Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Why Can't Apes Speak Like Humans?

apes nonhuman primates dawn of the planet of the ape caesar speak humans

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,711 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

In the new film "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," a brilliant, mutant chimp named Caesar forcefully yells "Go!" at a group of humans who wandered into the ape population's forest. His deep, guttural voice startles the people, but his vocalizations are even more surprising.

The ape speaks English.

While bands of apes do have ways of communicating with one another, is it possible for nonhuman primates to speak the way humans do?

https://uk.news.yaho...20.html#26ZGs66

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,829 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

They can, it's just unlike humans they only speak when they ave something interesting to say ;)

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,521 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 20 July 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

The ape speaks English.

What like "innit" ?

Edited by freetoroam, 20 July 2014 - 11:39 AM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    DefenceMinisterMishkin

DefenceMinisterMishkin

Megalodon Trapper

• Banned
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm not sure how i would feel hearing a chimp speak like a human in reality.

Posted Image

#5    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

No they don't have the same vocal cords as humans.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#6    DefenceMinisterMishkin

DefenceMinisterMishkin

Megalodon Trapper

• Banned
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Chimps are very clever though, they have a broad and diverse language.

Posted Image

#7    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Chimps have almost everything they need for speech. They have both the Broca's and Wernicke's areas of the brain used to process language. They have a hyoid bone but their larynx is not low enough to produce the full range of human sounds. They also have the FOXP2 gene that is necessary for speech, but is slightly different from the human version. It's this slight difference that may be the barrier to chimpanzee speech.

"biologists in Leipzig, Germany, genetically engineered a mouse with the human version of FOXP2 substituted for its own. The upgraded mice squeaked somewhat differently from plain mice and were born with subtle alterations in brain structure."

As far as I know, no one has tried to replace chimp FOXP2 genes with human ones. As opposed to the mouse experiment, this one would be highly controversial and most likely prohibited.

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,864 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Some things are best left untaught...

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#9    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

Since this Yahoo "news" story was inspired by the latest Planet of the Apes movie, I thought I would re-post a commercial from the last one. It was originally released as real footage from Africa, but was quickly revealed to be fake. Still, it's hilarious.

#10    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,902 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

I think the thinking here is backward. Can humans mimic the noises that an ape can produce? If so, then we simply need to create a language using the sounds apes and humans can both produce and teach it to both humans and apes.

So, in a sense, apes could be taught to speak, using their native range of vocalizations.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#11    Drfeelgood11

Drfeelgood11

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

I dont know if yall are quite rite or not. I mean parrots dont have vocal cords and ive heard parrots speak clear as day.

I dont know if yall are quite rite or not. I mean parrots dont have vocal cords and ive heard parrots speak clear as day.

#12    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

View PostDrfeelgood11, on 20 July 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

How come parrots can talk and not monkeys?

#13    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,841 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

In their defence, monkeys are quite good at singing.

Edited by Eldorado, 20 July 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#14    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

View PostDrfeelgood11, on 20 July 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

Not only can they talk, and not just imitate, they are also highly intelligent and according to the Cambridge Declaration;  "Evidence of near human-like levels of consciousness has been most dramatically observed in African grey parrots."

And this reminded me of Alex, the African Grey.

Edited by redhen, 20 July 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#15    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,521 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostEldorado, on 20 July 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

In their defence, monkeys are quite good at singing.

Posted Image

?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users