Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What's the appeal of mundane simulator games?

simulator games

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,969 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Whether it is managing a campsite, driving a long-haul lorry, mending a car or working a rubbish lorry, more and more people are passionately playing simulator games that accurately replicate everyday life.

But who is it that plays these games? And what makes people play them when you could just do the real thing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-28238064

Posted Image

#2    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,545 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Same reason people buy or pay to use expensive exercise machines when they could just do the real thing; peer pressure and convenience.  You don't have to leave the comfort of a controlled environment and actually experience the rigors of the totally real outdoors. Then there's the fascination and immersion in a three dimensional environment on screen.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#3    EzyEllis

EzyEllis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

• "Squeeze the juice out, of all the suckers power
    And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers
    This world is ours"

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

I play a variety of simulators, Planes, Spaceships, Racing, And military. I enjoy the learning curve and all the reading, Once your on the edge of your car or plane or micro managing a squad whilst being under fire without casualties there is a great sense of achievement. I got into racing that much at one point I even brought a sim wheel with pedals and h shifter and sequential shifter.

I wish I could have a chance to fly a plane or drive a race car around a track but its the money.. I cant just have a one in a life time experience I will always want more. I'm not into it as much as I was because of work and hobbies " I suppose you could class it as a hobby"  but it was a blast not one regret.

But Simulators are good.. I'm would not be surprised if there is people out there who'd played a sim and actually got all there qualifications and tock it up for a job.

#4    Dinosaur Jr

Dinosaur Jr

I'm not a Mutant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:47 AM

I sometimes like to play games that are not very entertaining or fulfilling, like I play garbage Truck simulator, street cleaning simulator, or drive around a taxi in GTA, Even when I play sports games, I try to make the score look as mundane as possible..

Why play these games when you can do the real thing ?

Because I could be a pilot, OR a train driver, but the likelihood of doing both in one lifetime is very low, With simulators, you sort of can :)

#5    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

has a cape

• 1,538 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

there's also just the fascination of ordinary things. i love ordinary and boring things.

and there's little chance that i'll ever be able to be, say, a european truck driver, for... a whole lot of reasons. so there can always be something fantastic and unfamiliar in the mundane.

it's also a nice change of pace from "shootguns 2014", or whatever the newest "must have" game is.

#6    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,891 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

View Postseaturtlehorsesnake, on 08 August 2014 - 04:45 AM, said:

there's also just the fascination of ordinary things. i love ordinary and boring things.

and there's little chance that i'll ever be able to be, say, a european truck driver, for... a whole lot of reasons. so there can always be something fantastic and unfamiliar in the mundane.

it's also a nice change of pace from "shootguns 2014", or whatever the newest "must have" game is.

lol that legitimately made me laugh. Its true alot of games could fit that title

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#7    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,890 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

I like playing railroad simulators... not so much the driving of the locomotive (I suck at that), but the laying out of the tracks, setting up the consists (types of cars, etc) and managing the line... Most
current rail sims though focus more on driving the locomotive.... I also have been known to play the Sims occasionally.... It's nice having a wife and kids that do what you tell them to... :whistle:

#8    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,361 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

I have Flight Simulator and Farming Simulator it might be boring for most, but its about people's hobbies i guess

#9    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,211 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

I still occasionally play the original The Sims from 2002. I've got so many families going, when I play it I don't know where to begin. I built an orphanage once with like 20 children. Most of the kids eventually died or were carried off by the truant officer. I have a like a half-way house or something now with about 10 kids or so and just one guy trying to take care of them all.

It's just somethng different. It's interesting when school is out and between meals, as the kids gather in groups and talk to each other, or go off by themselves and play with different stuff. I have to remove the door of the kitchen when the guy is making meals, so the kids don't wander in when they're hungry and raid the fridge.

Having several adults in one house is interesting, too. It's hard to keep track of everybody, though. Stuff like that.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,035 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Flight Simulator and Rail simulator, but I hardly play I mostly program extensions. And seems I am pretty good at it, a Central American airline is using one of my sceneries for their official training simulators (national flights).

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#11    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,860 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Two words: extra lives!

#12    village_idiot

village_idiot

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Land Volunteer

• 2,271 posts

• "Are you willing to risk your life to save whales?"
    -Captain Paul Watson

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

Anybody try the Goat Simulator yet...?

#13    Dropship

Dropship

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I find PC wargames interesting because it's fun seeing if you can do better than the historical commanders..:)
PS- but sadly most games are far too big and complex and give me a headache, so I tend to stick to easy-to play 3D games like the Armed Assault series and Flight sims

#14    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,653 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

For me the appeal of simulators is being able to do something I could/would never do in real life. I don't just mean fly a plane, or be a garbage truck driver, I'm talking about driving the garbage truck through a squad of SWAT members or landing that plane on top of a downtown skyscraper so I can launch RPG's at the tiny people below.

When I'm done causing mayhem and chaos in the inner city, I simply exit the game and life goes on consequence free. This century is a good time to be alive..

"[...]knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal.”

-Sagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users