Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Those with a fear of spiders should look away now.

Ancient arachnids which roamed the Earth 300 million years ago have been brought by back to life in shriek-inducing 3D detail through computer graphics.

http://www.telegraph...scientists.html

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• willowdreams

• Still Waters

• Taun

• bubblykiss

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Words like "sphincter quivering inducing terror" pop into mind at the title.

But it was not nearly as horrific as I thought it would be.

you know.. many pple are allergic to spiders, bees.. et et et.. you know.

I wonder though, way back then (long as we are not talking bout the young earthers!!), humans did not exist, were not even thought of as maybe existing. SO i wonder if somehow we were able to through science to bring back one of these critters back to life today.. be it a bee, scorpian or spider.

I wonder if their venom would be poison for US? Would its composition be different? I mean the critters may look ugly and almost like death warmed over, but does that mean it would be deadly to us venom wise?

i really should not post within an hour or two of waking, as i find myself wondering things like this

you know.. many pple are allergic to spiders, bees.. et et et.. you know.

I wonder though, way back then (long as we are not talking bout the young earthers!!), humans did not exist, were not even thought of as maybe existing. SO i wonder if somehow we were able to through science to bring back one of these critters back to life today.. be it a bee, scorpian or spider.

I wonder if their venom would be poison for US? Would its composition be different? I mean the critters may look ugly and almost like death warmed over, but does that mean it would be deadly to us venom wise?

i really should not post within an hour or two of waking, as i find myself wondering things like this

Most likely it would be... Most spider venom (these days at least) works as either a neuro-toxin or as a necrotic - that is it basically kills the flesh around the bite... either one would affect any species that

has not developed a resistance to the venom -rather like a clown fish being "immune" to the stings of anemones (sorry I can't spell)... There is no reason to think that pre-historic spiders used any other

types of venom than these two...

Most likely it would be... Most spider venom (these days at least) works as either a neuro-toxin or as a necrotic - that is it basically kills the flesh around the bite... either one would affect any species that

has not developed a resistance to the venom -rather like a clown fish being "immune" to the stings of anemones (sorry I can't spell)... There is no reason to think that pre-historic spiders used any other

types of venom than these two...

Then that brings on another 'wondering thought', the venom would be different from todays, even if slightly, so if we use todays venom to make things medically better for pple (i remember seeing a show on this, but cannot remember many details), i wonder what medical advances venom from way back when could help us on. I just watched Jurassic park, the one with the man hwo also played the major role in 'the fly', anyways, if we could somehow get the dna.. and create many wonderful things...

ok off my wondering mood and going to find food and coffee!! that will bring my head out of the clouds.

Bugs use to be very big.http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=+CGI+ANCIENT+SPIDERS&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=cgi+ancient+spiders&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=8551C6C4007B0D9D28678551C6C4007B0D9D2867

I see some traits that probably lead to the acarina family. But that just might be my mind filling the blanks. I'd really enjoy knowing what coloration it had.

A touch of research states that they likely did not inject venom (lacking the gland opening in well-preserved fossils) * see citation at end of post* but they may have digested the food from the outside, by regurgitating acids on to the captured prey. Very interesting!

Citation: wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonotarbida#Prosoma

Likely related more to the 'tickspiders'.

Amazing what they can do with Lego!