Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Sleeping with lights on doesn't scare ghosts

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

New York. A research paper published in the reputed “Ghost World” magazine has shattered the common misconception among human beings that sleeping with lights on after watching a horror movie stops ghosts, especially those starring in the movie, from attacking them.
Albert Pinto, the paranormal scientist who has written this research paper, reached to the shocking conclusion after observing around 30 ghosts from different parts of the world.

http://www.fakingnew...-away-research/

Spoiler

Edited by Brian Topp, 13 July 2014 - 08:54 PM.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#2    jamesjr191

jamesjr191

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

• S*** happens, again and again.

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

This is one point of contention i have with 'going dark' for the ghost shows. Ghost are so powerless a light bulb stops them? Ghost cant verbalize unless it dark? WTF, i'm suppossed to believe spirits from another dimension are rendered powerless by a flashlight? :w00t:

If aware that another is wicked, say so:
Make no truce or treaty with foes. Hamaval 127

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,792 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

Albert Pinto, the paranormal scientist

WHO?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,624 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

I'm pretty sure leaving the lights on has more to do with us wanting to see into dark corners of the room because every creak of the floorboard is freaking us out compliments of the scary movie.  For myself, I always have a lamp on - not for fear but because if I wake up in darkness I can't see where I'm putting my feet if I get out of bed and my eyes do not adjust easily or readily enough to improve the situation any time soon, add to that the fact I am clumsy as all heck and midnight bathroom treks can be either very entertaining or very bruising depending on your perspective.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#5    DefenceMinisterMishkin

DefenceMinisterMishkin

100% Semper Fidelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

• It's what your right hand's for!

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

I leave the hall light on too.. :unsure2:

Posted Image

#6    nigella

nigella

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

I have lived with Ghosts several times in my life. There are many ways to deal with them depending on the energy. One common mistake is smudging. Don't smudge! It might just p*** them off!

#7    DefenceMinisterMishkin

DefenceMinisterMishkin

100% Semper Fidelis

• 2,061 posts

• It's what your right hand's for!

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

Smudge? :huh:

Posted Image

#8    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,634 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 13 July 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

Albert Pinto, the paranormal scientist

WHO?

Perhaps related to 'Mr. Bean?' (I know--cheap shot).

Edited by DeWitz, 13 July 2014 - 11:07 PM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#9    shadowofadoubt

shadowofadoubt

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

I sure do love "Ghost facts". Forget that there is no solid evidence for their existence, WE KNOW that they're unaffected by light! :rofl:

#10    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

Well of course lights don't scare ghosts, that's ridiculous.
The light is to comfort the human. It's less scary waking up to a noise and having a light on and able to see, versus having the light off and not being able to see.

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson

#11    JVG

JVG

Psychic Spy

• 1,507 posts

• Live and learn.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 13 July 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure leaving the lights on has more to do with us wanting to see into dark corners of the room because every creak of the floorboard is freaking us out compliments of the scary movie.  For myself, I always have a lamp on - not for fear but because if I wake up in darkness I can't see where I'm putting my feet if I get out of bed and my eyes do not adjust easily or readily enough to improve the situation any time soon, add to that the fact I am clumsy as all heck and midnight bathroom treks can be either very entertaining or very bruising depending on your perspective.

I agree with you totally, I need my bedroom dark but when I need a midnight trek I have night lights on in the hall and bathroom. I have broken many a toe stumbling in the dark and that really hurts. I do believe in some sort of aura after death but I don't think they are here to harm us or scare the life out of us...

#12    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:02 AM

The best way to scare them off is to have a video camera running all the time. All the ghost stuff they do will immediately stop.

They're scared they'll be exposed on a lousy cable television show.

#13    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,372 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:24 AM

There's also the belief that Ghosts cannot pass over running water, and is warded off by Salt.

LOL!

Posted Image
"I am Caesar and no king" - Gaius Julius Caesar
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Gospels=Myth Making"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"

#14    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,914 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

I think this helps the person but the ghost will still come light on or not lol.

#15    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• 1,436 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

View Postjamesjr191, on 13 July 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

This is one point of contention i have with 'going dark' for the ghost shows. Ghost are so powerless a light bulb stops them? Ghost cant verbalize unless it dark? WTF, i'm suppossed to believe spirits from another dimension are rendered powerless by a flashlight? :w00t:

I've often wondered that myself plus they always ghost hunt in the middle of the night,surely if a place is haunted by a ghost it would be just as active in the day if not more so.Unless when they were alive they never slept and instead walked about all night,opening doors.

I don't suppose the glut of ghost hunting programmes would be as interesting in daylight without the close up night vision shots of peoples faces asking "did you hear that?"

Edited by dr no, 14 July 2014 - 10:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users