Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What Would The Founding Fathers Say

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#1    Duelix

Duelix

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

If there was some magical way to transport the founding fathers to modern America, what would they say about the current society? Do you think they might possibly regret putting in the right to bear arms in the constitution or that they might think differently about freedom of speech after listening to talk radio for an hour? What are your thoughts?

#2    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

I think Thomas Jefferson and Benjamen Franklin would be quite disappointed.

Not for the things you say...but for the exact opposite...the overreach of GOV to remove those rights.  I think all of them roll over in their grave quite often.

NDAA
Hr-347
"Patriot" Act (pretty sure they would all say "No true Patriot wrote that!")
Politically correct speech
Our collapsing education system
Our collapsing infrastructure
Corporations as people...

That's what I think...but no, they would more than likely be against any infringement on freedoms...especially the things they held valuable coming out of the Revolution and the war of 1812

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,011 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostDuelix, on 09 July 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

If there was some magical way to transport the founding fathers to modern America, what would they say about the current society? Do you think they might possibly regret putting in the right to bear arms in the constitution or that they might think differently about freedom of speech after listening to talk radio for an hour? What are your thoughts?

I bet they would have put more than an incomplete sentence as the 2nd amendment. We will never know what they actually meant... our current "meaning" was written by the SC.

But I doubt that that would be their hardest item to turn them green. The extensive abuse of the 4th amendment by organizations that seem to escape the control of elected representatives would most probably be much higher on their agenda.

Edited by questionmark, 09 July 2014 - 10:42 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,179 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

I honestly think they'd be more disappointed by the fact we managed in the space of a single lifetime to go from unable to fly at all to "landing on the moon" and then stopped because "it wasn't economically viable".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#5    Duelix

Duelix

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 09 July 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

I think Thomas Jefferson and Benjamen Franklin would be quite disappointed.

Not for the things you say...but for the exact opposite...the overreach of GOV to remove those rights.  I think all of them roll over in their grave quite often.

NDAA
Hr-347
"Patriot" Act (pretty sure they would all say "No true Patriot wrote that!")
Politically correct speech
Our collapsing education system
Our collapsing infrastructure
Corporations as people...

That's what I think...but no, they would more than likely be against any infringement on freedoms...especially the things they held valuable coming out of the Revolution and the war of 1812
I will agree with you on the patriot act and corporations as people.

#6    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 1,487 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

1st joke; so you guys solved that slavery problem?
2nd joke; you can cure disease and injury and heal impossible wounds but you have priced it out of the reach of the plebs? Excellent.
3rd joke; we fought how many wars WITH the British?!?
4th joke; oh I see that Hanna Montana still has a career, strange.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

#7    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will be peace.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 09 July 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

I honestly think they'd be more disappointed by the fact we managed in the space of a single lifetime to go from unable to fly at all to "landing on the moon" and then stopped because "it wasn't economically viable".

It isn't, it's just a waste. Mars I could see, but not the moon. It's be like some government company reapeatedly going to the desert just to look around.

My take anyways.

Love your brother as yourself, because you know what? He IS yourself, literally.- Bill Hicks

Dream argument

#8    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,257 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

They would look for the nearest musket and shoot who ever brought them to our time.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#9    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,545 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

I don't think they would regret putting in the right to bear arms.  I do think they would have spent a lot more time clarifying it's exact purpose and spirit, considering how the current specified purpose is all but ignored.  I don't think they would have too much of a problem with talk radio, with the exception of how basic manners have changed over the years.  They would definitely be shocked at seeing a black president.

I don't think any of them would be surprised at the extent of the federal governments power.  That was, after all, an inevitable consequence of the government they created after the original U.S. government failed and they pretty much pulled off a coup d'etat.  The only difference is that the constitution was created with the purpose of defining and controlling the expansion, a purpose which has served quite well.

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,954 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

I would imagine they would be shocked by the rise of Federal power and the diminishing of State authority, how much we project power around the world, and the tremendous increase in the power of the Executive Branch.

As far as technology goes, I would imagine that Jefferson and Franklin at least would be like a couple of geek boys at a tech show.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#11    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,179 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

I think they'd be more surprised that a CATHOLIC was President, rather then a Black Man.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#12    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,748 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

I think the only problem they'd have with the second amendment is that they made it a right to bear and not an absolute mandate. JK, sort of, maybe, not really...

Posted Image

#13    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,385 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:06 AM

The founding fathers are all dead. What matters is what our current leaders, politicians, and citizens think about it. No can speak for the dead.

Edited by Beany, 10 July 2014 - 03:06 AM.

#14    toyomotor

toyomotor

Grumpy Old Coot

• 1,421 posts

• The careful application of terror is also a form of communication.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

If there was some magical way to transport the founding fathers to modern America, what would they say about the current society?

****, look what we've done!

There is absolutely no proof at all that human beings actually communicate.

#15    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,050 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:06 AM

I don't think they would regret anything they put in the Bill of Rights.  They were extremists, cleaved to the ideals of freedom.  

They would probably be disappointed, but not surprised at the current outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users