Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crime rates in liberal cities shockingly high

OverSword

From the article:

A few years ago, the Bay Area Center For Voting Research listed the most conservative and most liberal cities in the United States. They did this by looking at how every American city with a population of at least 100,000 voted in the 2004 presidential election. Every vote for George W. Bush was counted as a "conservative" vote, and every vote for John F. Kerry counted as a "liberal" vote. Ballots cast for third party candidates were counted similarly, with votes for the Libertarian Party and Constitution Party nominees counting as "conservative" votes, and votes for the Green Party nominee, the Peace and Freedom Party nominee, and Ralph Nader counting as "liberal" votes.

Cities with more conservative votes than liberal votes are considered conservative cities, and cities with more liberal votes than conservative votes are considered liberal cities. Cities with the highest percentages of conservative votes were deemed the most conservative cities, and cities with the highest percentages of liberal votes were deemed the most liberal cities. Simple enough.

The 15 most conservative and 15 most liberal cities are listed below, along with their violent crime rates.

Read the rest here

• Like 1

First question: what is the rate of gun ownership in the conservative cities?

• Like 1

Good question. I would guess higher but wouldn't want to research by each city, although I'm sure the information is out there.

Edited by OverSword

This article uses Detroit as the archetypical liberal city?

ehm... it is so!... at least until Wednesday the 5th of November...

• Like 1

This article uses Detroit as the archetypical liberal city?

I think Detroit is bankrupt. If so then it seems reasonable to me. :innocent:

• Like 1

I think Detroit is bankrupt. If so then it seems reasonable to me. :innocent:

Detroit is perhaps a good example of what happens when a city is run almost exclusively by democrats.
  • Like 8

Shocking? Not really. I've been saying it for years here. Liberalism always generates the complete opposite of it's stated intent.

• Like 3

Liberalism goes easier, in general, on people who make shaky lifestyle choices, and refuse to assimilate into the national culture. So people who make "less social" decisions and don't want to be judged/punished for that will move to a more liberal city.

The "reverse" war on poverty that has been going on for years, where Liberals throw money at issues rather then dealing with the cultural roots of the problems, has been failing for several years.

The "reverse" war on poverty that has been going on for years, where Liberals throw money at issues rather then dealing with the cultural roots of the problems, has been failing for several years.

A prime example of generating the opposite.

Detroit is perhaps a good example of what happens when a city is run almost exclusively by democrats.

oh for the love of anything, not this again. detroit's problems are deep rooted and complex, and they sure as hell can not be blamed on any one political party or ideology.

the whole article seems really sketchy anyhow, they're pulling the election data from the 2004 election (ten years ago, almost) while the data on violent crime is coming from some sort of real estate site? though, the closer i look, the real estate site does seem to have a lot of info. still trying to find dates.

i don't know. this does not seem like the best methodology. not even getting into the fact that both crime and poverty have a lot of different causes, and there article doesn't examine why people in these areas vote the way they do. they got correlation and causation all mixed up. it's a mess.

• Like 3

i don't know. this does not seem like the best methodology. not even getting into the fact that both crime and poverty have a lot of different causes, and there article doesn't examine why people in these areas vote the way they do. they got correlation and causation all mixed up. it's a mess.

yeh, but very effective indoctrinating those who don't bother to think about it....

I couldn't find a website for this organization, nor any information about it other than what's in the original post. Since I don't know anything about the organization, how it's funded, etc. I can't give much weight to the study. Does anyone have a link to this organization so I can learn something about it?

In a sense, isn't Detroit the "poster boy" for whats happening across our entire country under such a liberal administration. With so many obvious examples of the far lefts failed social and economic policies, what will it take for them to realize that the possibility exists that a middle ground might be better for the country across the board( and that applies to the right as well).

As far as the poll, well, you reap what you sow. And I'm very surprised that Chicago isn't on the list of top violent liberal cities.

• Like 1

In a sense, isn't Detroit the "poster boy" for whats happening across our entire country under such a liberal administration. With so many obvious examples of the far lefts failed social and economic policies, what will it take for them to realize that the possibility exists that a middle ground might be better for the country across the board( and that applies to the right as well).

As far as the poll, well, you reap what you sow. And I'm very surprised that Chicago isn't on the list of top violent liberal cities.

No Detroit was made the poster boy for what happened, what Detroit actually is, is the poster boy of what happens when private interests take precedence over public interest and sooner or later will happen to a conservative city once its monoculture production is not competitive.

• Like 1

oh for the love of anything, not this again. detroit's problems are deep rooted and complex, and they sure as hell can not be blamed on any one political party or ideology.

That's why I said perhaps it is an example. But lets be honest about Detroit. Detroit is in the position it's in now because it was ran poorly, and it was ran by democrats. See how a person might make the correlation? It's not like the city government was unaware that the auto production industry in the USA was rapidly shrinking. They did a poor job (to put it mildly) making the city attractive to other types of business's.

Edited by OverSword

I was looking at Detroit on citydata.com yesterday and as I was scrolling through stats I seen new home production through the years. It went from several hundred new homes a year a few decades ago to four, yes 4, new homes being built in 2013.

Detroit's problems are indeed a hint of what's to come for America and I fear the rest of us as well, however it's not "the Liberals" fault, or "the Democrats" fault.

It's the fault of 20th century thinking in a 21st century economy.

Rather like how the First World War's shocking death toll and inept management was the result of 19th century thinking in a 20th century war, old thinking cannot cope with new problems.

What do I suggest we do?

Stuffed if I know, I'm a 20th century citizen of the world. I may actually be TOO 20th century. We need people born this century to solve this century's problems.

• Like 1

What do I suggest we do?

Stuffed if I know, I'm a 20th century citizen of the world. I may actually be TOO 20th century. We need people born this century to solve this century's problems.

Yep. Get those kids working!

Shocking? Not really. I've been saying it for years here. Liberalism always generates the complete opposite of it's stated intent.

And conservatives always generate their stated intent...that they are **** morons.

That's why I said perhaps it is an example. But lets be honest about Detroit. Detroit is in the position it's in now because it was ran poorly, and it was ran by democrats.

Right, the problems in Detroit are because of LIBERALS!

I mean, it's not like there was any particularly big privately run industry that the city relied on there that collapsed or anything like that.

Poverty leads to more blue collar crime.

Poverty also leads people to stop voting for policy that favors businesses. Conservatives happen to be the party of big business.

Right, the problems in Detroit are because of LIBERALS!

I mean, it's not like there was any particularly big privately run industry that the city relied on there that collapsed or anything like that.

Poverty leads to more blue collar crime.

Poverty also leads people to stop voting for policy that favors businesses. Conservatives happen to be the party of big business.

Grow up. How much power does a city have? Not much at all. They still have to follow state and federal regulations. The way a city leans is not going to affect how it does economically. Is that a hard thing to understand? If it is...go to college.

No Detroit was made the poster boy for what happened, what Detroit actually is, is the poster boy of what happens when private interests take precedence over public interest and sooner or later will happen to a conservative city once its monoculture production is not competitive.

I don't think there is such thing as public interest.

And conservatives always generate their stated intent...that they are **** morons.

The people that are too far left or right are morons. Balance is the key. Even drinking too much water will kill you right? Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1