Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

One injection stops Diabetes in its tracks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,619 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

Treatment reverses symptoms of type 2 diabetes in mice without side effects.

In mice with diet-induced diabetes—the equivalent of type 2 diabetes in humans—a single injection of the protein FGF1 is enough to restore blood sugar levels to a healthy range for more than two days. The discovery by Salk scientists, published today in the journal Nature, could lead to a new generation of safer, more effective diabetes drugs.

The team found that sustained treatment with the protein doesn't merely keep blood sugar under control, but also reverses insulin insensitivity, the underlying physiological cause of diabetes. Equally exciting, the newly developed treatment doesn't result in side effects common to most current diabetes treatments.

http://www.salk.edu/...p?press_id=2037

Cz

Edited by Czero 101, 17 July 2014 - 05:12 AM.

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe..." - Carl Sagan
"I'm tired of ignorance held up as inspiration, where vicious anti-intellectualism is considered a positive trait, and where uninformed opinion is displayed as fact." - Phil Plait
"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." - H. L. Mencken

#2    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 4,265 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

So you are telling that I should only eat pies stuffed with cake and covered with brownies?

Is that what you are trying to convey to me?

Her singing always cheered him up. Life seemed so much brighter when she stopped.

T. Pratchett.

#3    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,619 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

View Postbubblykiss, on 17 July 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

So you are telling that I should only eat pies stuffed with cake and covered with brownies?

Is that what you are trying to convey to me?

No, that isn't at all what this article is telling you....

Cz

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe..." - Carl Sagan
"I'm tired of ignorance held up as inspiration, where vicious anti-intellectualism is considered a positive trait, and where uninformed opinion is displayed as fact." - Phil Plait
"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." - H. L. Mencken

#4    SaraT

SaraT

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

• Just consider me Sherlock Holmes on Marmite.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostCzero 101, on 17 July 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

Treatment reverses symptoms of type 2 diabetes in mice without side effects.

http://www.salk.edu/...p?press_id=2037

Cz

This would be such a blessing if it turns out similarly for humans!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users