Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Airbus has designed new seats

OverSword

Look at this report and see the new slave galley seating patented by airbus.

Video here

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Amazing.

Personally I can't see any negative press or consumer backlash against this.

• Like 2

They are also planning a "safety peg" that sticks up in the middle of the seat... to help stabilize victims passengers in the event of turbulence...

Seriously though... Can you imagine trying to keep a few 6 or 7 year olds still on these things for "a few hours"?...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 4

Yeah, for adults I can see that on the puddle jumpers, but I can't see kids being strapped into these.

Didn't one of the budget carriers propose removing seats for shorthauls - so more standing peeps could be crammed in?

• Like 1

The airlines aren't too crazy about the idea. I live in Tokyo and it is not uncommon for us to stand for 40-60 minutes on a train to get somewhere, so I don't really see a problem with it.

Um, this is a patent. Anyone know how many patents get filed each year? And how many never see any action?

And this American commentator seems to be upset at a company making profits (not something the airline industry has much to brag about over the last 50 years). So he would prefer them to run at a loss? Or is it that he just doesn't like the operation of a free market?

• Like 4

The yahoo article is just fearmongering and there is no evidence that this seat technology will be used in commercial

Airbus aircrafts in future and even not the link to the NYT support that claim. Its all polemic. Ok, in the patent draft

commercial airliners are mentioned but that means nothing. Seriously, who would book a flight on an aircraft with such

seats? I would say a very low number of ppl.

I see 2 reasons for this patent: 1. it is just of strategic nature, means to block this technology for the competitors, and

2. technology to be used in military troop transport A/C like the M400.

New designed seats to expand the cabins passenger capacity look very different to the chairs in the Yahoo article.

Here is a link to RECARO, an Airbus component supplier, showing the newest seats for commercial A/C.

http://www.recaro-as.com/sl3510.html

And I have to add here that a patent does not include any kind of admission by the appropriate authorities like

the FAA and I do not think that the "chair" would get an approval for PAX anyway as this technology does not

provide any kind of protection, other than a seatbelt, in case of crash landings.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

AS stated by Airbus:

“Many, if not most, of these concepts will never be developed, but in case the future of commercial aviation makes one of our patents relevant, our work is protected,” said Airbus spokeswoman Mary Anne Greczyn. “Right now these patent filings are simply conceptual.”

Functional Safety Analysis is not required when filing a Patent, and I can assure you that there is no way that this Patent, as filed, would meet the very strict Functional Safety Requirements of EASA or even the FAA

• Like 1

Recall RAF peeps relating the tales of 'initiation' to frighten the pogees out of new flyers on transport aircraft; seating was often fixed to the loading ramp - which wasn't raised/closed for take-off and initial climb... modern H&S would have a field day!

• Like 1

Well, you can choose to be either squeezed by Airbus or by Boeing:

Feeling unloved already, coach passengers may have more to grouse about as Boeing Co. (BA) shoehorns 11 more seats into the economy cabin of a new 737 model.

In an airline industry where every square inch of space is mined for revenue, the big squeeze is on in the back of the plane. Carriers are changing the shape of lavatories, streamlining galley areas where they store drink carts and adding “slimline” seats with thinner padding to shave centimeters off the distance between rows.

At the same time, they’re making life more comfortable for high-fare customers in business class by installing comfy flatbed seats and 15-inch (38-centimeter) video monitors.

Read more

• Like 2

Airbus was working on the idea of having a kind of back rest with no seat for Asian airlines to cram almost 1000 people into a A380.

_48264943_vertical_seats466x270.gif

Unsurprisingly Ryan air said they could reduce some air fares to just £4 with this configuration (although about 10 times that with surcharges and extras most likely :yes: ).

I don't we will see this in Airbus or Boeing aircraft, however Ryan Air is very keen on the idea of these cheap Chinese aircraft which will no doubt knock off this concept.

Edited by skookum

Amazing.

Personally I can't see any negative press or consumer backlash against this.

It actually can be an actionable change for the public. Especially on long flights this lack of room to move can cause blood clots. A good lawyer would be all over it.
  • Like 1

It's designed for short hops, the argument being that people stand up just as long on commuter trains or buses.

• Like 1

Wait till the first passenger with a sore prostate has a short hop on one of those new seats. It gives a Boeing hope.

"The airline business, where love goes to die." so funny

• Like 1

I always hope when reading reports like this it's a joke. Alas, it never seems to be... remember that idea that perhaps aircraft could use a sort of slanted table, thus making passengers technically stand?

This concept will never fly.

(heheheheheheh......)

• Like 1

This concept will never fly.

(heheheheheheh......)

Seat of the pants job

• Like 1

Look at this report and see the new slave galley seating patented by airbus.

Video here

if Malasian Airways adopt these, will each one come equipped with a black box?

....just in case....