Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 4 votes

Evolution: A Religion

evolution religion skeptics faith

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16    JJ50

JJ50

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

The theory of evolution, whilst not yet perfected, makes a heck of a lot more sense than the rather silly creation story in the Bible, imo!

“The wise recognise their failings and laugh at their idiosyncrasies” RJG

#17    DefenceMinisterMishkin

DefenceMinisterMishkin

Megalodon Trapper

• 4,114 posts

• It's what your right hand's for!

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Evolution is not a religion, LOL, it is just a fact of life.

Posted Image

#18    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,853 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

It's interesting, last Sunday's church was largely soured by the preacher. It wasn't the usual dude (who was on holiday) so hopefully it's more an aberration.... but the sermon was on one of the Psalms, and a large part of the sermon was about how stupid evolution was, and why we are a "special creation". I had to leave early (my uncle's birthday) and then head to Sydney for a wedding so I'll chat with the real pastor next week, hopefully, but being a Theistic Evolution idealist I'll hopefully say that it's all opinion (and at worst that we can "agree to disagree").

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#19    Jeanne dArc

Jeanne dArc

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostJohn Wesley Boyd, on 16 July 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

Well, except for little bumps in the road like Piltdown Man and Steady State Theory.

Steady State Theory is a bizarre example to pick... it has nothing to do with evolution.

And the scientific community absolutely panned the Piltdown Man hoax, nobody was fooled but laymen. It may have taken a very long time to fully expose as a hoax, and identify its perpetrator, but the skepticism over it was immense, from the very start.

#20    029b10

029b10

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostDefenceMinisterMishkin, on 16 July 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Evolution is not a religion, LOL, it is just a fact of life.

Yep, man lies.  Which is the reason sons of men have to evolve into human beings.  [See Ecclesiastes 3:18]

Edited by 029b10, 16 July 2014 - 12:32 PM.

Posted Image

Upon the Circuits of My Creator

shall I return to the Garden of Lights

#21    Jeanne dArc

Jeanne dArc

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

View Post029b10, on 16 July 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

Yep, man lies.  Which is the reason sons of men have to evolve into human beings.  [See Ecclesiastes 3:18]

Hahaha, what??? :lol: Elaborate/explain please?

Edited by Jeanne dArc, 16 July 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#22    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 3,104 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 16 July 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

Steady State theory was a perfectly valid scientific theory.  It just wasn't correct.  You can't hold a theory guilty of ignoring facts that haven't yet been discovered.

Piltdown Man was challenged pretty much from the beginning.  The Royal College of Surgeons went so far as to make a reconstruction that shown the molars were the wrong shape.  Others pointed out how convenient the breaks in the fossils were to encompass entire bones sections independently, instead of them being encased in the same stone as is normally found.  Decades prior to the eventual evidence of the artificially aged stains and the filed down teeth in 1953, the Piltdown Man had already been dismissed as a probable hoax.

Although, this does tie in nicely with the topic.  A lot of misunderstanding about science are perpetrated because a lot of people expect science to be something that it is not.
So, Science is true.....until we discover that it's not. For a scientist, Tyson spouts off a lot. Besides, I was rather fond of Pluto, too.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#23    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 20,060 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostJohn Wesley Boyd, on 16 July 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

So, Science is true.....until we discover that it's not.

Yes, true, in the "in accordance with facts" way.  When we discover it is no longer in accordance with the facts, it is considered obsolete.  Being that we cannot ever determine whether we are absolutely correct in regards to anything, this is the next best thing.

It would be arrogance to ever claim that we are incapable of making mistakes.  Science is not about 100% accuracy.  Science is about validity and probability, not correctness.

For a scientist, Tyson spouts off a lot. Besides, I was rather fond of Pluto, too.

A rose by any other name.  I' ve grandfathered Pluto in with the rest of the planets myself.

Edited by aquatus1, 16 July 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#24    Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

• "An open mind is like an open door, unless you're careful anything might get in." Sir Wearer of Hats

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

So, Science is true.....until we discover that it's not. For a scientist, Tyson spouts off a lot. Besides, I was rather fond of Pluto, too.

Yeah, thank god religious people never do that !

Oh wait ........ :no:

Nobody has ever said that scientists doesn't make mistakes.
One of the thing that differentiates science from religion, is the fact that scientists will change their oppinion if new evidence is presented !

How does Pluto in any way prove that atheism is a religion ?

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy, 16 July 2014 - 05:36 PM.

"People will generally accept fact as truth only if the fact agree with what they already believe"
Andy Rooney

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
Albert Einstein

#25    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,813 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

For a scientist, Tyson spouts off a lot.

When instead he should be doing what exactly?  I mean he's, without a doubt, one of the best science communicators alive, and considering that this topic, evolution, suffers greatly from lack of communication to/education of the ignorant at least in my country, we could use a lot more 'spouting' from him.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#26    RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel

Is he hiding nuts or just plain nuts?

• 1,001 posts

• "I have no idea."
    Nex prius vestis!
    I am terminally curious.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

O.k. on the record: I am a theist. If evolution is a religion, it's the religion with the most proof. Evolution is the best working model available.
Off the record: Dude, it works, it's been proven time and again and my faith (nor any other, that I am aware of) has even ten percent of the proof.

Posted Image   I support the majestic Pacific Northwest tree Octopus.

#27    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostJohn Wesley Boyd, on 16 July 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

All evolution means to religion, if you are a believer, is that the act of creation was a lot more complicated than  just abracadabra, and allakazam.
yes, there was also hokus pokus allemagokus, for example

#28    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• 1,367 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Even if evolution were a religion, I'd still take it over the alternatives.

But one of the many things Tyson pointed out in Cosmos was that scientists question everything, even their own theories.  It's a huge motivating factor in the advancement of our scientific understanding...always question because there is always more to learn...and most questions are answered with more questions.

Most of the arguments wouldn't happen if it wasn't for selective hearing. Ugh.

There is no greater risk in life than doing nothing.

#29    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,516 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

All I can say is HA.

If you get dragged into another "factual" discussion of this, then i say get a better hobby.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#30    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,128 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

You can still be fond of Pluto. It's still the same loveable iceball it always was

Also tagged with evolution, religion, skeptics, faith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users