Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Feminism is Misunderstood

Leonardo

Young women around the world have been posting selfies in protest against feminist ideas.

The movement started on Tumblr, before moving to Twitter and Facebook. There's been a strong reaction from feminists, who say their ideas have been misunderstood.

BBC Trending meets some of the women involved on both sides.

source

I watched this short documentary on the BBC website, and I felt embarrassed for so many of the women in it who professed to know what feminism is, but showed they really didn't.

When you listen to one of the organisers of the "Women Against Feminism" movement explain how the perception of feminism is that it promotes "all men as rapists", you see how people have equated militant female sexism with feminism.

It is quite ironic how groups such as this rail against feminism, when it is feminism that has made it possible for their voices to be heard in the first place. It is even more ironic when the woman at beginning of the video complains she wants women to be able to speak their views on feminism without being "called uneducated", when it is precisely the lack of education regarding what feminism is - and isn't - that has led to movements such as this arising.

And the trend seen in the short video suggesting many young women believe "we don't need feminism anymore"?!?! As soon as you stop fighting for something, you lose it. Even when, and if, complete equality in opportunity is reached between the genders, feminism will still be "needed" to see those standards do not slip back.

Feminism is not about women being told to "not be housewives", it is about having the choice of being a housewife - not have that be an expectation because of gender.

There is so much ignorance regarding what feminism is - even among women.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

I'm aware of what feminism really is and I know many women use it in the wrong context, But that's how it is with a lot of things. People take something and twist it around to mean what they want it to mean.

I have a friend who has hopped on with this. I found it interesting that some of these anti-folks are complaining that feminists are generalizing all men being rapists among other issues... yet they themselves are generalizing all feminists together by making commentary like this.

Feminism is supposed to be about "equality" but lately it doesn't seem that way. Some "extreme feminists" have even threated people with rape, suicide, and other stuff because these people don't agree with them on tumblr. I had a family who would post links and argue with people about things and believed she was right. It popped up on my dash daily and had enough when it came to the American soldiers thing. ._.; It doesn't sound like it's about "equality" anymore.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies. Yes, there are what some call "extreme feminists", but these women aren't really feminists at all, but sexists. Just as some of the extreme elements of the anti-racism movement were (and are) themselves racists.

There appear to be few of the more vocal exponents of feminism, however, who recognise the difference.

Edited by Leonardo

Funny, I had a discussion with my daughter and her friend a couple months ago about what feminism really is. I also told them that the way women are portraying themselves these days, they are undoing everything that women before us fought for.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Yes, there are what some call "extreme feminists", but these women aren't really feminists at all, but sexists. Just as some of the extreme elements of the anti-racism movement were (and are) themselves racists.

There appear to be few of the more vocal exponents of feminism, however, who recognise the difference.

The term you're looking for is misandrist.

• Like 1

The term you're looking for is misandrist.

Misandry and misogyny are both forms of sexism.

Let me ask just one question to everyone:

"Would you be in favor of a law requiring all female U.S. citizens (or country you're from), who are 18 through 25, to register with Selective Service (draft)?"

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 1

Everyone knows that the feminist movement claims to be about equality( and use to be)

But the actions of the modern day feminist movement speak differently. Its seems more anti-male now in days

Thats why my generations annoyed by them.

• Like 2

Funny, I had a discussion with my daughter and her friend a couple months ago about what feminism really is. I also told them that the way women are portraying themselves these days, they are undoing everything that women before us fought for.

I agree. I have complete respect for what many of the feminist in the past have done and some still do. It took courage.

Alot of the modern ones who claim to be feminist are giving it a bad name

• Like 3

I am scared and confused by feminists, they scream and act aggressive about things, and then just when you get a handle on it some other feminist comes along and goes on about something completely differently which revolves around all men being potential rapists and that we live in patriarchal society. Don't even dare point out that here in the UK we have a Queen and that a previous Prime Minister was female.. So now I just talk to the hot chicks when I'm out drinking, they tend to be chill.

• Like 2

Everyone knows that the feminist movement claims to be about equality( and use to be)

But the actions of the modern day feminist movement speak differently. Its seems more anti-male now in days

I am scared and confused by feminists, they scream and act aggressive about things, and then just when you get a handle on it some other feminist comes along and goes on about something completely differently which revolves around all men being potential rapists and that we live in patriarchal society. Don't even dare point out that here in the UK we have a Queen and that a previous Prime Minister was female.. So now I just talk to the hot chicks when I'm out drinking, they tend to be chill.

Which is part of the point I am making - that many people, including many women who claim to be feminists - don't actually understand what feminism is. Feminism gets a bad rap because of this.

Misandry and misogyny are both forms of sexism.

I know, I just didn't even know there was a term for women who hate men until recently. I just wanted to post it because I sure others on here have not heard of it as well.

But I have notice lately that there is a new trend in feminism that seems to go hand in hand with misandry.

Edited by Odin11

I have a transgendering friend who is going through the motions to blossom into a woman.

When she informed me of the very expensive, painful and time consuming plan I told her I am a modern man who believes in gender equality and to prove it I would allow her to purchase all of my drinks at the bar from now.

Look at me, empowering women everywhere.

• Like 3

I know, I just didn't even know there was a term for women who hate men until recently. I just wanted to post it. lol

Fair enough, and it's worth pointing out the term for the sake of education alone. Thanks.

But I have notice lately that there is a new trend in feminism that seems to go hand in hand with misandry.

I know that is the common perception, but it's not really a modern trend in feminism. Feminism is still the same as it has always been, it's just that there are many more vocal sexists who claim to be feminists - but aren't.

Edited by Leonardo

Let me ask just one question to everyone:

"Would you be in favor of a law requiring all female U.S. citizens (or country you're from), who are 18 through 25, to register with Selective Service (draft)?"

Absolutely. Men are required, women should be as well.

• Like 3

Absolutely. Men are required, women should be as well.

YAY!

You are the first woman that I've asked this question to that has said yes, and I've asked a lot of people.

• Like 1

source

I watched this short documentary on the BBC website, and I felt embarrassed for so many of the women in it who professed to know what feminism is, but showed they really didn't.

When you listen to one of the organisers of the "Women Against Feminism" movement explain how the perception of feminism is that it promotes "all men as rapists", you see how people have equated militant female sexism with feminism.

It is quite ironic how groups such as this rail against feminism, when it is feminism that has made it possible for their voices to be heard in the first place. It is even more ironic when the woman at beginning of the video complains she wants women to be able to speak their views on feminism without being "called uneducated", when it is precisely the lack of education regarding what feminism is - and isn't - that has led to movements such as this arising.

And the trend seen in the short video suggesting many young women believe "we don't need feminism anymore"?!?! As soon as you stop fighting for something, you lose it. Even when, and if, complete equality in opportunity is reached between the genders, feminism will still be "needed" to see those standards do not slip back.

Feminism is not about women being told to "not be housewives", it is about having the choice of being a housewife - not have that be an expectation because of gender.

There is so much ignorance regarding what feminism is - even among women.

This is the plight of causes when their focus shifts from being "pro" something to more "anti" something and lose their way.

This is the plight of causes when their focus shifts from being "pro" something to more "anti" something and lose their way.

Sounds like the whole "Die as the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" cliche

c'mon you lot, less of the gabbing & get back in the kitchen, that washing-up ain't gonna do itself....

:-P

YAY!

You are the first woman that I've asked this question to that has said yes, and I've asked a lot of people.

Seriously? That's messed up that I'm the first. I think that the lack of requirement is rather... antiquated. The debate about women on the front lines and some problems with the "old boys club" are not right too IMO. If it's all about equality, women should be equal in requirement, battle positions, and not being accosted as men are.

• Like 1

People have been annoyed with the feminist movement since it began, not just lately.

• Like 1

Feminists do not grasp the effects of their movement because they're oblivious to anything other than their own agendas.

For anyone who runs up against a feminist, try some of the bullet points found in the below video.

Feminism is misunderstood, this video explains it perfectly:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

Feminists do not grasp the effects of their movement because they're oblivious to anything other than their own agendas.

For anyone who runs up against a feminist, try some of the bullet points found in the below video.

Feminism is misunderstood, this video explains it perfectly:

I would suggest that video does not explain perfectly how feminism is misunderstood. It instead attempts to depict feminism as arising from a capitalist vs communist dichotomy - which has nothing to do with feminism at all.

Feminism is about self-determination. About women assigning themselves their own roles - not having men assign those roles for them. It has nothing to do with 'wage-slavery', etc.