Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Electric life forms that live on pure energy

electric bacteria shewanella geobacter electric life forms

  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 39,485 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

STICK an electrode in the ground, pump electrons down it, and they will come: living cells that eat electricity. We have known bacteria to survive on a variety of energy sources, but none as weird as this. Think of Frankenstein's monster, brought to life by galvanic energy, except these "electric bacteria" are very real and are popping up all over the place.

http://www.newscient...ml#.U8phHUCg4dX

Posted Image

#2    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,714 posts
  • Joined:23 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:27North 80West

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Fascinating information. :tu:


#3    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,198 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

That means in plain English: Life does not need biology nor water, nor chemistry....

If factual this could throw many of our concepts over board... and the interesting question then is: is there a life form around we are not aware of and that is not aware of us?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    Razer

Razer

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Joined:26 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Edge

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

This is the most interesting thing I have heard in a very long time. :tu:


#5    Paranomaly

Paranomaly

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined:11 Dec 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:IL

  • If you want to know the truth follow your instincts and listen to your conscience.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Always cool to find new organisms on our planet.


#6    Realm

Realm

    Member

  • Member
  • 2,180 posts
  • Joined:29 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere in our spiral galaxy

  • "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

We have bacteria that live in jet fuel and can feed off nuclear waste. Life is indeed amazing.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

#7    spartan max2

spartan max2

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 3,057 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Perhaps energy life is earlier then ocean cell life ;)


"Two types are currently known, Shewanella and Geobacter, however scientists have been discovering even more by enticing them out of rocks and sediment using electrical bait."  

Edited by spartan max2, 20 July 2014 - 04:18 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#8    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

    Last Among Equals

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2014
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PHX, AZ

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

I work with several people in their early 20s who seem to live off of nothing but pure sugary Energy Drinks.

However, biologically if this does not expand the concept of what life is and what it takes to foster and support life....well then, I am not sure what will.


#9    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 19 July 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

That means in plain English: Life does not need biology nor water, nor chemistry....

If factual this could throw many of our concepts over board... and the interesting question then is: is there a life form around we are not aware of and that is not aware of us?

I agree and just think of how long these energy forms had to evolve here and in the universe. What if they can group and evolve to have some sort of hive consciousness. It could be that science has  discovered the building blocks of the energy beings that mystics have claimed have been with us since the dawn of mankind.  Life like this would also explain some mysteries of astrophysics where there's an unexplainable loss of electrons in certain parts of space.

Science will have to come up with a new definition with what constitutes a discovery of alien life when exploring other planets.The diversity of forms of life are more extreme then the biological forms they are generally seeking to discover now.

Edited by White Unicorn, 20 July 2014 - 06:56 PM.


#10    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Joined:02 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Under There

  • Valar morghulis

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

That is shocking news...


#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 19,766 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 19 July 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

STICK an electrode in the ground, pump electrons down it, and they will come: living cells that eat electricity. We have known bacteria to survive on a variety of energy sources, but none as weird as this. Think of Frankenstein's monster, brought to life by galvanic energy, except these "electric bacteria" are very real and are popping up all over the place.

http://www.newscient...ml#.U8phHUCg4dX

From OP Link:

Quote

Posted Image
Geobacter – a current favourite (Image: Derek Lovley/SPL)

A current (electric current) favorite? Someone has a sense of humor at New Scientist.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 19,766 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

If these are entirely fed by electricity, then where does the mass come from to reproduce? I'm guessing that these little guys can live of the electricity alone, but need physical food in order to heal/grow/reproduce.

From OP Link:

Quote

may be the most convincing example we have so far of electricity eaters grown on a supply of electrons with no added food.

Wouldn't that imply that the mass needed to grow the creatures would have to be created from the electricity? I find it hard to believe that these little guys are converting electricity directly into matter.

Edited by DieChecker, 20 July 2014 - 07:42 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 20 July 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

If these are entirely fed by electricity, then where does the mass come from to reproduce? I'm guessing that these little guys can live of the electricity alone, but need physical food in order to heal/grow/reproduce.

From OP Link:
[/size]
Wouldn't that imply that the mass needed to grow the creatures would have to be created from the electricity? I find it hard to believe that these little guys are converting electricity directly into matter.

It wouldn't really be as impossible as it sounds when you think about matter at an atomic level. What is matter but a lasting relationship or unity of charged particles which form an apparently solid mass. Higher levels of energy such as x rays etc can pass through solid without changing the form, so at that level of energy, the solid form is an illusion. The electromagnetic force of the particles of a solid keep other solids from passing because there's sort of a force field that deflect other solids from penetrating like material, but higher levels of energies can pass. The solidity of matter is relative to our perceptions especially since we focus on our solid body more then say the very small electric part of us produced that lets neurons communicate from our brain. Our biology can change matter into energy. Why not another form of life doing the opposite? Water can be vapor, ice, or liquid but its actually the same thing in different enviromental conditions. It appears to be a very complex relationship of energy to matter and matter to energy but if you think of it as one process of energy changing form it isn't as difficult.


#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 19,766 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostWhite Unicorn, on 20 July 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

It wouldn't really be as impossible as it sounds when you think about matter at an atomic level. What is matter but a lasting relationship or unity of charged particles which form an apparently solid mass. Higher levels of energy such as x rays etc can pass through solid without changing the form, so at that level of energy, the solid form is an illusion. The electromagnetic force of the particles of a solid keep other solids from passing because there's sort of a force field that deflect other solids from penetrating like material, but higher levels of energies can pass. The solidity of matter is relative to our perceptions especially since we focus on our solid body more then say the very small electric part of us produced that lets neurons communicate from our brain. Our biology can change matter into energy. Why not another form of life doing the opposite? Water can be vapor, ice, or liquid but its actually the same thing in different enviromental conditions. It appears to be a very complex relationship of energy to matter and matter to energy but if you think of it as one process of energy changing form it isn't as difficult.

Still matter is not made up of electrons alone. Unless these microbes can convert electrons into protons?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 20 July 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:



Still matter is not made up of electrons alone. Unless these microbes can convert electrons into protons?

This is very true :)  I think that there is much more involved in the processes and a complexity of  things we haven't discovered yet. I think this is a great discovery which will lead us to understand  many processes of life that science has overlooked. Researchers will be lead to look where they didn't think of looking before. I believe there are more symbiotic relationships between life forms and even between energy and biological life forms than currently realized. An example, medical research is just starting to study the ecosystems involved within the human body, which in order to survive we are very dependent on the symbiotic relationships to bacterias and even viruses. The discovery of these amazing little life form processes will spark research to look for other energy life processes and I bet that will lead to revelational discoveries in the matter energy processes of life itself.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users