Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Finding Life Beyond Earth is Within Reach

exoplanets life hubble spitzer kepler tess james webb space telescope wfirst-afta nasa

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31    Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

• "An open mind is like an open door, unless you're careful anything might get in." Sir Wearer of Hats

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 21 July 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

If alien life is bacterial then NASA might need to invent an enormous space microscope.

Space microscopes allready exist - they are called telescopes. :tu:

"People will generally accept fact as truth only if the fact agree with what they already believe"
Andy Rooney

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
Albert Einstein

#32    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,130 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Speaking of Seti, can you imagine 20 civilizations listening for each other and never understanding that they were actually trying to convert I love Lucy broadcasted on Earth into sensible sounds?

That is most probably near to what is happening.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#33    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,355 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 27 July 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

Speaking of Seti, can you imagine 20 civilizations listening for each other and never understanding that they were actually trying to convert I love Lucy broadcasted on Earth into sensible sounds?
You wouldn't need to be able to make sense of the signals to know (or at least suspect) that they were artificial in origin. In terms of radio waves Earth is now the brightest object for a hundred light years in all directions. Ant civilisation capable of observing the Earth and radio frequencies should be able to determine they are coming from a planet not a star. This should be a big clue that they are of an artificial origin without any need to translate the signals.

View Postquestionmark, on 27 July 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

That is most probably near to what is happening.
Only if these listening to the signals are particularly thick, and I some how doubt that all astronomers in the universe are particularly thick.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#34    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,889 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

We need one of these.Posted Image

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#35    Rei4ever

Rei4ever

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• Live Fearing... or Die Trying...

I don't care!!! - Lockdown TF4

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

If they find Alien , They will hide it to the public!!!

#36    Atuke

Atuke

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

• N 41' 26' 24.74"
    W 123' 42' 05.34"

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

If they were worth a damn they would've found "us" already. I subscribe to the rare Earth theory, and distances to great to find one another in the universe, and intelligence never achieving the ability to do so.
It will never happen. The so called geniuses should focus on our own planet and ways to save it before it's seemingly inevitable destruction by man.

#37    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,355 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

View Postbobb73, on 11 August 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

The so called geniuses should focus on our own planet and ways to save it before it's seemingly inevitable destruction by man.
You don't need to be a genius to see the illogic of that statement. Astronomers are the right people to sort out Earth's problems in the same way that car mechanics are the right people to do open heart surgery.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#38    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

How many more years of funding does NASA expect from us taxpayers...I don't think they're planning on finding anything, more than likely they already have the answers to this, and they certainly aren't going to make it available to the public...cause if they do, the gravy train of worthless dollars will stop flowing in.... :yes:

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#39    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,906 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostNiteMarcher, on 22 November 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

How many more years of funding does NASA expect from us taxpayers...I don't think they're planning on finding anything, more than likely they already have the answers to this, and they certainly aren't going to make it available to the public...cause if they do, the gravy train of worthless dollars will stop flowing in.... :yes:

Your train of thought is so brutally illogical it hurts my head.  I am not going to explain to you why as it is pointless.

There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

#40    LV-426

LV-426

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• All generalizations are false, including this one.

Mark Twain

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

View Post95-Nasty, on 17 July 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

They have all ready found it! I remember something a few years ago about 'Red Rain' (any one else remember?). Basically it rained red rain over some city or town somewhere, the rain was analysed and it was discovered the redness was due to an unknown bacteria which originated from a meteorite, there for 'Alien Life'!

Red rain in Kerala is probably what you're referring to.

The initial report that the red rain was likely caused by an exploding meteor was retracted, and the official report stated that it was most likely caused by airborne spores from local algae, although some parts of the report were inconclusive.

Edited by LV-426, 22 November 2014 - 11:26 PM.

#41    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,530 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:14 AM

I suspect that if NASA found extraterrestrial life in any form, that would tell all about it as soon as it was confirmed; maybe even before that, as a possible discovery. They would then very probably receive a ton of money to further investigate the life they'd found, or may have found.

#42    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,969 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

NASA spin-off technologies are commercial products and services which have been developed with the help of NASA, through research and development contracts (such as SBIR or STTR awards), licensing of NASA patents, use of NASA facilities, technical assistance from NASA personnel, or data from NASA research. Information on new NASA technology that may be useful to industry is available in periodical and website form in "NASA Tech Briefs", while successful examples of commercialization are reported annually in the NASA publication "Spinoffs".

http://en.wikipedia....ff_technologies

Have a look at the list of 'spin-off' technologies from NASA and then add to that the scientific understanding of our universe that NASA has pioneered on more than one occasion and then tell me again how NASA's budget is a "gravy train of worthless dollars".

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#43    Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Psychic Spy

• 1,676 posts

• "An open mind is like an open door, unless you're careful anything might get in." Sir Wearer of Hats

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

Try to look up information on NASA and you will find that they do a lot of work, for the relatively small budget. In 2012 NASA's budget was 0,48 % of the total US federal budget.

As a non American I can't really speak of NASA as a drain on my tax bill. But I am a tax payer in one of ESA's member states and I can say that I am very happy to be funding them. :tu:

"People will generally accept fact as truth only if the fact agree with what they already believe"
Andy Rooney

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
Albert Einstein

#44    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:08 PM

View PostMerc14, on 22 November 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Your train of thought is so brutally illogical it hurts my head.  I am not going to explain to you why as it is pointless.

View PostMerc14, on 22 November 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Money is not "illogical" - Those same old corporations will continue to benefit from the taxpayers. The main players haven't changed at all. We can't even solve the problems on earth that exist today and yet we continue to dump money into a program exploring outer space which has been going on since the mid 1950s. That's illogical...

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and

#45    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostNoteverythingisaconspiracy, on 23 November 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

Try to look up information on NASA and you will find that they do a lot of work, for the relatively small budget. In 2012 NASA's budget was 0,48 % of the total US federal budget.

As a non American I can't really speak of NASA as a drain on my tax bill. But I am a tax payer in one of ESA's member states and I can say that I am very happy to be funding them. :tu:
What has NASA done for our everyday US citizens? Entertain us now and then and to what cost? This program should be privately funded....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users