Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

the ten commandments

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,826 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

The ten commandments are not christian rules.  First there are three religions that they influence.  Second the christian rules are numbered at two.  Love god with your might and soul.  Love the neighbor as the self.v

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    JJ50

JJ50

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

View Postdanielost, on 11 July 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

The ten commandments are not christian rules.  First there are three religions that they influence.  Second the christian rules are numbered at two.  Love god with your might and soul.  Love the neighbor as the self.v

How can you possibly love such an evil deity?

“The wise recognise their failings and laugh at their idiosyncrasies” RJG

#3    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,064 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

The ten original commandments did not originate on this world,  and are a recipe for starting many worlds before and after this one.

JJ50, what has God done to you personally to make you hate him so?

Edited by Omnaka, 11 July 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#4    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostOmnaka, on 11 July 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

JJ50, what has God done to you personally to make you hate him so?

What has Lord Voldemort  done to you personally to make you hate him so? Oh, What's that? Voldemort is a fictitious character from a book, so why would you hate him, you say.

We all know Voldemort is evil but that doesn't mean we hate him. In fact hating him would be stupid because he's not real. One doesn't have to have a personal injury from a character in a book to call them evil.

When you read the bible it becomes very clear that god is not a nice being.

Edited by Odin11, 11 July 2014 - 06:57 PM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#5    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,064 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostOdin11, on 11 July 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

What has Lord Voldemort  done to you personally to make you hate him so? Oh, What's that? Voldemort is a fictitious character from a book, so why would you hate him, you say.

We all know Voldemort is evil but that doesn't mean we hate him. In fact hating him would be stupid because he's not real. One doesn't have to have a personal injury from a character in a book to call them evil.
Your spirit is very real. When I speak of the love of Father and Mother, (God) is spoken from experience, not a story book as in Voltimore or any book. Had I not experienced what I have,  I probably would never post in this section.

Something I've always wondered,  people who don't believe,  and post in spiritual forums,  is kind of ironic.
P.S. if we did not have some rules to kick start this world (recipe), I believe it would have ended, sooner than later.

Edited by Omnaka, 11 July 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#6    SaraT

SaraT

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

• Just consider me Sherlock Holmes on Marmite.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

As I understand the Ten Commandments, these were given to the Jews.  Through Moses of course.  The Commandments which relate to gentiles (which are the rest of us believers in God, but these commandments still apply to Jews as well) are the Seven Laws of Noah.  These are explained here:

http://www.simpletor...n-laws-of-noah/

I think it's crucial to bear these commandments in mind, as well as to live by them, because I think they are the key to unifying religions whilst still respecting their diversity.

#7    XenoFish

XenoFish

Back from the dead

• 6,263 posts

• Someone should stab you in eye with a really hot french fry.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

*Image removed due to copyright*

I'm a Voldemort now....Voldemort's are cool.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lordyour God is giving you.

13 “You shall not murder.

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

15 “You shall not steal.

16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

These are about the only commandments that I could care about. Then again "do unto others" kind of takes care of this.

We're all living in a world filled with moderately stupid people.

#8    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,064 posts

O.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

Just one,  love your neighbor as a brother,  and it would negate the rest.

#9    docyabut2

docyabut2

Alien Abducter

• 5,395 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

View Postdanielost, on 11 July 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

maybe not but all religions agree its a code of behavior to live by.Do not kill, steal, cheat or lie

Edited by docyabut2, 12 July 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#10    TheMustardLady

TheMustardLady

♫♪♀♀♀♫♪

• 6,102 posts

• The temp poster of Stubbly_Dooright who wants to solve everything with mustard! :D

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:50 AM

View PostXenoFish, on 11 July 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

I'm a Voldemort now....Voldemort's are cool.

Never deprive Matt Smith of his morning coffee!!!
....or tea.

Which ever, what is the point of the thread? Where do Atheists figure in this?

Posted Image  Greetings and Salutations!!!
Don't walk in front of me; I was not born to follow. Don't walk behind me; We were all born to lead. Don't walk without me; I might need you tomorrow. Walk right beside me, Be the real friend I need.  (Celtic Woman)

#11    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

View PostJJ50, on 11 July 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

How can you possibly love such an evil deity?
In my reading of the text, God is not evil, so the question is irrelevant (at least to me).

Edited by Paranoid Android, 12 July 2014 - 01:05 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#12    Jeanne dArc

Jeanne dArc

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostOmnaka, on 11 July 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

Your spirit is very real.

Which I should believe because.......? :rolleyes:

When I speak of the love of Father and Mother, (God) is spoken from experience, not a story book as in Voltimore or any book. Had I not experienced what I have,  I probably would never post in this section.

And you have experienced... what?

Something I've always wondered,  people who don't believe,  and post in spiritual forums,  is kind of ironic.
P.S. if we did not have some rules to kick start this world (recipe), I believe it would have ended, sooner than later.

It's not ironic at all: this is where spiritual people talk, ergo it's where non-spiritual people must follow in order to try and talk some sense into them ^_^ That's more blunt than I usually care to be, but whatever.

View PostParanoid Android, on 12 July 2014 - 01:05 AM, said:

In my reading of the text, God is not evil

Which is.... disturbing :mellow:

#13    Jeanne dArc

Jeanne dArc

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

Also, everyone remembers that the first ten commandments were destroyed, right? I mean, there was supposed to be a duplicate set made, but then when Moses went to do that, apparently he and YHWH decided to come up with new ones.

Exodus 34:1-28 [CEV] said:

One day the Lord said to Moses, “Cut two flat stones like the first ones I made, and I will write on them the same commandments that were on the two you broke.  2 Be ready tomorrow morning to come up Mount Sinai and meet me at the top.  3 No one is to come with you or to be on the mountain at all. Don’t even let the sheep and cattle graze at the foot of the mountain.”  4 So Moses cut two flat stones like the first ones, and early the next morning he carried them to the top of Mount Sinai, just as the Lord had commanded.
5 The Lord God came down in a cloud and stood beside Moses there on the mountain. God spoke his holy name, “the Lord.”  6 Then he passed in front of Moses and called out, “I am the Lord God. I am merciful and very patient with my people. I show great love, and I can be trusted.  7 I keep my promises to my people forever, but I also punish anyone who sins. When people sin, I punish them and their children, and also their grandchildren and great-grandchildren.”
8 Moses quickly bowed down to the ground and worshiped the Lord.  9 He prayed, “Lord, if you really are pleased with me, I pray that you will go with us. It is true that these people are sinful and rebellious, but forgive our sin and let us be your people.”
10 The Lord said:

I promise to perform miracles for you that have never been seen anywhere on earth. Neighboring nations will stand in fear and know that I was the one who did these marvelous things.  11 I will force out the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, but you must do what I command you today.  12 Don’t make treaties with any of those people. If you do, it will be like falling into a trap.  13 Instead, you must destroy their altars and tear down the sacred poles they use in the worship of the goddess Asherah.  14 I demand your complete loyalty—you must not worship any other god!  15 Don’t make treaties with the people there, or you will soon find yourselves worshiping their gods and taking part in their sacrificial meals.  16 Your men will even marry their women and be influenced to worship their gods.
17 Don’t make metal images of gods.
18 Don’t fail to observe the Festival of Thin Bread in the month of Abib. Obey me and eat bread without yeast for seven days during Abib, because that is the month you left Egypt.
19 The first-born males of your families and of your flocks and herds belong to me.
20 You can save the life of a first-born donkey by sacrificing a lamb; if you don’t, you must break the donkey’s neck. You must save every first-born son.
Bring an offering every time you come to worship.
21 Do your work in six days and rest on the seventh day, even during the seasons for plowing and harvesting.  22 Celebrate the Harvest Festival each spring when you start harvesting your wheat, and celebrate the Festival of Shelters each autumn when you pick your fruit.
23 Your men must come to worship me three times a year, because I am the Lord God of Israel.  24 I will force the nations out of your land and enlarge your borders. Then no one will try to take your property when you come to worship me these three times each year.
25 When you sacrifice an animal on the altar, don’t offer bread made with yeast. And don’t save any part of the Passover meal for the next day.
26 I am the Lord your God, and you must bring the first part of your harvest to the place of worship.
Don’t boil a young goat in its mother’s milk.
27 The Lord told Moses to put these laws in writing, as part of his agreement with Israel.  28 Moses stayed on the mountain with the Lord for forty days and nights, without eating or drinking. And he wrote down the Ten Commandments, the most important part of God’s agreement with his people.
https://www.biblegat... 34&version=CEV

My favorite part has to be: "Don’t boil a young goat in its mother’s milk." :P Because it's totally okay to boil some poor kid in its sister's milk.

Edited by Jeanne dArc, 12 July 2014 - 02:20 AM.

#14    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:38 AM

Jesus these threads get old.

God, as he is known in the Judaic old testament is the supreme power in existence, he created all things, as such, if this is the theology we're following, he isn't evil, he isn't good, he jus is and is singular in his power so that understanding him as humanity that lives within the universe he created would be literally impossible.

I swear this "GOD IS EVIL" thing is so overplayed, I miss atheists and Christians just screaming at each other over his existence.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#15    quiXilver

quiXilver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

Unknowingly, we plow the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind and drink the universe in a glass of rain. ~ Ihab Hassan
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~R. Buckminster Fuller
Just because you thought it, or felt it deeply, doesn't make it real, true or important.  Don't believe everything you think... ~ Creighton Larson
Everything you Love and Everything you Hate, come from the Same Source:  ~Creighton Larson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users