed iraqi retreating convoy of vehicles, they never attempted to shoot back, their army did not even fight for the most part, they ran away leaving everything. you can not use that as a argument to us strenght. we never met any resistance from iraq army,. we do however from insergents and they still fighting after all bombing and drones.

and no you we can't bomb china as we did with pak, and a stan and iraq, china will shot back, and i'm not too sure many bombs will be deliverd there, and i'm sure some of their bombs will get here, if they want to. not to mention they are nuclear power

Edited by aztek, 07 July 2014 - 04:27 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#12    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,099 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

China does have the largest standing army ever recorded (to the best of my knowledge). What that means in this new world of button-pressing warfare is anyone's guess but it is a major factor that must be considered. However, Rafter nailed it: they depend on the West having a strong economy. If we fail, they fail.

Also, in regards to our effectiveness (or lack thereof?) in the Mid-East, guerilla warfare is infinitely more difficult to suppress as it does not follow conventional strategies and is by nature very sporadic and unpredictable. Our boys are out there in uniform, following formation, etc. The "insurgents" are wearing plainclothes and walking through crowds on busy streets..

Edit to add--

Here's a quick side-by-side comparison of American vs. Chinese military might. Globalfirepower.com (lol) is a fun, quick way to see who's got what (updated for 2014 stats!)

http://www.globalfir...mpare Countries

Edited by Dark_Grey, 07 July 2014 - 04:26 PM.

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#13    Thelaw1

Thelaw1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

View Postaztek, on 07 July 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

we bombed iraqi retreating convoy of vehicles, they never attempted to shoot back, their army did not even fight for the most part, they ran away leaving everything. you can not use that as a argument to us strenght. we never met any resistance from iraq army,. we do however from insergents and they still fighting after all bombing and drones.

and no you we can't bomb china as we did with pak, and a stan and iraq, china will shot back, and i'm not too sure many bobs will be deliverd there, and i'm sure some of their bombs will get here, if they want to. not to mention they are nuclear power

The first objective of any war with China would be to destroy their navy, air force, and any locations where they can shoot rockets. After that, its the equivalent of a boxer who has a 2 foot reach on his opponent.

#14    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,225 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Lets hope we never find out.

However, economically, they could kick our proverbial behinds.

#15    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,169 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

The last time America came up against China, it was ,and still is a stalemate, does the 38th parallel ring any bells..Nth Korea and Chinese ,versus Sth Korea and America/U.K/Australia and a few more.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users