Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Previously uncontacted tribe members infected

panoan language anthropologists acre previously uncontacted tribe flu influenza

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,785 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Late last week, Brazil's Indian affairs department (FUNAI) publicly announced an event that many anthropologists and medical researchers had feared. In the remote Brazilian state of Acre, members of a long-isolated Amazon tribe have contracted influenza after making voluntary contact with the outside world. Some researchers now fear that the contacted individuals, who speak a Panoan language, will spread the potentially fatal virus to other nonimmunized members of their tribe.

http://news.sciencem...ected-flu?rss=1

http://news.sciencem...erges-isolation

Previous thread -
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=199866

Posted Image

#2    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

I was preparing some witty retorts....but then it occurred to me that the massive tragic die offs the followed initial contact will be reproduced on a micro-scale.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.

William S. Burroughs

#3    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

View Postbubblykiss, on 22 July 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

I was preparing some witty retorts....but then it occurred to me that the massive tragic die offs the followed initial contact will be reproduced on a micro-scale.

It's also possible that this tribe might transmit another disease like syphilis to the outside world.

"Syphilis was indisputably present in the Americas before European contact. The dispute is over whether or not syphilis was also present elsewhere in the world at that time. One of the two primary hypotheses proposes that syphilis was carried from the Americas to Europe by the returning crewmen from Christopher Columbus's voyage to the Americas. The other hypothesis says that syphilis existed in Europe previously, but went unrecognized until shortly after Columbus' return. These are referred to as the Columbian and pre-Columbian hypotheses, respectively. The Columbian hypothesis is best supported by the available evidence"

#4    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

Are you suggesting I travel to Brazil for the express propose of having unprotected sexual intercourse with isolated tribes in order to ascertain if I can find a new and exciting STD?

Because that's exactly how I scheduled my next Thursday.

http://www.iol.co.za...yphilis-1.44486

Posted Image
'Mischievous medieval monks spread syphilis'

July 24 2000 at 01:53pm
London - The long-cherished British belief that it was the returning Spanish conquistadores who brought syphilis to Europe from the Americas, has been turned on its head by skeletal evidence that medieval English monks had the so-called "Spanish pox" long before Columbus set sail in 1492.

Research carried out on skeletons at an excavated priory in Hull unearthed evidence of the disease in many of the 14th-century monks, reported the Daily Telegraph on Monday.

This refutes the widespread assumption that syphilis had its origins in America, based on the belief that there had been no trace of the disease in Europe before 1492.
However, radio carbon dating of a male skeleton, possibly a friar, with obvious signs of syphilis has shown that the remains belong to the mid-1340s.

"This discovery changes our views about the history of syphilis," said Anthea Boylston, who led the six-year project at the University of Bradford.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.

William S. Burroughs

#5    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

View Postbubblykiss, on 22 July 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

Are you suggesting I travel to Brazil for the express propose of having unprotected sexual intercourse with isolated tribes in order to ascertain if I can find a new and exciting STD?

Because that's exactly how I scheduled my next Thursday.

I love the sense of humour in your posts, they always give me a chuckle. But it seems the dating of these bones were off and the original researcher admitted that in this article posted a year after the find.

Monks' fishy diet changes syphilis story

"Scientists at Oxford University's Radiocarbon Accleration Unit are about 92 per cent certain that the skeletons date to between 1410 and 1530."

Posted Image

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by redhen, 22 July 2014 - 06:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users