Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Curiosity Finds Iron Meteorite on Mars [merged]

mars curiosity mars science laboratory rover meteorites nasa

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Curiosity Finds Iron Meteorite on Mars

www.nasa.gov said:

This rock encountered by NASA's Curiosity Mars rover is an iron meteorite called "Lebanon," similar in shape and luster to iron meteorites found on Mars by the previous generation of rovers, Spirit and Opportunity.  Lebanon is about 2 yards or 2 meters wide (left to right, from this angle). The smaller piece in the foreground is called "Lebanon B."

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,880 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

http://www.extremete...iting-territory

Posted Image

NASA’s Curiosity rover has encountered a massive iron meteorite on Mars. At roughly two meters (6.5 feet) wide, and who knows how much beneath the surface, the meteorite (dubbed “Lebanon”) might be the largest ever discovered on Mars. In other news, Curiosity recently celebrated its first Martian anniversary on the Red Planet (almost two Earth years), and is now about two thirds of the way to its primary target of Mount Sharp, which it should reach in early 2015. Perhaps most interestingly, Curiosity recently passed into a region of terrain that is much more likely to yield exciting geology data and dramatic photos of the Martian landscape.

http://www.extremete...iting-territory

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,299 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

hmmm... looks like it just found a good reason to get to Mars: lotsa cheap iron lying around....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 16 July 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

hmmm... looks like it just found a good reason to get to Mars: lotsa cheap iron lying around....

A few iron meteorites hardly constitutes lots.

If you are looking for iron from space then the asteroid belt is a much better idea.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,880 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 16 July 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

I take it you don't approve of the Mars Science Laboratory mission?

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#6    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,826 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

It would be good if the orbiter imaged the impact crater (if there is one) and how the impact of such a large meteorite affected the surrounding area and geology. How did the immense heat from the meteorite interact with its immediate environment? I would expect glassy spherules to be reasonably abundant, have any been found in the vicinity?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users