Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

45th anniversary of the Moon landing

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 7,188 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

On July 20, 1969 man first set foot on the Moon.  It will always be one of our monumental achievements.

http://earthsky.org/...a27ef-394012957

Edited by Merc14, 20 July 2014 - 01:18 PM.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,658 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

One of those events that stay vividly fresh in my mind... It seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do... The sky wasn't even a limit anymore... Surely we
would push on, and establish a permanent foothold on the moon and go one to Mars.... Looking back on the intervening 45 years, I can't help but think that
that was the swan song of manned space exploration...  We've lost so much drive to explore... Now we just seem to want to send probes, and content ourselves
with deep space photography - which is very cool and we are learning amazing things...  But humans are an exploring race... We need to go outwards... To
see with our own eyes whats on the other side of the hill... the other side of the solar system...  (grumpy old man rant over)

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time...  It was my 16th birthday, and I joked with my dad that it was really cool of NASA to do that for my birthday....

#3    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,713 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostTaun, on 20 July 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time...  It was my 16th birthday, and I joked with my dad that it was really cool of NASA to do that for my birthday....

I remember exactly where I was as well (we're very close in age). I can still see our family room, the tile floor with a red oriental rug, the Magnavox TV  that was more like a piece of furniture in its wooden cabinet. My Dad is sitting on the edge of his seat (quite literally) as Mr. Armstrong makes the historic first step. "By God we did it, we actually did it" was what he said. Ironically, my father was at this period in time working more with 'inner space' vs 'outer space'...he was one of the engineers who worked on the very first 'atom smasher' at Brookhaven Laboratory on Long Island.

Edited by Lilly, 20 July 2014 - 07:12 PM.
typo

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#4    acute

acute

• 2,581 posts

• Sorry, I cannot provide a link to my opinion!

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

Alleged moon landing!

;)

#5    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,713 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

View Postacute, on 20 July 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

Alleged moon landing!

;)

At times like these I really miss MID. :cry:

Posted Image

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,082 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

View Postacute, on 20 July 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

Alleged moon landing!

;)

Yes, alleged in the same way that the sky is alleged to be blue, that fire is alleged to be hot and that the ocean is alleged to be wet.

View PostLilly, on 20 July 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

At times like these I really miss MID. :cry:

I really miss him an awful lot of the time, but even more so on a day like today. He would have posted something fascinating about Apollo 11 and I would have left this thread knowing more than when I entered it.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 20 July 2014 - 10:13 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,826 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#8    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,713 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Awesome video! :tsu:

Posted Image

#9    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,927 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

And no other humans have landed there since the Americans stopped.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#10    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,562 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image

AMERICA!

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#11    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,713 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 20 July 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

And no other humans have landed there since the Americans stopped.

This says a great deal IMO.

Posted Image

#12    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,577 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

this is for Mid ,Great memories and the Planning that went into The Apollo programs.
A Speech that never happened Thank Goodness !
"Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.These brave men,Neil Armstrong, and Edwin Aldrin know that there is no hope for their recovery.But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

"These two men are lying down their lives in mankind most noble goal: the search for the truth and understanding. They will be mourned by their families and friends: They will be mourned by their nation: they will be mourned by the people of this world" They will be mourned by mother earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

In their exploration they stirred the people of the world to feel as one: In their sacrifice,they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man. In ancient days, men looked at the stars and saw their Heros in the constellations. In modern times we do much the same. but our heros are epic men of flesh and blood.

"Others will follow and surely find their way home . Mans search will not be denied,but these men were first ,and they will remain here foremost in our hearts.

"For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever Mankind !

President Richard Nixon .

That would of been one Hell of a sad speech to make ! :tu:
Cheer`s Mid I know you Know !

This is a Work in Progress!

#13    ibnuts

ibnuts

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

Did we find something on the moon that made us afraid to go back again? Maybe something was inplanted in their minds that you do not belong here so please return to where you belong.

Edited by ibnuts, 21 July 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#14    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,658 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

View Postibnuts, on 21 July 2014 - 02:09 AM, said:

Did we find something on the moon that made us afraid to go back again? Maybe something was inplanted in their minds that you do not belong here so please return to where you belong.

No... There were two main factors (as I see it - others might disagree)
1. NASA didn't really have a continuation plan... The main thrust was to get there and back safely... Basically they were victims of their own success... It was a case of "Gee... Now we're here.. What do we do next?"
And I'm sure budgets had a lot to do with that as well...
2. The novelty factor wore off and public interest waned... By the time of the last landing, an amazing number of people had no idea we were even there at the time...   America is a great nation... filled with great
people that can do astounding things when we set our minds to it... but we have the attention span of a three year old...

#15    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,581 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

Strangely enough I don't remember the Apollo 11 landing (it was one month before my sixth birthday) but I remember vividly 9 months later going far a walk in the dark with my parents and looking up at the moon and them praying for the safe return of Apollo 13. They weren't even religious. I felt their worry.

To add; Happy birthday Taun!

Edited by Likely Guy, 21 July 2014 - 03:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users