Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Queen's horse drug test

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,751 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

The Telegraph said:

The Queen's horse Estimate tested positive for morphine because poppy seeds "appear" to have contaminated its food, according to the company that supplied it.

Royal Warrant holders Dodson & Horrell said its own investigation suggested the contamination did not occur at its own horse feed manufacturing site, and that its inquiries were now centred on its supplier.

The news is unlikely to affect the consequences of the positive test, as the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has a zero tolerance approach to morphine on race days.

Read more

Yeh right, if the nag would not belong to Her Majesty the breeder would just be banned for life without any other discussion.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,797 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Opiate dens are still alive and well I see. If you got the cash, they'll provide the stash.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#3    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,139 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

This is an urban legend. Poppyseed dont show up as drugs lol I will eat 5 poppyseed bagels go to a drug test and pass.

#4    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,166 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 26 July 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

This is an urban legend. Poppyseed dont show up as drugs lol I will eat 5 poppyseed bagels go to a drug test and pass.

What you eat in poppy seed bagels etc, are the dried, processed seeds themselves which, as you say, have no opiate qualities. What can contaminate horse feed is the juice (latex) of the raw poppy head getting in amongst the feed grain during processing.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,751 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

View Postealdwita, on 26 July 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

What you eat in poppy seed bagels etc, are the dried, processed seeds themselves which, as you say, have no opiate qualities. What can contaminate horse feed is the juice (latex) of the raw poppy head getting in amongst the feed grain during processing.

yep, and how many tons did they feed the nag so it shows up in rather inefficient speed tests?

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,166 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 26 July 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

yep, and how many tons did they feed the nag so it shows up in rather inefficient speed tests?

Drug testing on horses consists of a method called ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay).......a procedure similar to pregnancy testing and requires a single drop of urine. Increasingly, mass spectrometry is being used....a much more 'substance-specific' system.

I may be mistaken questionmark, but I get a vague feeling that you're a rabid anti-monarchist! LOL (Or just someone who hates drug-taking horses)

Edited by ealdwita, 26 July 2014 - 12:36 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,751 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

View Postealdwita, on 26 July 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Drug testing on horses consists of a method called ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay).......a procedure similar to pregnancy testing and requires a single drop of urine. Increasingly, mass spectrometry is being used....a much more 'substance-specific' system.

I may be mistaken questionmark, but I get a vague feeling that you're a rabid anti-monarchist! LOL (Or just someone who hates drug-taking horses)

I hate people who risk hurting animals to increase their own prestige, whether they are monarchs or proletarians is quite irrelevant to me.

about me

#8    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,166 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 26 July 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

I hate people who risk hurting animals to increase their own prestige, whether they are monarchs or proletarians is quite irrelevant to me.

Nothing in this report suggests that opiates were deliberately administered...........I have had problems with suspected contaminated feedstuff myself in the past....all the time poppies and other weeds are allow to grow amongst arable feed-crops then this problem will occur from time to time. For instance, we spend a great deal of time here keeping the hay crop free of ragwort before it's mown. Pain in the butt...but it's gotta be done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users