Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 4 votes

Evolution: A Religion

evolution religion skeptics faith

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,111 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

Evolution is observed fact. Religion not so much

#32    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,779 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostJohn Wesley Boyd, on 16 July 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

Well, except for little bumps in the road like Piltdown Man and Steady State Theory.

Unlike religion, science can change as more facts and evidence are uncovered.   Science is an on going exploration of reality.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#33    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Non of the arguments in the op are valid. There are huge differences in the way physicists define things and the way the words are used in common knowledge. It's so bad it even throws off young physicists. Creationists hear one thing but not being physicists rarely know what the physicist is actuall talking about. The generalizations are made and strawmen created.

Just a fe subjects that bear this problem.

1. The nature of time
2. Quantum mechanics
3. Thermo dynamics and its relationship to QN
4. Relativity

The list goes on. We do have a mechanism that can creat universes, there most likely  was a "time" before the Big Bang, Qm rules govern the very small, relativity the large. And yes thermodynamics fails at the quantum level and things can and go spear out if "nothing" all the time. It's testable. Only problem is that nothing isn't really nothing.

With all that said for the creationist, non of it rules out god that set it all into motion it only pushes the envelope back a bit.   The crusade creationists have on varified science is not helping their cause. In fact it pushes more and more potential members away.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#34    grendals_bane

grendals_bane

Master Procrastinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

• I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned. - Byron

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostOakum, on 15 July 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

Evolution is based more on blind faith rather than on solid evidence of science.

There is so much evidence on the side of evolution it is only someone who is willfully ignorant to the facts who would state something like the above.

Edited by grendals_bane, 17 July 2014 - 07:50 PM.

"There is no such thing as good and evil, just various shades of grey."

#35    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostJohn Wesley Boyd, on 16 July 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

So, Science is true.....until we discover that it's not.

"I don't understand science" would have been quicker.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#36    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,150 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 16 July 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

Yes, true, in the "in accordance with facts" way.  When we discover it is no longer in accordance with the facts, it is considered obsolete.  Being that we cannot ever determine whether we are absolutely correct in regards to anything, this is the next best thing.

It would be arrogance to ever claim that we are incapable of making mistakes.  Science is not about 100% accuracy.  Science is about validity and probability, not correctness.

A rose by any other name.  I' ve grandfathered Pluto in with the rest of the planets myself.
Very good. Science is the method by which we examine, explore and slowly accrue knowlege of the Universe. Science is an active process, not a static body of knowledge.

Edited by John Wesley Boyd, 17 July 2014 - 09:16 PM.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#37    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,150 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 17 July 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

"I don't understand science" would have been quicker.
Oh hush, darling. There's a method to my madness.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#38    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

well, I can accept evolution as a religion. In accepting that, then I must accept factual history as a religion. I must accept Math as a religion. I must accept All scientific facts as a religion (this would include medical science, anthropology, archeology,..) I think you get the idea.

I reckon anything that has been proven a fact, and is believed in by others, such as if i flip on a light switch the light comes on.. if I have four cats and open a can then meowing chaos will happen,.. anything I believe in as fact, will be known as a religion, I can live with that.

Posted Image

#39    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,150 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

Evolution as religion! I'm surprised this thread hasn't taken on a more Humanist flavor. Greg M. Epstein states that, "modern, organized Humanism began, in the minds of its founders, as nothing more nor less than a religion without a God".

#40    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

View PostJohn Wesley Boyd, on 17 July 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

Oh hush, darling. There's a method to my madness.

You may not want to be so subtle.  There are many here who would comment as you did based solely on not understanding science.

#41    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,756 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

Science, IIRC, the word "science" means "to understand" in Greek.
Sometimes, that understanding can be wrong, and the first people (nine times out of ten) to say "we was wrong" will be the scientists themselves.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#42    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,475 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

If one believes evolution without actually looking into it - that is, on "faith" - then it could be regarded as a religion.  On the other hand, if one looks into it, studies it a little, then accepts it based on evidence, then it is not a religion.

Same applies to Christianity.  If you believe it on "faith," it is a religion.  But if you investigate it in depth, carefully ruling out the mythical parts, then you realize, based on evidence, that it didn't actually happen that way, then your belief is based on evidence and does not qualify as religion.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#43    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,150 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 17 July 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

You may not want to be so subtle.  There are many here who would comment as you did based solely on not understanding science.
Yes. There certainly are, aren't they? I try to draw people out and gauge their depth of understanding. Some people surprise you with their sophistcation. Others think science is something factual they read on line or in a book, and has to be true. Some people, however, understand the difference between knowledge and the method with which it is acquired. They understand how it progresses, evolves and changes as an on going process. They have that extra level of awareness and can think outside the box

Edited by John Wesley Boyd, 18 July 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#44    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,822 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

View PostJohn Wesley Boyd, on 17 July 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

Very good. Science is the method by which we examine, explore and slowly accrue knowlege of the Universe. Science is an active process, not a static body of knowledge.

Yes, science writes new stories all the time, religion only wrote one.

Edited by psyche101, 18 July 2014 - 01:58 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#45    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,209 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:05 AM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 15 July 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

Sigh....

.Posted Image

He also said science cannot make absolute statements, you know like the one you posted.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

Also tagged with evolution, religion, skeptics, faith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users