Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

float mocking Obama draws accusations of...

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#1    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,012 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

A Fourth of July parade float in Nebraska that showed a dummy standing outside an outhouse labeled "Obama Presidential Library" is drawing cries of racism from local residents and the Nebraska Democratic Party.
The float, in the annual Independence Day parade in Norfolk, Neb., was affixed to trailer being towed behind a blue pickup truck. The dummy was clad in overalls, standing by a walker next to the outhouse.
The pickup truck and the float did not identify a sponsor, according to the Omaha World-Herald.
In a statement, the Nebraska Democratic Party called the float one of the "worst shows of racism and disrespect for the presidency that Nebraska has ever seen," according to the World-Herald.

cont...

http://www.cbsnews.c...ions-of-racism/

I remember effigies of Bush hanging from trees, him being depicted as a monkey and too many disparaging cartoons and hateful remarks to count. That aside...I've read the comments under the articles of various sources and not one has given an explaination as to how an outhouse is racist. I still don't get it.

#2    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

It's not the outhouse that's racist. The disparagement and attempts to degrade & humiliate another person is unacceptable no matter the race, skin color, political affiliation, age, gender, or sexual orientation.

Edited by Beany, 08 July 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#3    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,012 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Politicians are fair game and always have been. It has nothing to do with him being black, it's because he is the president. It seems like people have very short memories as to how much Bush was harassed and ridiculed. Not that he didn't deserve a lot of it, but I didn't hear a great deal of people standing up for the respect of the presidential office.

#4    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,125 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostBeany, on 08 July 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

It's not the outhouse that's racist. The disparagement and attempts to degrade & humiliate another person is unacceptable no matter the race, skin color, political affiliation, age, gender, or sexual orientation.
Surely if anyone deserves it it's someone in his position. He wasn't coerced into running for President, he didn't draw the short straw in a lottery. He wanted to be President - the most powerful person on earth, or at least that's what he probably thought - out of sheer naked ambition. He wanted power, to rule people. Surely that invites disrespect, and disrespect is entirely healthy. The reaction of the Nebraska Democratic Party is rather like the reaction of the N. Korean government whenever someone in the West disrespects the Dear Leader.  Anyway, I thought it was quite witty.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#5    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,400 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

How is the float at all relevant to Pres. Obama?

For the life of me I don't see what connection the float designers made between an outhouse, a person with a zimmer frame and President Obama?

Or is there no connection at all and the entire float simply meant to suggest scorn/be insulting?

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#6    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,012 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

My take on it is that he is a weak president and full of **it.

Yes, it's meant to be insulting just like the monkey face Bush images.

Edited by Michelle, 08 July 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#7    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,400 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostMichelle, on 08 July 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

My take on it is that he is a weak president and full of **it.

Okay, there's a tenuous link there - but why the "Presidential Library" part? Are they suggesting Obama only reads when taking a dump?

I don't think the accusation of racism has any merit - but I don't see any wit involved in the design. It's not funny-insulting, just insulting.

Edited by Leonardo, 08 July 2014 - 01:54 PM.

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

#8    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,012 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'm not sure either. I rarely find political cartoons and the like very funny.

#9    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

I was talking to a couple of Americans that are up here at camp for the summer and their comments where not very pretty,The penny has finally dropped I think.

Obama is fair game and his track record has left him wide open I am not afraid to say...

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#10    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

As mentioned in the  article, "it's obvious that the majority of the community liked it, so should we deny the 95% of those that liked it their rights, just for the 5% of people who were upset?"
That's the point to me. To often in our society the few dictate to the many. With PC and the stigma of being labeled a racist (whether it's true or not doesn't even play into it any more) we are subjected to a barrage of morally offensive opinions and actions by the minority fringe of our society.
No longer does the needs of the many out weight the needs of the few.

#11    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,400 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 08 July 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

As mentioned in the  article, "it's obvious that the majority of the community liked it, so should we deny the 95% of those that liked it their rights, just for the 5% of people who were upset?"
That's the point to me. To often in our society the few dictate to the many. With PC and the stigma of being labeled a racist (whether it's true or not doesn't even play into it any more) we are subjected to a barrage of morally offensive opinions and actions by the minority fringe of our society.
No longer does the needs of the many out weight the needs of the few.

America has never been a nation committed to the "needs of the many", as it's founding documents indicate. The US is (or was) founded on a system of equality that protects minorities from the "many", rather than allowing the "many " to rule with impunity.

But this side-argument has little relevance to the float itself as, unless there is some cultural reference I am missing, it doesn't seem to exhibit any indicators of racism.

Edited by Leonardo, 08 July 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#12    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 08 July 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

. The US is (or was) founded on a system of equality that protects minorities from the "many", rather than allowing the "many " to rule with impunity.

than why do we vote? voting a desision of many over few, isn't it???

and yes if 95% like it, and 5% do not, things are gonna happen the way 95% want it to  happen. assuming all 100% are of equal value and social position

Edited by aztek, 08 July 2014 - 02:30 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostBeany, on 08 July 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Except that it's called Free Speech.

In an interview I read saw with the float's creator this morning he said that the figure represents him and it's a political commentary on the state of the VA under this administration.

If folks can't handle their leaders being criticized, then perhaps they should move to someplace like North Korea.

Edited by Rafterman, 08 July 2014 - 02:31 PM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#14    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,400 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

View Postaztek, on 08 July 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

than why do we vote? voting a desision of many over few, isn't it???

Why do you vote?

You vote to elect a govt who will uphold the laws of the Constitution, which state most unequivocally that the many shall not impugn the rights of the minority.

Not to effect a "rule of the majority".

#15    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 08 July 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Why do you vote?

You vote to elect a govt who will uphold the laws of the Constitution, which state most unequivocally that the many shall not impugn the rights of the minority.

Not to effect a "rule of the majority".
that is absolutely NOT what i was talking about.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users