Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Crime rates in liberal cities shockingly high

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,152 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

From the article:

A few years ago, the Bay Area Center For Voting Research listed the most conservative and most liberal cities in the United States. They did this by looking at how every American city with a population of at least 100,000 voted in the 2004 presidential election. Every vote for George W. Bush was counted as a "conservative" vote, and every vote for John F. Kerry counted as a "liberal" vote. Ballots cast for third party candidates were counted similarly, with votes for the Libertarian Party and Constitution Party nominees counting as "conservative" votes, and votes for the Green Party nominee, the Peace and Freedom Party nominee, and Ralph Nader counting as "liberal" votes.
Cities with more conservative votes than liberal votes are considered conservative cities, and cities with more liberal votes than conservative votes are considered liberal cities. Cities with the highest percentages of conservative votes were deemed the most conservative cities, and cities with the highest percentages of liberal votes were deemed the most liberal cities. Simple enough.
The 15 most conservative and 15 most liberal cities are listed below, along with their violent crime rates.

Read the rest here

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,092 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

First question: what is the rate of gun ownership in the conservative cities?

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,152 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

Good question.  I would guess higher but wouldn't want to research by each city, although I'm sure the information is out there.

Edited by OverSword, 23 July 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#4    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 4,283 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

This article uses Detroit as the archetypical liberal city?

Her singing always cheered him up. Life seemed so much brighter when she stopped.

T. Pratchett.

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

View Postbubblykiss, on 23 July 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

ehm... it is so!... at least until Wednesday the 5th of November...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,891 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

View Postbubblykiss, on 23 July 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

I think Detroit is bankrupt. If so then it seems reasonable to me. :innocent:

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#7    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,152 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostBama13, on 23 July 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

I think Detroit is bankrupt. If so then it seems reasonable to me. :innocent:
Detroit is perhaps a good example of what happens when a city is run almost exclusively by democrats.

#8    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,810 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Shocking? Not really. I've been saying it for years here. Liberalism always generates the complete opposite of it's stated intent.

#9    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

Liberalism goes easier, in general, on people who make shaky lifestyle choices, and refuse to assimilate into the national culture. So people who make "less social" decisions and don't want to be judged/punished for that will move to a more liberal city.

The "reverse" war on poverty that has been going on for years, where Liberals throw money at issues rather then dealing with the cultural roots of the problems, has been failing for several years.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#10    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,810 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:02 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 July 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

The "reverse" war on poverty that has been going on for years, where Liberals throw money at issues rather then dealing with the cultural roots of the problems, has been failing for several years.

A prime example of generating the opposite.

#11    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,566 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostOverSword, on 23 July 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Detroit is perhaps a good example of what happens when a city is run almost exclusively by democrats.

oh for the love of anything, not this again. detroit's problems are deep rooted and complex, and they sure as hell can not be blamed on any one political party or ideology.

the whole article seems really sketchy anyhow, they're pulling the election data from the 2004 election (ten years ago, almost) while the data on violent crime is coming from some sort of real estate site? though, the closer i look, the real estate site does seem to have a lot of info. still trying to find dates.

i don't know. this does not seem like the best methodology. not even getting into the fact that both crime and poverty have a lot of different causes, and there article doesn't examine why people in these areas vote the way they do. they got correlation and causation all mixed up. it's a mess.

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

View Postseaturtlehorsesnake, on 24 July 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

i don't know. this does not seem like the best methodology. not even getting into the fact that both crime and poverty have a lot of different causes, and there article doesn't examine why people in these areas vote the way they do. they got correlation and causation all mixed up. it's a mess.

yeh, but very effective indoctrinating those who don't bother to think about it....

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#13    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

I couldn't find a website for this organization, nor any information about it other than what's in the original post. Since I don't know anything about the organization, how it's funded, etc. I can't give much weight to the study. Does anyone have a link to this organization so I can learn something about it?

#14    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

In a sense, isn't Detroit the "poster boy" for whats happening across our entire country under such a liberal administration. With so many obvious examples of the far lefts failed social and economic policies, what will it take for them to realize that the possibility exists that a middle ground might be better for the country across the board( and that applies to the right as well).

As far as the poll, well, you reap what you sow. And I'm very surprised that Chicago isn't on the list of top violent liberal cities.

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 24 July 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

In a sense, isn't Detroit the "poster boy" for whats happening across our entire country under such a liberal administration. With so many obvious examples of the far lefts failed social and economic policies, what will it take for them to realize that the possibility exists that a middle ground might be better for the country across the board( and that applies to the right as well).

As far as the poll, well, you reap what you sow. And I'm very surprised that Chicago isn't on the list of top violent liberal cities.

No Detroit was made the poster boy for what happened, what Detroit actually is, is the poster boy of what happens when private interests take precedence over public interest and sooner or later will happen to a conservative city once its monoculture production is not competitive.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users