Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Most popular

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Boadicea1

Boadicea1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

Just been having a nosey and it seems nothing has changed on here in terms of the Bigfoot and the popularity the myth holds. It's a myth to be perfectly honest that has never interested me, but I am curious as to what makes this myth much more popular than others? Filled with hoax footage and pictures and a lot of false encounters and stories, why is it talked about so much?

So why is BF so popular amongst people?

And the real question is, do you believe? Or do you play along?

#2    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 4,280 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=268990

From that thread;

"He is compelling for the sake that he is a mystery.

With evidence the magic vanishes...it is like Las Vegas in the day time, it looks like a broken down old call woman in her late 50s wearing dirty and stained underclothing....but at night....with darkness and light and noise and splendor she comes back to life, bathed in her mystery and grandeur."

And so on;

We live in a world of measured precision where we deal in absolutes and totals.

A little mystery around the corners and edges, lurking past the darkness, is nice.

Her singing always cheered him up. Life seemed so much brighter when she stopped.

T. Pratchett.

#3    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,449 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

It is easier to fake pics and videos of a Bigfoot, versus a lake monster.
It is also easier to misidentify a noise, or other animal as " Bigfoot ".

It is also more " believable " ( not by me, and for lack of a more fitting word ) for some to think a large mammal in the " deep " woods is possible. Now, mind you, these are more people that do not, or have not actually lived in these areas, and think people do not go in there. ( far from the truth )..

So, I think it is because it is easier to think a large primate like animal exists, more then a lake monster, dragon, or werewolf.

Not to mention, a ton of TV shows now focusing on Bigfoot. Free advertisement.

Edited by Sakari, 16 July 2014 - 02:54 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#4    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 5,343 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

First it was Aliens then Werewolves and Vampires and then Zombies. Now Cryptids are the media's darlings. What next? Teenage Vampire Sasquatch Zombies?

"An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial."

#5    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,394 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

Big foot is real I know a judge in Pa his friend saw this thing about 20 years ago

#6    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:43 AM

View PostJohn Wesley Boyd, on 16 July 2014 - 03:08 AM, said:

First it was Aliens then Werewolves and Vampires and then Zombies. Now Cryptids are the media's darlings. What next? Teenage Vampire Sasquatch Zombies?
Hmm, Teenage Vampire Sasquatch Zombies v Mutant Giant Hyrax Glowbirds...

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostBoadicea1, on 15 July 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

Just been having a nosey and it seems nothing has changed on here in terms of the Bigfoot and the popularity the myth holds. It's a myth to be perfectly honest that has never interested me, but I am curious as to what makes this myth much more popular than others? Filled with hoax footage and pictures and a lot of false encounters and stories, why is it talked about so much?

So why is BF so popular amongst people?

And the real question is, do you believe? Or do you play along?

Bigfoot is talked about so much because he keeps being reported in the news. He keeps being reported in the news because he people keep reporting him. It is a self perpetuating circle.

I play along... :innocent:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostJohn Wesley Boyd, on 16 July 2014 - 03:08 AM, said:

Race you to the trademark on the name!! :w00t:

I'm thinking sparkling sasquatches... :innocent: With Kirsten Steward saying, "They are so beautiful!!"

Edited by DieChecker, 16 July 2014 - 07:21 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 5,343 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 16 July 2014 - 07:20 AM, said:

Race you to the trademark on the name!! :w00t:

I'm thinking sparkling sasquatches... :innocent: With Kirsten Steward saying, "They are so beautiful!!"
Or Lambent Werewoves starring a twirking Miley Cyrus, Werewolf Killer. In the first episode her partner, coolguy, teaches her his secret Werewolf killing technique, The Curly Shuffle.

"An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial."

#10    HMS Dreadnought

HMS Dreadnought

Poltergeist

• 2,669 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Big Foot is more than a cryptid now, he is big business & makes a lot of money & money, well that makes the world go round :gun:

Dear you guys. Words cannot express how much I hate you guys. As we fight our way northward into the great unknown, only that one thing remains certain: that I hate you guys with every tired muscle in my confederate body. We have taken Topeka and I must rally the men onward to Missouri. Because I will not stop until we have won it all, and you guys are my slaves. Because I hate you guys. I hate you guys so very very much. Yours, General Cartman Lee.

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

I do know that a couple towns around the Pacific Northwest have bigfoot statues here and there, and the kids always ask "What's that?". And then you have to start in with all the stories and myths. Well, you don't have to, but it makes a good story to tell kids. So just the objects (like Bigfoot crossing signs) that people put out bring up the subject and thus also help keep it a subject of discussion.

#12    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• 1,099 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I typed a long cynical response to my feelings on bigfoot and then I realized that it was pointless. Basically logic should tell you that such an animal can't exist, it is a tall tale amplified by a countless amount of misidentifications and hoaxers that will persist until we've mapped every square centimeter of the planet and even then the stories will continue.

#13    Wyverna

Wyverna

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

• "No, I'm not a dragon slayer. I'm a dragon SAVIOR. See the difference?"

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

Maybe because it's been around for about 40-50 years, so it's kind of got a legacy in American culture. Or maybe even because of the Patterson-Gimlin film. That footage really made Bigfoot skyrocket in popularity and awareness.

I'm just kind of throwing out guesses. :P

Posted Image

“But it is one thing to read about dragons and another to meet them.”
--Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea

#14    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 3,653 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:54 AM

Maybe it is because people keep seeing one

There are no such things as Lenticular clouds, only UFO's in disguise

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#15    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,371 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 18 July 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:

Maybe it is because people keep seeing one

Well, people sure continue to claim to see it so perhaps that is where the real thrill of Bigfoot resides...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users